GO!

chicken gizzards

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Chipper

That's MR.- Momma's Boy to- you!

Barked: Fri Jun 19, '09 4:41pm PST 
Can you cook chicken gizzards and use them as treats? I have a big package of them and would like to give them to Chipper for treats. Any ideas? I assume they can just be boiled, but wanted to make sure there was nothing I should be aware of.
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Fri Jun 19, '09 4:57pm PST 
Sandy loves gizzards. Every Thanksgiving, when my mom makes the turkey, I tell her to save some gizzards for the dogs. When she's all done, I boil the gizzards and the dogs have their own little meal.

Boiling, I've heard, is the best way. Sandy gets chicken gizzards every now and then, too. I don't see why you couldn't use them as a treat. Sandy would do a lot of tricks for small pieces. Just cut them up (it's hard, though! they're tough!) and they can even be a training treat!
[notify]
Chipper

That's MR.- Momma's Boy to- you!

Barked: Fri Jun 19, '09 5:03pm PST 
Sweet! I'll boil them up tomorrow. I thought they may be tough to cut. I have nice sharp kitchen scissors that I use for Chipper's beef liver, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

How about chicken livers? Same deal? Just boil them plain?
[notify]

Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Fri Jun 19, '09 5:26pm PST 
They are REALLY hard to cut. I have to practically saw through them. But, my knives aren't that sharp. I really want some sharper ones. I'd do anything to have those scizzors you have.

Liver should be given in moderation; but, other than that, it's basically the same thing. I usually just boil it plain, as well. way to go
[notify]
Pumpkin Pie

Picky Pumpkin

Barked: Fri Jun 19, '09 10:21pm PST 
Raw is easier to cut. You can maybe cut them raw and boil them. Then you can use those things you use for pasta to separate the meat from the water.
[notify]