GO!

Hand held dryer suggestion?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 8:54pm PST 
I'm looking into getting a hand held blow dryer as an option to dry with some heat. I'm looking for some recommendations on what brand is good to use. So far I haven't been using one, I've just been using my high velocity dryer, but there have been a few times where it would have been nice to have a heated hand held dryer.

Any tips would be great!
[notify]
Annie

I know I'm cute- rub my belly!

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 8:49pm PST 
I too could use info on a hair dryer. Annie is terrified of the regular hair dryer that my girlfriend uses. So we can't really use a dryer on her we have to use a stack of towels and she still isn't dry.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 7:29am PST 
No idea on the hand held. Artie hated my little HV on high but on low he was fine. Maybe you could try low and just take longer to dry?

When I am lazy I give Max a bath and take him for a drying off walk. He is bathed outside with the hose attached to the kitchen sink for warm water and we go straight from the back yard. No towels, no wet dog smell in the house, no hair filled drains. I take a brush with me and every 5 minutes brush him out. He hasn't much fur so is dry in 15-20 minutes. Sassy would take 45 minutes to get bone dry. This works great if the temperature is about 70*F or so. No dryer, lots of brushing, lots of old fur on the brush that won't add to the dust puppies under the sofa!
[notify]

Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 8:47am PST 
I do that in the summer when it's really hot - give my dog a bath and just walk him out to dry him. Keeps him cool in the really bad heat.

I'm asking about a hand held dryer for my grooming shop though, I figure it couldn't hurt to have one on hand, but I'm not sure what dryer would be a good one to look for. I'm getting mixed reviews for a lot of them, but I guess that happens with almost everything.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 3:06pm PST 
How long does it take to air dry all that lovely Sheltie fur?

I would go for whatever is the quietest dryer as a hand held has the motor in your hand, close to the dog but I am not a groomer. Artie was very specific, high was completely unacceptable but low was fine by him.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 4:37pm PST 
We all just use a regular human hair dryer here, but use is only for spot drying since we use the HV ones for pretty much all our drying. I actually prefer Connair ones as they seem to last longer, either for my own use or for the grooming dogs.
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 9:33pm PST 
@Maxwell, If I take Turner for a walk on a warm, sunny day, he will shake out quite a bit and look dry, but then I go to touch him and of course all the undercoat is still soaked! It usually takes quite a while to dry him that way, but then we get to go on a nice long walk. If I high velocity dry him it might take 20 minutes to get him completely dry. Usually I can't get all the hair behind his ears completely dry because it's softer hair, but also because it drives him nuts!

@Toto, I wasn't sure if there was a huge difference between dryers that are made for the grooming industry and ones made for humans. It seems like a lot made by pet companies still get just as hot anyway.
[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 11:17pm PST 
I really love our K9 II dog dryer. Sarge has such thick fur that he would never get dry if I didn't have one of these. It cuts down on his drying time big time. Plus I love that it straightens his hair so that I can groom him easier and it also lets me see if their are any mats I may have missed that I need to comb out. Also nice because it has two speeds/ motors so that I can lower it to one so I can dry his head easier. That's the only area he doesn't like the dryer on but he sits there like a good boy for the rest. It was pricey and not a small hand held that you may be looking for but I really recommend it. We used it in the groom shop I used to work at so I had always wanted one of my own. I love my hubby for letting me get one.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 5:27am PST 
I would suggest using only hairdryers with little or no heat. Most human hairdryers are too hot and can burn the sheltie's skin. If your dog can get used to the dryers that use a lot of force, it will literally blow the water (and lots of dead undercoat) off the dog's coat, rather than dry it with heat.

The one I use is rather expensive($300) so I doubt you would would be interested in it for only one dog. However, there are lots of dog supply catalogs that would have more reasonably priced ones. Remember, little or no heat. smile

Hope this helps.

Linda
Yankee-Shelties.com
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 1:42pm PST 
Oh I thought I had mentioned that it's for my grooming shop - not just for my Sheltie. My Sheltie tolerates whatever I throw at him, so he's fine with the high velocity dryer that I have. I have a $400 Kool Dry Forced air dryer by Chris Christiansen - it's the best thing ever. It has variable speeds and is a lot quieter than other forced air dryers I've used. Plus I got it in red, which is my favourite colour!

I was looking for a hand held, heated dryer for those times that I figure I might need one, and I don't want to be sitting there wishing I had one when I don't!

I did get something though, I kind of lucked out. I was wandering around WalMart aimlessly and I spotted a ConAir dryer for $24 (someone else here said ConAir is good so I felt good about it). I figure I would buy it so I at least have something, but when I got it home I found out it was much more magical than I thought. It has 2 speed settings, 3 heat settings and a cool shot button. The heat settings are just great, because on the lowest setting the air hardly gets warm, so there's no danger to the dogs. I could probably use it on the second heat setting and turn it back down to the first once the hair is mostly dry.
[notify]