GO!

Let's Talk: Do You Tip Your Groomer, Dog Walker, or Pet Sitter?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 12:01pm PST 
Tipping in the pet-services industry is not a settled thing, Dogster asked around and got some pointers.

What do you do?
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 8:38pm PST 
Always tip your groomer. It's like getting your own hair done.

As a petsitter, it was totally all over the board. Some people would tip an extra day every time, many would just round up to the nearest $20 and say "keep the change," many tip during the holidays. Usually if I went out of my way for a client they would tip - like taking a dog on 8 hour's notice.

With petsitting I think tipping is more situational... A lot of my clients went away every other weekend all winter, or one week every month - which ends up being a large bill to be adding tips to all the time.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 8:14am PST 
I agree. I always tip the groomer. That would be like getting your own hair done and not tipping the stylist.

I always give a bit more if it's right before the holidays, too. ANY one who handles my dog when I'm not around gets tipped well. Right now that's just for the occasional groom.

I handle for some breeders and hand off dogs to groomers and other professionals. They always give me an envelope to give to any trainer, groomer, etc. who provides a service to their dogs.
[notify]

Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 8:17am PST 
I always tip the groomer. If I was to use a pet-sitter, I would tip that person as well. I would consider it a personal service, which in my book, is a tip-able situation.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 12:20pm PST 
I tip the groomer. And would tip the dog walker or sitter if I used one. Now I am wondering if I should tip the boarding facility? Home business for a very nice lady who treats the dogs like her own pets. But I do take her a gift whenever I pick them up. Like cookies or a box of candy for her staff.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 2:18pm PST 
Savannah, we do get gifts but almost NEVER get tips in our boarding kennel. Grooming does include tips, however, and most of our clients are very good tippers.
[notify]
Keeva

My name is- Gaelic for- "Gentle"

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 8:54pm PST 
I always tip our groomer because in my book she is a saintcheer
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 5:59am PST 
Thanks, Toto! I think I will pick her up a box of candy today. She has a really sweet and knowledgeable staff and I appreciate them so I will let them know.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 8:22am PST 
Monetary tips are great for obvious reasons, but my other favorite thing was holiday cards of the dogs. I have a box of photos of my clients wearing wreaths and Santa hats and other goofy nonsense - many of whom have since passed away - going back at least 8 years.

Food is awesome too, but a consideration: We are absolutely inundated with junk food over the two weeks before Christmas. There is no physical way we can eat all of it before it goes bad, no matter how delicious it is. The thought behind it all is wonderful, but I always feel so guilty because inevitably something will have to be thrown out.

With this in mind, bringing candy/brownies/cookies/etc totally off-season is an awesome surprise. If you want to physically give something during the season, look for a healthier alternative (Edible Arrangements are very popular, for example) or go with the previous suggestion of ordering lunch. A few clients would contact the business owner and set a date (so there was no overlap and everyone would know) to bring in a deli or pizza dinner for the staff.

And then there's always gift certificates to local cafes or bakeries, which seriously are awesome. We can use them on our own time, when we need them, and nothing will spoil.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 8:38am PST 
good thought. I know when we get an edible arrangement at my work place the staff acts like they have never had fruit before. I'll get one of those.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2