GO!

How Long Does It Take You To Groom Your Dog/Dogs?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
MaggieMay

Queen Of The- Universe

Barked: Wed May 30, '12 12:06pm PST 
So I know some of us groom our own dogs. I just find it much easier, cheaper, and less stressful on Maggie May if I groom her myself. It's not always the fanciest cut. And I definitely cannot do a good show cut. But for 5 years now I have been grooming/shaving Maggie May.

We recently (literally a day ago)rescued a 6 year old Pomeranian who was absolutely infested with fleas. I planned to shave her to help get rid of the fleas and leave her with a lion cut. But she was so infested the fleas migrated to her face and it was just too much. So I had to shave her completely. So she currently looks like a naked Chi lol poor girl. But she is completely flea free (thank you Dawn and Frontline).

Anyways it amazed me how easy she was to groom. Not only temperment wise. But it literally only took me about 20 minutes to shave her completely.

I am used to Maggie May who takes me 2-4 hours depending on how long her coat has grown out and how many breaks we take. Maggie has a very thick coat and it just does not cut easy at all. She is very patient though and will even lay down and sleep while I am shaving her.

How long does it typically take you to groom your dog/dogs?
[notify]
Bingley,- Emmett &- Martika

Little Ewoks

Barked: Wed May 30, '12 8:17pm PST 
I've only taken on the task of full grooming since January. Right now, all three dogs from start to finish takes me about 4 hours.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed May 30, '12 11:00pm PST 
Max isn't clipped, I pull fur all over and trim feet, ears and feathering. Pulling fur takes forever if I have to use my fingers but about an hour with a stone, Mars Coat King and a little stripper that looks a lot like the Furminator. Feet take 15 minutes weekly, ear 15-20 minutes once a month, feathers 5 minutes whenever they start getting too long.

The full treatment, hair removal, bath, blow dry and trimming takes 2 hours but usually I take it easy and pull hair and trim feet the day before a bath and save the feathers and ears which use my good blenders for after he is clean and dry.
[notify]

Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 6:06am PST 
I can have Noah finished in less than 2 hours. He gets washed and dried and then a good brush out with an undercoat rake. I'll grind his nails, clean his ears and do all the usual trimming (feet, feathers, belly). I tend to keep his feathers more tightly trimmed than many aussies I see but I will not trim his body down.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 9:09am PST 
Bingley - 4 hours?! I think that's how long it took me to do Jewel's Miami cut the first time I did it and you did 3? laugh out loud Geeze I'm slow.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 9:14am PST 
Kashmir takes me about 10 minutes to give her a good bath. I let her air dry then brush her out. Zoe can take me up to 30 mins because she hates the bath tub and i have to carry all 50lbs of her up the stairs and into the tub. big laugh

Edited by author Thu May 31, '12 9:15am PST

[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 11:26am PST 
Depending on how long it's been between groomings, it takes me 2-3 hours per dog to do a good full groom. My husband says when they are done, they look like their going to Sunday school. Lolol
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu May 31, '12 12:46pm PST 
I just groomed Ember and it took about 2 hours. She is right in the middle of a coat blow - And I think it's the worst I've ever seen from her. Her thighs were mostly clear, all her sides and shoulders were loose and I'm hoping I knocked the stripe down her back loose so I can brush it out tomorrow.

So, nail trim, intense brushing, two shampoos (because that's what it takes to get to her skin during a coat blow - plus her coat could rival a Lab for water resistance), finger massage to remove more fur, quick rinse, conditioning, third quick brush out, thorough rinse and blow dry. And on top of that I had to stop every 10 minutes to unclog the drain.

She's not really happy with me right now...

On a normal day, I can get through all 3 Huskies in about 3 hours including clean up. That's just nails, brush, shampoo, rinse, condition, quick brush, thorough rinse and towel dry or once over with the blow drier.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 1, '12 12:26pm PST 
I had a similar experience to Ember's this Monday...it was bath day and Lucille's mixed breed coat is coming out. She's poodle and Airedale, so there's curly and wiry guard hairs and a whole lotta super fine grey undercoat. Brush first, two shampoos, a conditioner rinse, brush again during drying, ears...It took us right around two hours. Not including taking all the hair outta the drain and cleaning the tub down. Everything in the room had a fine film of hair on it. Oy. And I don't even clip except with scissors around eyes/beard/pads.
[notify]
Dexter

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 7:33pm PST 
Grooming is a pretty broad term but for my guy:

rolling his coat: stripping knife, grooming stone, etc. around 20 minutes twice a week
brushing out furnishings: don't tell his handler but I am really bad about that. I probably do it once a week so it takes me 30 minutes. It would take me 5 minutes if I did it every day.
toenails: 45 second once a week
ears: I nair them once a month

Considering he is actively showing I don't think it is a lot of work.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2