GO!

Healthy Powder

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Danny

Barked: Fri Jun 1, '07 6:11pm PST 
Us anyone making & using the healthy powder described in Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats? Your experience and thoughts please.
[notify]
Carmen Von- Woofer

Grab life by the- bones...

Barked: Fri Jun 1, '07 6:26pm PST 
I've heard about the "Healthy Powder" but I currently don't have that book yet! (Next on the list!) I would love to know what's in it though!!! puppy
[notify]
Cragar

Professional- Worm Roller

Barked: Sat Jun 2, '07 12:36pm PST 
I'm currently using Healthy Powder. I mixed up my first "batch" two weeks ago.

I was a little hesitant at first, especially since I was unfamiliar with most of the ingredients (except for the vitamin C, of course laugh out loud, but I found most of the stuff (nutritional yeast, lecithin granules, vitamin C powder for animals, powdered kelp) at a local health food store. The bone meal I ordered online.

My first impression was: the kelp powder stinks! laugh out loud Good lord, as far as I'm concerned it should be called powdered poop. Bleh! I can't smell it so much now that it's mixed in with everything else, though. I put it in a rubbermaid container and put it in the fridge.

I was also confused as to how exactly it should be used. According to Pitcairn's recipes, everything can just be mixed together and frozen. I preferred to add the healthy powder fresh to each meal, instead of mixing it in with the whole batch. When I make the doggie oats recipe, I cook everything up, cool it down, add the extra bone meal and vitamin E (mixed with the vegetable oil) and mix everything up. That's how I freeze it (in one cup portions). After doing a little math on how much healthy powder is in the entire recipe, I add just less than a teaspoon to each of Cragar's meals (he eats one cup of food three times per day.... it works out to be something like 0.9tsp powder per cup of food for that recipe.)

Since we've only been using it for two weeks, I haven't seen really dramatic results in Cragar, although his little "eye boogers" (as I call them, LOL) have pretty much gone away and his coat is a little bit softer than it was before (I've been home cooking for awhile, so his coat was silkier from that, but I think the lecithin helps with making it soft, too). He does have more energy, but whether that's the carb content in the recipes or the powder, I'm not sure.

Whew! Sorry I rambled. I hope that answers some of your question smile

Cheers!
[notify]

Danny

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '07 2:05pm PST 
I call them eye boogers too. Or sleep boogers. I've been trying out a variety of recipes and supplements: petdiet.com, Donald Strombeck's book, Pitcairn's book, and BalanceIT. I like the ration of protein to carb in Pitcairn's. BalanceIT is similar (their high protein recipes). I've been using the BalanceIT supplement because it is all-in-one. I was interested in Pitcairn's because it is more natural. Thanks for your post.
[notify]
Hoelle Jagdhund Jaeger

Tofu Pups!

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '07 6:20pm PST 
Wow, I just read this book and thought it was great, funny to see it the next day on here! I was very interested in using some of his recipes, expecially some of the vegetarian ones, nice to hear that the HP worked out for you guys. I'll have to make some up myself big grin
[notify]
Aina- Aloysius de- LeMaitre

work hard, play- hard

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '07 12:52pm PST 
I currently make another healthy powder for Aina and the cats. It's very similar to the one in Dr. Pitcairn's book but has a little extra goodness. All the animals love the stuff and it's incredibly easy to make. Yum, yum!
[notify]
Rudy

I love my new- diet! Raw- foods!!!!

Barked: Sat Apr 16, '11 2:59pm PST 
I googled healthy powder today (April,2011) and found this inactive post. Maybe I can bring it back to life!

I have used healthy powder (Pitcairn recipe) with great results. I suggest it to everyone as a great economical addition to their diets for the nutritional value.
[notify]
Summer

It's not a walk,- it's a- sniffathon!!

Barked: Sun Apr 17, '11 5:37am PST 
Hi Rudy wave

Glad to hear the HP is working for you. We used to make meals and use it when we used more veggies and didn't give bones.
It is highly nutritious stuff!!!
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Mon Apr 18, '11 10:28am PST 
I was a little lazy to get my book so I looked up on line and found some other healthy powder recipes too here
http://www.banditsbuddies.com/recipes.shtml
[notify]