GO!

Shedding

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Buddy

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 10:13am PST 
Buddy seems to be shedding more than usual and i know summer is coming and that is probably why but i dont remember him sheding like this last year and he seems to have dry skin pretty bad so i am wondering if that might have something to do with the excessive shedding...any suggestions as to what might help? Im gonna start giving him an egg every day i know that can help.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 1:49pm PST 
That might help. Kibble is usually very low in fat and fresh food is good. Try 1/2 an egg for a few days, egg is rich stuff.

Does he get fish oil? Kibbles add it but it is very fragile stuff and might not make it into the dog after the bag has been open for a while.

I would run a hose from the kitchen faucet outside so I could wash the dogs in warm water when it was nice outside. No mess, no towels! Make sure to thoroughly rinse the shampoo out as that will dry and make the skin itchy big time. Then I walked the dogs dry taking a brush or comb to brush them out every few minutes. I did that to dry them but noticed as they were nearly dry gobs of hair would come out on the brush. Try it, it reduced Sassy's shedding for a good week after. I still wash Max outside and walk him dry but his coat doesn't blow like Sassy's did and he will still shed all over no matter what I do.
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Wed May 22, '13 11:31am PST 
Try feeding a diet that is high in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids in combination with zinc. Zinc helps with absorption of the fatty acids, without it, they are much less effective. The fatty acids help create a kind of moisture barrier for the skin to keep the skin moisturized and supple and the coat healthy smile
[notify]