GO!

Breed specific observations

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 8:05am PST 
"Noah...please do not compare a doodle to a REAL poodle. There is nothing similar at all in their temperaments!!! "

I have to take exception to this because it is the opposite of what I see in front of me every day. I have a Dale Std. poodle mix, not intentionally bred. I can say with about as much cetainty as I can have with any dog that she gets several of her traits from her Std. poodle dam. One of them is her incredibly soft mouth, important for a poodles ability to retrieve. She is the most precise dog with her mouth that I have ever handled, and I've handled many. I know Dales much better than I know Spoos, and that trait she most definitely does not get from the terrier sire, a dog I was fortunate enough to handle more than once.

I know Lucille's dam and her temperament during handling is much closer to her, thankfully. I just happened to get lucky. Mixes don't always get the best traits of both dogs, but they don't always get the worst of both either. There are some fantastic temperaments on mutts and mixes, and some not so great ones on some ill-bred purebred dogs and vice versa ofcourse. After almost 40 years in dogs I've seen all of that. What is fascinating to me with Lucille is getting to know which traits possibly came from which dog...or not.

Vetting? No way does she handle like the pure Dales I hustle back and forth. big grin And the vet agrees. I get that not everybody likes mutts or mixes, especially purebred show breeders, and that's fine; but in purebred dogs the resulting litter often has traits of both sire and dam and varying degrees of that, and the same can be true of mutts and mixes.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 12:16pm PST 
BUT... Lucille, there is a HUGE difference between Lucille based on her history and the millions of golden/lab doodles we are dealing with every single day! Lucille is from above average parents, and is spoo/dale mix, from an opps breeding, NOT a golden/lab/spoo created from subpar parents to make a quick buck.
The difference is night and day!!!
When you have hyper, off the wall parents (yes, BOTH the spoo and the lab or golden), you WILL get a hyper off the wall dog. Training, etc., will help but with poor genetics, you are going to get what that dog comes from. Sure, it may be the best of each parent, but have you met some of these parents?????
I am not necessarly against all doodles, I am just against those bred for money with no thought to what they are created from!!! NO responsible lab or golden or spoo breeder would ever consider breeding the dogs that create most of these doodles, they just are not breeding quality!
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 11:19am PST 
That is true, Toto. I don't think that there are many purposefully bred poodle mixes that have good temperaments so comparing them to a full bred poodle alone isn't accurate. The golden, lab or whatever that is also in the dog must be taken into account. The lab, golden poodle mixes I've seen have been off the wall hyper. I agree with almost all your points, it's just that I've observed that mixes do have traits from parents, typically the dam. Usually, that's the only parent that we're certain of in a mix when they come in pregnant or with their litter. I've heard and read that the dam tends to have more influence over temperament due to her prolonged contact with litter; but I'm not sure if that's true or if we generally just happen to know what type of dog she is...(?)
[notify]

Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 5:03pm PST 
Kali yodels when I take her to the self Doggie wash. Koby borderline screams like a little girl. big laughbig laugh
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 7:30pm PST 
So many of the shepherds I see are big whiny babies when they're on the table laugh out loud
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 5:28pm PST 
GSDs are very talky naturally....trust me, just in the car with them they do that laugh out loud

Both of my Giant Schnauzers have been fine with nail trims but impossible with scissoring on the feet. And both have been exceptionally concerned about having their "junk" handled laugh out loud
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 12:48pm PST 
I hate, hate, hate getting wet, I might melt and die and at the least I will lose all of the goodness I have gathered into my coat and smell like nasty flowers or something. I don't like being brushed and will sit on the body part you want to groom. I also hate having my feet touched.

I think your observations about huskies are spot on.
dog walk
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 5:13pm PST 
Sarah (beagle mix) launched herself out of the tub last night at the self-wash! It was probably close to four feet high (since she jumped out over the top of the tub).
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 7:58am PST 
I am not a professional groomer,nor do I use one,mainly because no one in my area will take an Akita for grooming. Based on my own observations in bathing my own,they love to swim but hate rain and bathing equally,feet that can be held touched or otherwise played with,cannot be approached with nail clippers or dremels otherwise they will whine like a child being denied a treat. Small scissors are eyed with suspicion,and hair dryers are the enemy,and must be avoided like the plague. Females seem fine with smelling like fruit or flowers but males resent it terribly and will roll in almost anything to remove the smell. Can anyone else tell me if this is typical for the breed?
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 8:24am PST 
Akitas are not terribly common in my area but I have a couple of clients that have them and I have no issue with taking them in for grooming. One of them is pretty bad for his nails and the other is not overly fond of the force dryer but they are by no means horrible to work on. Perhaps other groomers who have worked on them more than I have can offer different opinions but if you were to bring your dogs to me, I would take them in without issue. I don't turn dogs away without even trying to work on them, unless they try and take my hand off when I feel them over for the initial check-in.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3