GO!

Thinking of taking Moose to get his nails clipped

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Jun 21, '13 8:52pm PST 
Moose no longer is fine with me cutting his nails. He isn't a pill about it, but his patience with it is about zero now.
I take a super yummy treat, usually frozen baby food, and let him lick it while I trim his nails. Up until now I've been able to go slow and take slivers off each nail. If he pulled away, I'd move on to another nail and I could normally get his nails trimmed pretty well.

Now, he won't let me snip off even a teeny tiny sliver. No matter what, he just pulls his paws away now and his right paw is totally off limits it seems.

He doesn't get snarky or moody about it, but he just won't let me get any good clips in.
Anything else I can do to possibly get back to him allowing me to clip his nails?

I'm thinking of taking him to my vets to get his nails done.
I used to take Mikey there every 6 weeks and he was a good boy with it.

I'm thinking it'll take at least two people to hold him down, feed him treats and one to do the clipping. Moose isn't well trained to be still.

For those who do grooming/nail clippings on large dogs, how do you go about dealing with a dog that's not comfortable with their nails being clipped?
I'm afraid if they get hold of a quick he'll be a nightmare to deal with. I don't mean aggressive, I mean just a huge 150+ lbs of wiggle worm who won't allow the clipping to continue and any future nail clippings will be a nightmare.
[notify]
Lucas

Did I hear- cellophane- crinkle?

Barked: Fri Jun 21, '13 9:19pm PST 
I used to have alot of troubles with Lucas....

I had never had a dog in my life I couldnt clip their nails........ till............. Lucas.

Yep... I did and tried everything (and years of experience!!) I knew.. and no way. The stress it caused was ridiculous.. so.. we used to go to my vet(who is an earth angel). As long as someone held him THERE.. he could be done.

After 4 years of this.. one day out of the blue (whilst clipping Flicka's outside on the deck(never a problem with Flicka)... I turned,,and started on Lucas ! Yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few squirms.. but no real problems.. and we havent looked back. Sometimes we have to just ground a bit if he gets squirmy.. but its done in 5 mins.

The point is.. dont give up.... it may come !!!

Also.. I have to do it outside with him standing up.. NO WAY will he let me do it inside.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Jun 22, '13 5:53am PST 
Try a local grooming salon. Most do nails on a walk in basis and it is MUCH cheaper than having the vet do it. And, somehow, most dogs react better at a grooming salon than at the vets... different smells and a whole different place!
Dogs are funny creatures... those who give their owners the most grief usually will stand calmly while we trim away... without Momma there to watch they are a different beastie!!!
We have never had a single dog who refused to let us trim their nails, better yet, who even gave us any grief about it.
[notify]

Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Sat Jun 22, '13 2:08pm PST 
Totally agree with Toto, that is exactly what I do with Princessesmile She does give the groomer a bit of a hard time but the groomer had her own Chi for a long time and is excellent with Princessebig grin
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Jun 22, '13 8:32pm PST 
I'll probably stick with going to my vet. Plus, it only costs $20 at my vet, so I think I'll just go that route.

I hope Moose is cool with it.
[notify]
Lucas

Did I hear- cellophane- crinkle?

Barked: Sat Jun 22, '13 9:30pm PST 
$20 !!

Used to cost me originally $8 then $10 and if they held and I clipped it often wasnt billed.

I love my vet.

However.. if you are happy at the vets I would go there. If Moose is used to the place and the people that will ,at least to my mind, be easier for him than a strange place with strange people and strange smells.

Would like to hear how you get on.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 9:41am PST 
Ha Ha. laugh out loud I thought $20 was a bargain.

The big dope looooves going to the vet. I like that I can get in and get out and they always did a great job at getting Mikey's nails short.

I'm going to make an appointment for this week.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 4:26pm PST 
Wow Toto! I want to work at your salon!! laugh out loud Most dogs that come in to our salon act the same as they would going in to a vet's office, and we're not even attached to a vet! The nearest one is 2 miles away! Those that fight it and those that don't are probably about 40/60 (the larger number being those that make a big stink about it) and there are cases where dogs are so bad for it that we just plain can't get it done and have to tell them to get it done at a vet, because either they're being too wiggly/stressing out too badly, or they're really aggressive!

As for Moose's question? I'd say since you're already aware that he's a super wiggler for his paws, a vet visit sounds like the better option, but there's no harm in trying a grooming salon first. smile
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 5:26pm PST 
Ava, two questions... One, do you allow the owner in with the dog??? Two, do you put them on the table??? Those two things make all the difference in the world, IMO. I will not even attempt to clip nails if the owner is in the room!!!
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 10:24pm PST 
Some dogs are done on tables, others are done on the floor. Some owners stay in the lobby, others watch from the window, others leave all together. There's no "one way" that anyone who works there goes about things, that goes for me too. smile Some dogs do better if their owners are in sight, others do better if they can't see them, some dogs do better on the floor, others do better on the table, and then there are some that are gonna be bad no matter what. I will also say though that our salon is the busiest one in the district and it's a really high-stress environment as it is... Nothing we can do about that, unfortunately. We're not a private salon, so it's a bit different. :/
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2