GO!

papillon ear fringe short

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Gizmo

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 11:49am PST 
my Papillon's ear fringe isnt nearly as long as when i first got her. I think it might be partly my fault for not maintaining brushing it out, and every so often would get knots in it, and she'd end up yanking it out when itching. Will it grow back? if so how long does it take?
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Sat Apr 14, '12 4:59pm PST 
I trim my Papillon's fur, including his ear fringe, and it always grows back. His has a pretty good amount of growth in just a few months. I've heard it can take up to 2 years for the fringe to reach it's full length, but I don't have much experience with that since I usually keep my dog's trimmed shorter.

The fact that your dog's fur may be getting yanked out from the root may change how it grows back, I'm not really sure.

Papillon's ear fringe seems to be more prone to matting than the rest of them. Even if you don't brush the whole dog, I'd recommend brushing through the fringe at least a few times a week. It shouldn't take long at all as long as you keep up with it before it starts matting.
[notify]
Mario

Its-ah Supah- Marrrio Time!

Barked: Sat May 12, '12 10:53pm PST 
Fringes do grow back in most cases. Sables and reds are the ones you have to worry about, especially reds as sometimes their fringes will never grow back. DH thought he'd do me a favor one day and fed Mario for me (who eats raw) without his homemade snood to protect his fringes (AKA the elastic part of one of hubby's old socks :]). Woke up in the morning to a huge chunk of fringe missing on his erect ear, of course. It should grow back though I was told. I still cringe every time I notice though, and I could barely bring myself to use my thinning shears to even it up even just a teensy bit, BOL.

Make sure you never brush the coat dry, and using a good maintenance spray silicone free conditioner in between grooms helps as well. I agree with Kitsune, if you can't brush as often, just brush the ears, they mat so quickly! Mario has a lot of ear fringe, I brush at least his ears out at least every other day, and fully groom him about once a week. He is also a service dog in training, so needs to stay very clean.

If you have the money to splurge a bit, I would recommend a Chris Christensen pin brush, and I LOVE Vellus products, although at the moment I only use the conditioner as I am happy with my shampoo. They have a product I heard is really great for growing back and protecting ear fringe, I can't remember what it's called though, but it's on their website if you google them.
[notify]