GO!

Dog's fur gets dirty VERY easily, don't want to bathe him too often. Suggestions?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Phoenix

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 7:44am PST 
I take my beagle/basset hound to the dog park to run himself tired at least 1-2 times a week. I love giving him the chance to roam freely, but he ends up extremely messy every time I take him. He gets pushed into dust or ends up playing in the mud. A quick wipe down with some soap and water is usually enough to wash it off, but I think his skin is really drying out because he's itching all the time. I don't want to have to bathe him as often as I do.

I'd stop taking him to the dog park so often, but he LOVES it so much that a long walk will never amount to the exercise and playtime he gets there. My question is how can I keep his skin from drying out, or if there's another way besides bathing that anyone would recommend for a dirty dog.

Thank you!
[notify]
Bella

More Food! More,- more, more- please!

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 8:18am PST 
Its quite possible that your dog is itchy because you're not bathing ENOUGH. I'm not sure what you mean by "too often", but in general you can bathe a beagle every other week (my gf shows a beagle and she gets a bath every week). A good quality, moisturizing shampoo is important. It possible that the dust/dirt from playing is near his skin and causing the scratching. When you wipe him down, what do you use? Some of those wipes are very drying to shorter haired breeds. Generally, using a good slicker brush should remove a lot of that as well. Also - diet can play a role in how well his skin reacts to dirt. If thats not the concern then frequent brushing after play and bi-weekly baths are a good bet.
[notify]
Bella

More Food! More,- more, more- please!

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 8:23am PST 
I guess I should also say that you should only use dog shampoo. I dont know what you use, but some people think human shampoo is ok and its possible that it can irritate a dogs skin. Forgive me if you knew that. Follow up with conditioner. There are some breeds that shouldnt be bathed frequently, but I dont think a beagle is one of them.
[notify]

Phoenix

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 9:30am PST 
Thanks for the response! He usually gets one bath a week, and depending on whether or not I'm at the dog park again that week, he'll quick a quick rub down with a wet rag. I use a dog shampoo, it's Great Choice's soothing formula for dry skin. His diet should be ok, he gets 2 cups of Blue Buffalo a day along with salmon oil to help his coat.

Since you brought it up, I don't think I brush him enough, it's usually 1-2 times a week. I'll look into getting a good slicker brush.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 9:33am PST 
I agree with Bella that a good brushing would help keep him cleaner. You might also want to try adding fish oil and vitamin E to his diet to help with the dry skin,there are also several spray on conditioners you can use to freshen him up that will also help with the dry skin. My sister has a pet beagle and pet puggle(pug/beagle mix) and was told by her vet that bathing more than once a season isn't necessary or advisable. I know that the standard for show dogs are different and even Akitas which typically should not be bathed more than once or twice a year endure many more baths than that.
Rather than soap(which itself can be very drying to the skin)and water,there are several types of skin moisturizing doggie wipes as well.They are just like baby wipes but designed specifically for dogs skin. Hope at least one of these ideas helps.
[notify]
Phoenix

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 10:11am PST 
Thank you so much, I currently have him on fish oil but have yet to see any noticeable improvement. I'll definitely be trying those moisturizing wipes instead of baths every week smile
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 2:06pm PST 
ah beagle dry skin.

Mr. Beagle used to have the itchiest skin. And we go to the dog park 4-5x a week. All he wants to do is roll around in pee and dirt. shock. He doesn't usually play at all now a days. on the rare occasion he might chase someone or want to be chased by someone.

For bathing though. Do not use regular soap. beagles tend to have dry skin. I use a deordorizing shampoo and conditioner with oatmeal and baking soda. So it buffs up his white spots and makes him shine and its good for his skin. And then hit him up with a raw oatmeal formula from Top Paw. So he smells nice and his skin is extra mosturized.

I give jake raw eggs for his coat. At 30lbs jake consumes probably 4 eggs though the entire week. He loves them and people always tell me his coat is beautiful.

I give jake a bath 2x a month. Usually around pay days since he may get it from the groomer or I'll break down like i did last night and bath him myself. He accumulates a lot of dirt in about 2 weeks. but any more often than that and it gets super dry.

I had to wash him 1x a week for a while to prevent fleas and he was so itchy i felt bad. But now we're on trifexis and i don't have to worry as much.

You can also do waterless shampoos and those puppy wipes if you like. Jake gets those on his feet when it rains or he's exceptionally drool covered.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 4:37pm PST 
The shampoo you're using is particularly low quality so that would be one of the first things I look to change. Good shampoos I recommend are plush puppy Australia (US Distributor), Isle of Dog, and Chris Christenson's Systems. All of these can be used on a regular basis or in some cases even every day. Make sure when you bathe that you dry completely with a cool air dryer otherwise dirt will just stick to the damp coat. Also rather than wet towl, in between bathing you can get a soft bristled horse brush to buff his coat with and that will not only get out the dust and dirt, but also help move the oils through his coat to get a healthy shine.

Healthy coat is the best repellent for dirt however so make sure your dog actually clicks with the food you're feeding (seems like a good one but different dogs do well on different foods)

That and as a beagle/mix you really need to watch the ears for infection, it's a common problem with both beagles and bassets and can cause really bad odor.
[notify]