GO!

Adding eggs to dog's food

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Glady Jo

I am weenie,- behold my roar!

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 2:41pm PST 
Hello. I feed my dog Glady NB Venison & Sweet Potato. I realize that it's not that high in calories, but it is the successful find during a long search for a food that would help with her allergies. To say the least, I don't want to change it after all we've been through. She has trouble maintaining weight though. I am wondering about adding a mild protein source to her diet. I know that eggs are pretty mild on the digestive system, not to mention easy to scramble up and add to her food. Sound like a good idea? thinking

Edited by author Fri Jan 2, '09 2:42pm PST

[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 3:24pm PST 
Nature's most perfect food. My dogs love them raw from a custard cup. I know Lily would not eat the shell and I've never tried Moira with one. Wonderful for Gladys Jo's skin and coat. My research several years ago said four a week for a 50 pound dog, but Moira gets as many as Lily and she weighs 26 pounds.

Go slowly - some dogs find them a little rich. Mine never have - even when Lily had IBS. They like them on top of plain yogurt, too.
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 6:48pm PST 
Dogs love them and they're good for the skin and coat. What better a thing to add to their diet? Lily's right, though. I read that a 50 lb dog should get about 4 a week if you feed them. However, I've found myself giving my small dogs just as many a week as my big dogs. Though, I've read that for a 10-20 lb dog, 1 or 2 a week is best.

EDITED TO ADD: The BEST thing about eggs is the variety in which you can cook them. My dogs (and cats) prefer them raw. However, sometimes I cook them just to spice it up a bit. However, when I fry them (sunny side up, por favor) I don't use butter at all and instead find something healthier to put on the pan. Don't want the eggs to be too high in butter. Same with scrambled. The dogs love them poached. Though, that's a delicacy because I have trouble cooking them that way. And, boiled is something they get from time to time, too. However, more often than not- I just crack them in a bowl, mix them up with a fork and serve them over their homecooked meal- raw.

Edited by author Fri Jan 2, '09 6:54pm PST

[notify]

Glady Jo

I am weenie,- behold my roar!

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 7:24pm PST 
Awesome! Thanks for your responses. I was a bit worried that it would upset her tummy. Or that it wouldn't be enough to help her maintain weight. But I'll try one a week to start. way to go And maybe the other dogs can be included in this fun. Heh...otherwise the jealousy would be palpable! laugh out loud
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 7:28pm PST 
BOL I know what you mean about the jealousy! I gave the dogs some egg one day... and the cats got jealous. So, I felt obligated to include them, too. smile

Well, Sandy has maintained her weight. She gained for a minute there- but that was RIGHT after switching her to homecooked. So, I figure it had something to do with the change. She's been at 14 lbs for a while now, however.

I started at 1 a week, too. Sandy seemed able to handle it. :] Good luck and I hope your dog(s) love eggs as much as mine do!
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 10:14am PST 
I would hard cook a dozen at a time and feed one dog the whites and the other the yolks. Humans ate them as well. Hard cooked is so easy and makes a great snack. My dogs do prefer scrambled though.
[notify]
Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Why sit when you- could lie down?

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 4:06pm PST 
I usually suggest that dog start with one a week and work your way up until you:

A) have an adverse reaction (splarts are most common)
B) are gaining to much weight
C) are at one a day

Kodi eats at least one a day (sometimes two) and has never had a problem. I just crack in on top of his normal meal. I rinse and dry out the shells, grind them up and keep them on for days that need a little more bone or for a case of the splarts.
[notify]
Victor

nothin like some- nubbin luvin

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 5:19pm PST 
Vic is on the exact same food, even Venison and Sweet Potato. I give him eggs occasionally and he loves them. Has not messed with his stomach yet. You may also want to try Virgin Coconut Oil if he has flaky skin like my boy. It is also a nice add on to kibble and apparently is delectable. My next project though is Salmon Oil, for he is still a little flaky at times.
[notify]
Kobe

I'm the- Kobenator. I'll- be back!

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 10:31pm PST 
Mom was brushing me today and she saw white flakes on my hair. I don't like Salmon oil though and she has never tried to feed me raw eggs. This web site says raw eggs are not good for dogs

Food you should not feed your dog

She gives us scrambled or hard boiled eggs sometimes. What else can she give me for my flaky skins. Where do you buy this coconut oil?

thinkingshrug

Edited by author Sat Jan 3, '09 10:34pm PST

[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 10:43pm PST 
Yeah, the raw egg white has a protein that binds up a vitamin B. Trick is the yolk over balances the issue AND the difficiency only happens if you feed a ridiculous number of raw egg whites - the sort of numbers body builders might eat daily or more. Use cooked eggs if you prefer, folks argue about whether raw is better than cooked but both are just fine by me.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2