GO!

Will this work? Yogurt coating recipe for cookies.

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Pepsi - The Cola Kid

Oohh, a- Squirrel!

Barked: Fri Dec 5, '08 10:31am PST 
Mom loves baking treats for me, but for the holidays she wants to dress them up, not just for me but for my pals as well. She's having a hard time finding yogurt chips and thought she'd try to make a coating from scratch. Here are a couple of recipes she found, but they call for a lot of sugar. Could she substitute honey for the sugar? Honey has a sweetening ratio of 2 to one over sugar, so she's thinking half the amount of honey for the sugar. She just wants to coat the cookies and maybe color the icing to drizzle over them. What do you guys think?

Yogurt Coating I
Instructions
Difficulty: Easy
Things You’ll Need:
· double boiler
· tongs or dipping fork
· waxed paper or cookie racks
· 250 gram pkg cream cheese
· 5 cups icing sugar (or 2 1/2 cups
honey)
· 1 tsp vanilla
· 1/4 cup plain yogurt
Step1
Soften cream cheese and place it in the top pot of the double boiler and add the icing sugar and yogurt. Put just enough water in the bottom of the double boiler that it won't touch the underside of the top pot, and bring the water to a gentle boil.
Step2
Put the top pot in place and stir gently and continuously until the cream cheese mixture is melted and well blended. Stir in the vanilla. Turn the heat off, but leave the double boiler on the burner so the water remains hot but not boiling.
Step3
With tongs or a dipping fork, dip cookies in the melted mixture. Place them on wax-paper lined cookie sheets, or on wire cookie cooling racks.
Step4
Once the yogurt coated pieces are cool and dry, store them between layers of waxed paper in covered tupperware-type containers.

Yogurt Coating II
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (or 3/4 cup
honey)
1 tsp. light corn syrup
2 tbs. butter
1 1/2 tsps. vanilla

In a large, heavy saucepan, stir together yogurt, sugar (or honey )and corn syrup. Place over
medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and reaches 223° on a candy thermometer, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat; add butter and stir until melted. Add vanilla flavoring; stir rapidly 1 minute. Dip cookies in coating, place on waxed paper to harden.
[notify]
Jersey

I like to jump- like a kangaroo!

Barked: Fri Dec 5, '08 11:52am PST 
I haven't tried making my own yogurt coating (yet!), but I purchase my yogurt coating for my doggy treat business online from Barry Farms (www.barryfarm.com). They have both the chips and block.
[notify]
Irena Ted

Got Sheep?

Barked: Fri Dec 5, '08 12:40pm PST 
The icing sugar ("powdered" sugar) has corn starch in it that will help the frosting harden. That recipe won't work without the powdered sugar.

The second one uses crystalized corn syrup to make a "Candy" coating. Honey won't work because it's got too much water in it.
[notify]