GO!

Chunkers?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 4:57pm PST 
Here's a question for any other groomers out there (or anyone who just happens to know anyway!), what exactly are chunkers used for?

When I was taught to groom, these were never mentioned. I've always just groomed using thinning shears, but lately I've been hearing on a few Facebook groups people talking about chunkers. They seem pretty popular in my area at least. I know what they look like, and it seems the teeth are wider at the ends, so I'm guessing they remove more hair than thinning shears do (hence the name 'chunkers').

I basically want to know what exactly they are meant to be used for before I invest in a pair. They do look interesting and I love to try new tools if they do a good job!

If you have any experience using chunkers, let me know what you use them for and what they do to the coat.
[notify]
Skyline

Snow- Queen

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 10:10am PST 
Hello wave

I completely get your confusion, when I was taught to groom we always used 46 tooth thinning shears, never anything less. After I finished my apprenticeship, I heard about "chunkers" too. To the best of my knowledge, Chunkers are used for texturizing. The less teeth and bigger gap between, the more exaggerated the "chunk" is.
I personally have never tried them, I may one day, but for now I'm content with my thinning shears. Hope that helps a little, maybe a groomer here that uses them will come along with more information big grin
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 3:07am PST 
Thanks for the reply! I'm still trying to figure out when I would want to use them... I'm not quite sure when I'd want to add texture to the coat. So far my thinning shears have worked great, so I won't complain if that's all I have for now!
[notify]

Augustus- Gloop

Cheese, Glorious- Cheese...

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 8:58pm PST 
I use chunkers mainly when doing outline trims. Mostly on dogs like Shelties, and other double coated breeds. big grin
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 3:45am PST 
Thanks! I think I would actually need a pair and try them out to see exactly what they do. Outline trims seems to make sense to me!
[notify]