|Barked: Thu Jul 25, '13 4:46pm PST |
|I can't hold Sausage still by force, so I clicker trained her to deal with nail clipping. This way it becomes a game, and they actively concentrate on holding their paws still for you. You might want to replace the click with a verbal thing though, since your hands will be full.
1. Touch the paw, click and treat.
2. Hold the paw, click and treat.
3. Play with the paw a bit, click and treat.
4. Get out the clippers while holding the paw, click and treat.
5. Poke the paw with the clippers, click and treat.
6. Clip the air in front of his paw, click and treat.
7. Clip the tip of his claw, click and treat.
That's enough for one training session, the next day you might try clipping an entire paw and clicking + treating after each toe. Over time you'll stop clicking and treating for each claw, and only reward for clipping a whole paw, then only rewarding every second paw, then only rewarding after the entire clipping session is done.
|my posts | my page | msg me | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|