GO!

Is Carob Cake or White Chocolate okay for dogs to eat?

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
♥Bosk- o♥

the King of- Cuteness

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '07 11:54am PST 
My mom found a website that has dog cake recipies and one calls for carob chips and peanut butter. Would this be okay for me to eat??? And is white chocolate okay also, since it doesnt have the coaco bean in it???:==: boskopuppy
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '07 12:05pm PST 
Carob is safe for dogs. There are commercial carob treats on the market.

"It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog".

I have, on occasion, give Rosie a few white chocolate morsels.

White chocolate is made from cocoa butter and not cocoa beans and, therefore, very little theobromine.
[notify]
Bailey Boo

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '07 5:11pm PST 
Is anybody else totally craving carrot cake now? Just seeing this title on the forum page made me want some....

Don't know the answer...sorry! frown
[notify]

Bailey Boo

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '07 5:15pm PST 
Ok...must be pg cravings taking over...I just realized your post doesn't even say CARROT cake it says Carob cake. LOL!

Still hungry!
[notify]
Sebastian- Raven- Carter-Mills

Eat and Poop

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '07 3:00pm PST 
Personally I am hesitant about the white chocolate. I have read a lot that says it is safe and not to worry as long as it is in small portions. However, I am somewhat of a health freak so anything that is going to be harmful to me in a significant portion I probably don't want to mess with at anytime. The fact is white chocolate IS MADE from cocoa so it has the bad parts in it just not in a large amount. If you want/need something white for decoration or icing use the stuff that is used for almond bark or get the chips that are with the chocolate chips that are called white chips. NOTICE THERE IS NO CHOCOLATE MENTIONED. If you look at the ingredients there is NO COCOA of any kind in them. The Wilton's Melts that you can buy at the craft start for candie making are also the same. These all have sugar as the first ingredient but you are not going to be able to get away from that at least from my experience. Just make sure you don't get the Wilton's chocolate melts. Mental Note: If it says Cocoa in the ingredients DON'T CHANCE IT!

Onto the Carob question. My min. schnauzer LOVES Carob. I use it often to coat my homemade treats and he goes crazy over them. His favorite are the peanut butter treats with carob drizzled over the top. I keep them in the freezer so in this 100+ degree weather they are a nice frozen treat. I only use the all/natural peanut butter. I am crazy about organic ingredients for my self so it "naturally" extends to my dog as well. Regular peanut butter has unnecessary amounts of bad fats from oils and sugar. The big difference you will notice is all natural peanut butter separates however if you just stir it right when you get home and mix it up real good then keep it in the refrigerator it will not separate anymore and stay nice and spreadable.

Sorry for the long post and thanks to all that have stuck through it! Some may say I am too cautious but I am not a gambler.
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '07 3:29pm PST 
Carob is a safe healthy alternative to chocolate. It's practically fat free too, and very yummy smile

I would be careful not to use too much white chocolate. It has sugar, and it's also quite fatty.
[notify]
Rommel

RIP 1996 - 2008 We Miss You- Old Man

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '07 3:41pm PST 
I will take anyones leftovers , to make sure it is safe for all you doggies...
Thor
PS . try and space out the treats with sugar
[notify]
Thor

Hump Hump

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '07 4:26pm PST 
OOOpphhss !! I is so bad (darn keyboard & Paws dont mix ) ,,rommel's pic , but I posted it
Thor
[notify]
Isis

Ima Big Dog

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '07 1:33pm PST 
Ha ha Bailey Boo, I saw carrot cake too. I thought yeah sounds like it would be ok for a dog. Then I thought hey, that would be ok for me.

Anyways, carob sounds like a good alternative to chocolate, I used to use it a lot in my vegitarian/then health food, but not neccisarily vegitarian days. Gotta get back to the latter, seriously, if you are on a health food kick stay on it.
[notify]
Fozzie Bear

Why use a- dishwasher when- you have me?

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '07 4:08pm PST 
My parents get us carob cakes from the Three Dog Bakery for our birthdays. Yummy!

snoopy
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2