GO!

How to Brush a Sheltie?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 9:27am PST 
Furminators are extremely hard on a Sheltie coat and no Sheltie breeder OR professional groomer would use one when grooming this breed. In addition to removing the undercoat (which is required per the breed standard), they also will break off the top coat leaving it brittle and short, not terribly attractive, to say the least. An undercoat rake will correctly remove any loose undercoat, which is the basic idea when grooming a double coated breed.
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 3:05am PST 
I agree that Furminators are not a good idea for their long coat. I have used it before on my dog on the shorter hair on his legs, but that's about it, and it's not really needed there. It does break off the top coat, which isn't good at all, and leaves the coat looking really bad with continuous use. The undercoat rake works perfectly well on a Sheltie, and should be all you need to get rid of it. Slicker, undercoat rake, comb, that's all you need for regular maintenance!

Also, if you do take your Sheltie to a groomer be VERY specific about how you want the dog trimmed. Many groomer around here will take the hock hair right down (sometimes shave it off even), take too much feathering off, and cut the pants way down. On top of that some don't even tidy up the really long ear hair to make it look nice. I'm picky about my Sheltie, I don't take him to a groomer obviously because I am a groomer, but what I've found is most people don't like how a lot of groomers groom their Sheltie. I for instance like the long featherings on my dog, and don't want the pants touched other than to tidy, and I like to have the hocks about an inch long. So remember this if you go to a groomer!

OH, and some groomers take down their chest hair A LOT, and make it look ridiculous! My Sheltie is a male and they are meant to have a great big fluffy collar. I would die if someone cut most of it off so it "blended in."
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 4:35am PST 
However, Turner, you must remember that the owner dictates HOW they want their dog groomed!!! Almost all our sheltie owners WANT the pantaloons and hocks taken down, the belly hair and chest shortened and the front legs trimmed short. While they want their dog to look like a sheltie, they do not want all that coat becoming a magnet for everything, nor will they brush all that hair.
The client is always right, and they will certainly NOT be happy if you do not do as they want. The client has MORE power in a community than any advertising you can buy and can make or break your business so you better keep them happy!
The trick is to shorten these parts yet make it still look like a sheltie. Blending is the key here.
[notify]

Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 6:56pm PST 
I totally agree Toto, that you have to do exactly what the client wants. I just wanted to say what I said because most groomers will take that down if you don't say anything, so had to make that clear. smile I, for example, like all the long hair on my Sheltie because I have an easy time keeping him brushed out daily. Not every owner wants that though. Most the owners of Shelties I've groomed don't want that overly scissored, shortened up look though. The point I wanted to make was make sure your groomer knows exactly what you want - everyone has a different idea of how the dog should be groomed.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2