GO!

Recommendations for shears/clippers

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Sun Sep 23, '12 5:02pm PST 
I'm going to be investing in my first set of tools for grooming (I have a set of everything to use for my mentorship, but they are super crappy and need to be replaced asap) and am looking for a little guidance as to what I should be looking for. Most groomers I've worked with say Andis clippers are the way to go, but can anyone recommend a specific model? Same thing for some shears. At the moment, I can't afford to shell out for the best of the best, top of the line stuff, but I need tools that are going to last and withstand the workload of a typical groomer. Thanks!
[notify]
Ch.- Rushwind's- She Who- Speaks

Thats Ms. Bitch- to you.

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 9:48am PST 
I use Andis ultra edge, the Oster A5 turbo are too heavy for me to hold in one hand for extended hours of grooming.
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 5:41pm PST 
I use an Andis clipper and have had no problems with it at all. I can't remember the exact model of it... Something like AG+ maybe? I wish I knew where the box was so I could check! When looking for clippers look at the speed they run at. Mine runs at 3700 spm (strokes per minute). The faster the better, and you can get multiple speed clippers, but since you don't want to dish out a lot of money for it at the moment single speed clippers would work just fine.

As for shears, I have some by Geib. Geib Gators I believe they are called. I have thinners, straight scissors, curved and a small pair of scissors for working on smaller areas. That's all I've needed so far for grooming. I think each set of shears costs around $50 - $70. They are great for starting out, I've had no problem with them.

As for anything else you might want to look for, a good slicker brush that is comfortable to hold. A good comb, and I personally think using a Furminator brush on certain coats is fantastic. They can be expensive, but I think it's worth it since it makes things go by so much faster.

Oh and another thing, look for a really good grooming jacket/smock! I'm still trying to look for something that is more waterproof and doesn't allow hair to travel through it.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
[notify]

Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 7:52pm PST 
I already have a pair of Geib thinners and I really like them, good to know their other ones are just as good.

I have most of the other tools already, I just need a greyhound comb and a dematter. I think I have everything else. Found a Furminator on clearance, I was so excited.

Guess Andis clippers it is. Thanks guys!

Also, other random question: when you guys shave paw pads and remove all the hair from between the toes, what blade do you use? I've been using a #40 but apparently everyone else uses a #10. Is there any reason I shouldn't use a #40 as long as I'm careful?
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 8:44pm PST 
The only issue I see with using a 40# is they tend to dull a lot quicker than other blades and most places won't sharpen them, you have to buy a new blade. (I always used a 40# as well because that's what my mentor taught me to use). I like the ceramic blades best because they tend to have lower heat and dull slower but they do tend break a lot easier, and can't be sharpened (you have to buy a new cutter which is a hair more than sharpening costs). As for clippers you might look into a set of Laube lightnings later on down the line. They are a great deal lighter than the Andes or Osters and have a better motor IMO. They are lighter and generally have less vibration than most of the other clippers on the market. However they are pricey and it's hard to find someone to work on them.

The shear's mentioned are what I'd go with starting out, I'm also a huge fan of Kenchi's granted they're harder to come buy and can be pricier. When you can afford it arrange to go to a few grooming shows where you can feel different sheers, you often get better deals at shows than you would from a dealer as well.
[notify]
Bodha Lei- (Rainbow- Bridge)

i blame the- cat...

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 7:45pm PST 
I use andis ultra edge clippers, and for the same reason above I don't use a 40 under the comb blades. I prefer a 15 or 30. Also Kenchii's are awesome. The only shears I own.
[notify]
Turner

Canadian- Champion, CGN

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 9:02pm PST 
I use a #15 on paw pads. I've heard of people using #30 or #40, and I was taught using a #10, but If ind the #15 gets hair out easier, and I feel #30 or #40 are too close for me. I used to cut my own dog's pads with a #40, but I groom him so often that I realized I really didn't need to go that far down.

Happy, I heard you can get ceramic blades sharpened, but that they can't be sharpened as many times as other blades. I don't know for sure as I only have one ceramic blade myself and haven't used it much, but maybe whoever I heard that from is wrong. I imagine they aren't as easy to sharpen.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 5:35am PST 
I have a Wahl Moser that I use for feet (and poodle faces, etc.) It is great because it is small and quiet and will get in anywhere. I set it to be about the same as a 30. The biggest plus is that the battery stays charged forever!
I had a problem with blades for it but finally, my sharpening service started sharpening them so I am now totally happy with it!
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 11:45pm PST 
Toto you gave me a laugh because my Wahl Arco's are actually the only clippers I still use since I'm not professionally grooming anymore and don't have anything much to do with clippers other than pads. They are a great quick clipper when you're just doing feet, or if working on poodles feet face and tail without the weight or bulk of a full sized clipper. I also use it for the bridle path and ears on my horses so it serves a multi purpose around my house.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 4:28am PST 
Yup, us poodle people would be totally lost without them!!! I also have a mini moser but I am not really that fond of it... I use that one mainly on the hairless Cresteds, I groom about four of them, including my own.
I have also saved myself a ton of panic with that Moser when the power has gone off in the middle of a busy grooming day!!!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2