GO!

List of Foods: Good & Bad. Questions (lots) about HomeCooked Diet

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Roxy

AttentionAholic

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '07 10:54am PST 
Okay, first of all be prepared for my lengthy post, but mom has a case of OPD (obsessive pup disorder) BOL! Anyway, I have done my best to come up with a good list of the foods that are Good for the dogs, foods that are Bad for the dogs, and foods that I am Unsure of, which is where my questions come in. I'll give you my list first, then I'll ask my questions:

**GOOD FOODS**
MEATS
1.) Beef
2.) Bison
3.) Catfish
4.) Chicken
5.) Kidney
6.) Lamb
7.) Liver
8.) Mackrel
9.) Moose
10.)Musk
11.)Ox
12.)Rabbit
13.)Tilapia
14.)Turkey
15.)Ve nison

VEGETABLES
1.) Asparagus
2.) Bok Choy
3.) Carrots
4.) Celery
5.) GreenBeans
6.) GreenPepper
7.) Kale
8.) Parsley
9.) Peas
10.)Pumpkin
11.)Spinach
12.)Sweet Potatoe
13.)Zucchini

FRUITS
1.) Apples
2.) Bannanas
3.) Blueberries
4.) Cherries
5.) Cranberries
6.) Pears

STARCHES
1.) Barley
2.) Long Grain Brown Rice
3.) Oats (Whole, Rolled)
4.) Potatoes (Mashed, No Skin)
5.) Total Cereal
6.) Quinoa

SUPPLEMENTS (Safe but not necessarily needed)
1.) Bone Meal
2.) Cottage Cheese
3.) Egg (Cooked)
4.) Egg Shell
5.) Fish Oil
6.) Flaxseed Oil
7.) Honey (Raw,Local)
8.) Kelp
9.) Marine Phytoplankton
10.)Sesame Seeds
11.)Spirulina
12.)Yogurt
**Very Small Quantities Of Garlic

BAD FOODS
1.) Avacado
2.) Coffee
3.) Chocolate
4.) Eggs (Raw)
5.) Grapes
6.) Hops
7.) Lactose (Cow Milk, Etc.)
8.) Macadamia Nuts
9.) Moderate Amount of Garlic
10.)Mushrooms
11.)Mustard Seeds
12.)Nutmeg
13.)Nuts
14.)Onions
15.)Raisins
16.)Rhubarb Leaves
17.)Salt (Iodized,Table)
18.)Tea Leaves
19.)Walnuts
20.)Yeast Dough
21.)Xylitol
**Please Note I Will Never Feed
Leaves, Stems, Skin, Seeds, or Pits of any Fruit

QUESTIONABLE FOODS
1.) Apricot
2.) Blackberries
3.) Broccoli
4.) Cabbage
5.) Cantaloupe
6.) Cauliflower
7.) Ginger
8.) Lemon/Lime
9.) Oranges/Citrus Fruits/Extracts
10.)Peaches
11.)Peanuts/Peanut Butter
12.)Plums
13.)Pork
14.)Strawberries
15.)Squash
16.)Sweet Corn (Without Cob)
17.)Tomato
18.)Tuna
19.)Watercress
20.)Watermelon
21.)Whea t Germ

Okay, so that's my list. As I explained earlier, the list of good foods that I compiled is made up of all of the foods that I was able to find any benefit from. The Bad Foods, are just that, again these were put here because research led me to believe for one reason or another that they could possibly harm the dogs (even if only in large quantities). Now for the tricky part; the questionable foods. . . These foods, either I found zero information about them at all, Conflicting information, or research pointed to very mild affects on the dogs.
Before I ask my specific questions, please note that I am merely a dog owner. I am not an expert and I do not want a debate, so if I am wrong about something please just correct me. Internet-Intellect-Debates are really lame IMO and I could do without (don't mean to be cocky, I just don't want anyone arguing). So here are my questions:
1.) How much liver is too much?
2.) Can I use the Zip-N-Steam bags for veggies?
3.) Is Total really an okay source of carbs/starch?
4.) Should Quinoa be used as Carbs/Starch or as a supplement?
5.) Should any of the fruits be cooked (for better digestion)?
6.) Can dogs get a vitamin overload by using such things as Phytoplankton and Spirulina?
7.)If most dogs are lactose intolerant, should they still have cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, etc?
8.)Do dogs need daily intakes of water soluble vitamins like we do? If so, what is the best way to address this on a daily basis?
9.) Can dogs eat citrus (Oranges/Lemons)? If so, I can incorporate this into their daily Vitamin C intake.
10.)What foods will provide them with all of their B vitamins on a daily basis?
11.) Of the foods from EACH list, which ones would make a better staple diet (ie. two to three times a week, or one or two weeks straight, depending on type of rotation)?
12.) What is the best type of rotation schedule? Daily? Weekly? Bi-Weekly? Monthly?
13.)I have heard that all nuts to some degree are bad for dogs. How does this apply to peanut butter?

Thank you so much in advance for your responses!!!
[notify]
Bear

Bearly a Dog

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '07 11:01am PST 
Oh, I forgot:
14.) PORK!! Is this known as a bad meat primarily because of its high fat tendecies? If so, then its affects should differ from dog to dog, right? Or is it considered bad because of its risk of Trichinosis or other parasites? If so, would this matter if the food is cooked thoroughly (140* or higher (temperature said to kill this parasite))?
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '07 3:46pm PST 
I think you're overthinking this. I feed or have fed the following:

1.) Avacado
4.) Eggs (Raw)
5.) Grapes
7.) Lactose (Cow Milk, Etc.)
9.) Moderate Amount of Garlic
10.)Mushrooms
13.)Nuts
17.)Salt (Iodized,Table)

1.) Apricot
2.) Blackberries
3.) Broccoli
4.) Cabbage
5.) Cantaloupe (LOVES cantaloupe)
6.) Cauliflower
7.) Ginger
8.) Lemon/Lime (and it was funny)
10.)Peaches
12.)Plums
13.)Pork
14.)Strawberries
15.)Squash
17.)Tomato
18.)Tuna
20.)Watermelon

Common sense applies. Yes, tuna can be very bad. It contains some of the highest amounts of mercury of any fish. So don't feed it more than once a week. Same as you do for yourself, I'm sure. Dogs can react poorly to milk, just like humans. If they do, don't give them milk products. Some mushrooms are poisonous, but certainly not all. Don't let your dog eat things it finds in the yard, period, and he should be fine. Etc.

How much liver is too much?

I feed raw liver as about 5% of the overall diet. I feed that much because I generally feed an all raw diet and don't do much supplementing. I'm relying on organs to get a lot of nutrients. Feeding more than that you risk vitamin A toxicity. Although cooking does change the nature of a food, so if you're cooking it, it may be ok to feed more.

Can I use the Zip-N-Steam bags for veggies?

I'm personally uncomfortable with microwaving things in plastic, but if you're ok with it I don't see why not.

Is Total really an okay source of carbs/starch?

If you're like most, you're looking into homecooking out of concern for what you might be feeding in kibble, and to provide a fresher, less processed diet. If that's the case, I would never feed Total. The ingredients list reads like a poor quality dog food:

Whole grain wheat and brown rice flakes. Ingredients: whole grain wheat, sugar, calcium carbonate, whole grain brown rice, corn syrup, salt, lactose, monoglcerides, vitamin C (sodium ascorbate), beet juice concentrate and annatto extract color, zinc and iron (mineral nutrients), vitamin E (topopheryl acetate), a B vitamin (niacinamide), a B vitamin (calcium pantothenate), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamin mononitrate), a B vitamin (folic acid), vitamin A (palmitate), vitamin B12, vitamin D. Freshness preserved by BHT.

Should any of the fruits be cooked (for better digestion)?

I can't imagine a fruit I would want to eat cooked, other than apples. I think the meat of them is fairly digestible, but things like apple peel or whole orange slices would probably pass right through.

If most dogs are lactose intolerant, should they still have cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, etc

No should or shouldn't... If it doesn't bother them as an individual, there's no reason they can't have those things. But none of them are necessary.

Can dogs eat citrus (Oranges/Lemons)? If so, I can incorporate this into their daily Vitamin C intake.

Can, but most likely will not. Dogs tend to hate citrus (hence citronella bark collars). You could try oranges. Quite a few dogs like them. But I don't think I've ever found a dog who would eat a lemon. And I don't know how much vitamin C they would provide.

What is the best type of rotation schedule? Daily? Weekly? Bi-Weekly? Monthly?

I feed something different every night, unless there's enough of it to last several days. I've based his diet on turkey, because it's cheap, a good source of RMBs, and he doesn't like chicken much.

I have heard that all nuts to some degree are bad for dogs. How does this apply to peanut butter?

It's just not something you want to feed by the gallon. Vance doesn't really like nuts, but Belle thought they were great. She'd get a few walnuts or pecans once and a while as a treat. Some are worse than others... I've always heard macadamias are bad. Peanut butter in itself really isn't a fantastic food... It's loaded with sugar. But it's not going to hurt anything if you use moderation.

PORK!! Is this known as a bad meat primarily because of its high fat tendecies? If so, then its affects should differ from dog to dog, right? Or is it considered bad because of its risk of Trichinosis or other parasites? If so, would this matter if the food is cooked thoroughly (140* or higher (temperature said to kill this parasite))?

Trichinosis. But if you're feeding good pork, the risk is minimal. If you run a search, you'll find there are topics dealing with this in the forums. It's also taken care of if you cook the meat throughly. The only time the fat would be downright bad is if your dog is overweight, or prone to pancreatitis. That said, I wouldn't feed cooked meat with big globs of fat on it, like some cuts of pork can have... That I would trim.
[notify]

Bear

Bearly a Dog

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '07 8:50pm PST 
Thank you so much!! You nailed it for me and I got just what we all needed to hear. I do have a couple more questions though since you have been so informative. How long can meals (made in advance) be frozen before there is a great loss of nutrition (or will freezer burn happen first)? I ask because I am going to make my foods in bulk , but if it will be better to have something different every night, I can just make a few different meals and rotate the frozen portions nightly instead of finishing all of one type of meal before switching to another. Oh and one more thing.. more than anything I am having trouble comprehending the percentages of Proteins, Starches, Etc. as far as measurements go. I have two fifty pound dogs, so everything will be in either cups or pounds, but which one of these is the correct measurement? Or do I need to go deeper into detail and find out the amount of Calories per serving of each food item? Or what percentage of (ie. protein) per serving of each food item? I don't mean to be such a perfectionist; I just don't want to mess this up for them in any way. Oh, and what about the Quinoa? Do you know anypup who uses or knows about it? I have read many good things, but to be honest I don't know what the big deal is? Isn't it just a better quality grain than, say, rice? http://www.dogster.com/forums/post.php#
shrug

Edited by author Fri Sep 28, '07 8:56pm PST

[notify]
Winnie

Anything you can- do I can do- cuter!

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '07 10:09pm PST 
QUESTIONABLE FOODS
1.) Apricot
2.) Blackberries
3.) Broccoli
4.) Cabbage
5.) Cantaloupe
6.) Cauliflower
7.) Ginger
8.) Lemon/Lime
10.)Peaches
12.)Plums
13.)Pork
14.)Strawberries
15.)Squash
17.)Tomato
18.)Tuna
19.)Watercress
20.)Watermelon
21.)Wheat Germ

The ones that are bold, I've fed Winnie. Wheat germ is an ingredient in a lot of homemade dog biscuits. I feed raw eggs every other day and small amounts of peanut butter and nuts (except macadamias) occasionally. Like Vance said, tuna is high in mercury so I would feed it sparingly. I'm sure the other unbolded items in the list are fine too. It just depends on your dog's likes/dislikes.

Edited by author Fri Sep 28, '07 10:11pm PST

[notify]
Milly

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 4:54am PST 
I found a website which outlines what foods are bad for dogs. i had actually fed my dog grapes before i read it...but my dog must be either extremely lucky or have a strong stomach, because she's eaten rat poison at least twice, when she has snuck into the garage. we have now gotten rid of ALL the poison, as we didn't want to take any more chances.the website is:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1661&articleid=1 030
it's also pretty detailed about other stuff on most animals, and you can find your pets IQ.
[notify]
Bear

Bearly a Dog

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 9:47am PST 
Thanks a lot for the info. So I guess my only questionables that I care about now are citrus, tomato, and that Quinoa stuff. I appreciate everypups input so very much. We have been telling all of our pup friends what we are fixing to start eating...They're jealous, and their mommys think my mommy is crazy (she is). But that's okay; I can't wait for them to see how good we start looking bol.

Oh yeah, and how much do you large(50 ) pups eat homecooked? How much kibble did you eat before the switch? I eat about four cups of good kibble a day; so will I still eat that much? Everypup seems to say they eat less, but mom thinks I will eat more since its actually something I want to eat. We eat Orijen right now, but mom is going to switch us to Honet Kitchen and cooked meat until we get used to it (until she gets used to buying all those veggies) so that our switch will be slower and smoother. Does this sound okay to everyone?

Edited by author Sat Sep 29, '07 9:53am PST

[notify]
ANGEL Jill

Ball, ball...did- anyone see my- ball????

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 1:25pm PST 
I am a 15 pound Jack Russell Terrier. My mom home cooks for me. The food is (cooked weight)-50% meat, 25% sweet potatoes and 25% cooked vegies. (the diet also includes fish oil, calcium and a vitamin/mineral supplement) I eat 400 grams of this food everyday. There is 454 grams in a pound, so I am getting a little over 3/4 pound in cooked food each day.
Generally, little terrier breeds need more food than larger dogs because of their activity level.
The guide for raw feeders is 1 1/2 to 2% of the dogs weight in food each day.
Hope this helps!
Jill
[notify]
Gabe the Dog

It's Gabe. Gabe- the Dog

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '07 6:59pm PST 
Quinoa should be fine, it is high protein so I'd use it as a protein not a carb. Tomatoes should be fine, some kibble contains tomato pomace...for some reason I'm thinking no on the citrus...not that it' s poisonous like grapes, but just not well tolerated. If I find where I read that or what exactly the issue was, I'll repost...
[notify]
Bear

Bearly a Dog

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '07 6:55pm PST 
What are sweet potatoes considered? Thanks for clarifying that Quinoa is a protien source. Is cooked egg also considered protien? I can't wait... you guys have been very helpful. Also, we are inside dogs, but we have Very high energy levels. We make mom exercise alot, bol.

Edited by author Mon Oct 1, '07 6:57pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3