GO!

List of human food that's good for dogs

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Laura-SD

Anything worth- it is not free

Barked: Mon May 25, '09 9:51am PST 
Can someone provide me a list of human foods that are good/not good for dogs? I want to make some homemade dog treats for my pack, but since I'm new to the homemade world I don't want to give them anything that's bad for them.

Thanks! wave
[notify]
Emperor- Napoleon- Bone-a-parte

I'll conquer- you!

Barked: Mon May 25, '09 11:49am PST 
Bad foods-
Grapes
Onions
Nutmeg (I think)
Chocolate
Coffee/Tea
Macadamia Nuts
Raisins
Mushrooms
Garlic
[notify]
Cookie

I'm a tough- Cookie

Barked: Tue May 26, '09 1:37am PST 
Hmmm, well here are the good foods:
Potatoes (mashed but neveerrrr fried)
Carrots
Sardines (yummy when mixed with rice)
Squash
Tomato sauce
Rice mixed with chicken breast (no skin, two tsps of gravy mixed in)
Bananas
dancing Apples (HAVE TO BE PUREED and mixed with something)
Spaghetti noodles (yummy when mixed w/ canned tomato sauce or two tbsps corn oil found in canned sardines)
Corn (it's ok)
Butter (only 3 tbsps at the most, I like mixing butter with chicken, rice and other kinds of meat when necessary but mixing it with vegetables is good too)
Celery
Pork (only a little bit, maybe mixed with a soup along with a viand and delishhh soft rice and a soft veggie preferably potatoes,squash et al.)
Cream (TAKE PRECAUTION,ONLY A LITTLE BIT. ok to have HALF A TBSP mixed with spaghetti noodles, veggies or meat)
Sweet potatoes (yummm!)
Broccoli

Hope I helped wave
[notify]

Fred

I love the sound- of my own voice

Barked: Tue May 26, '09 7:19am PST 
Mine love:

Plain yogurt
squash- cooked
zuchini - cooked
potatos - oven roasted
Oatmeal - the old fashion kind
egg noodles
parsley
cinnamon
eggs - scrambled
asparagus
lunch meat
cheese
hot dogs
bacon
tuna
strawberries
bannana's
tortilla chips
cheerios

I could go on for days smile
[notify]
Laura-SD

Anything worth- it is not free

Barked: Tue May 26, '09 7:38pm PST 
This is great, thank you all! blue dog

What about milk? Some recipes I've found call for milk.
[notify]
Babee

Barked: Tue May 26, '09 7:48pm PST 
I'd say the Emperor has is right....
the list of bad things is MUCH easier to remember laugh out loud
[notify]
Fred

I love the sound- of my own voice

Barked: Wed May 27, '09 6:19am PST 
some dogs are ok with dairy and some are not - try a little amount and if your dog accepts it then I think its fine.

My dogs get some cheese in their food every day to build up their acceptance to dairy. They also get a daily pill that I wrap in cream cheese. They also get yogurt on a regular basis so mine are fine with dairy.
[notify]
Clubber

What do you mean- this isn't my- couch?

Barked: Wed May 27, '09 6:58am PST 
Why do the apples need to be pureed? Clubber takes a quarter of my Granny Smith whenever he can get away with it. Is that bad? Also, he loves watermelon of all things.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Wed May 27, '09 10:05am PST 
Clubber, fruits and veggies that are not either cooked or pureed are not really digestible for dogs. They may enjoy them, and have little or no trouble with them, but they don't get a lot of nutrition or calories from them.

So if it's part of your dog's diet, rather than just a treat, cooking or pureeing is important. But if it's just a treat, it's a good thing that they get to enjoy them without getting calories from them. big grin
[notify]
Misty

Can I chase it?!

Barked: Wed May 27, '09 11:55am PST 
Actually, garlic is fine for dogs. It actually helps eliminate bugs like fleas, and it can also help prevent intestinal nasties like worms and stuff. It's onions that are bad for dogs. They both contain the same chemical, but it would be VERY hard for a dog to get ahold of enough garlic to be dangerous at all.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3