GO!

Can anyone recommend a good tool for keeping .....

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 6:06am PST 
Can anyone recommend a good grooming tool for keeping an Akitas undercoat from matting. Both of my dogs are blowing their coats right now. Mika is doing so normally Kai however seems to have a problem with his undercoat trying to matt rather than come out. We have been using a pin brush and brushing the fur the wrong way and then the right way but it still feels like it is tangling/matting underneath. The brushing is helping just not enough. Any ideas would be appreciated because the pin brush also seems to irritate him making him resist brushing. Thanks.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 6:24am PST 
Do you have a shedding rake? Not the blade which looks like a bent hacksaw blade, the rake which is shaped like a tiny metal garden rake with pointed tines at right angles to the handle. They are meant to be heavy enough to sink into the fur and pull out dead stuff, not ride on the surface of the fur. Sassy had a short dense double coat that responded well to it, I was sort of disappointed that the furminator kept the dead stuff cleared out so she stopped blowing dandelion tufts of fuzz.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 6:42am PST 
I don't have one now but will tonight. Thanks. Does it have coated tips or anything so it wont irritate his skin? The last thing I want to do is to have to resort to having matts shaved off of an Akita.
[notify]

Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 8:07am PST 
I use an undercoat rake on Titus... works like a charm big grin
[notify]
Wiley

Where's that- rabbit?

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 8:31am PST 
I use all three..an undercoat rake, as described by Maxwell, plus the one that looks like the hacksaw blade, plus the furminator. My prefered one is the furminator, but they all do the trick. Wiley is also blowing coat right now, but I think I've got most of it.
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 3:01pm PST 
The rake I have has sharp tips. It is meant to be stroked through very lightly and sinks in as the fur is pulled out. If it is drawn on the skin with no pressure it doesn't hurt at all, I have done so on my arm.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 3:21pm PST 
Mars coat king... Works wonders for undercoat even though it's billed for stripping. After years of grooming I don't think I'd use anything else on a coated dog. It does well for everything from huskies to rough collies as long as you aren't yanking.

Use short strokes, it doesn't have to pull the hair all the way out the first time.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jan 30, '12 11:39pm PST 
Thanks everyone for the input. Kai just dislikes being brushed to begin with and we don't understand why it's happening with him and not Mika,hers as is typical is coming out from under the top coat in clumps,his seems stuck. Will try anything so thanks again.
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 5:37am PST 
A Mars Coat King? Really? I use a 12 tooth MCK on Max because I want most of the undercoat out to make his coat flat with little undercoat [ha, the waves conquer all]. I would think way too much coat would be removed with one.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '12 6:04pm PST 
For a pet living inside, or a dog that is blowing coat it isn't an issue, as long as you aren't yanking it through the coat it only pulls the dead stuff... and yeah does an amazing job of getting out the clumpy stuff.

For a show dog .. no, because with those harsh coated northern breeds you want to keep the undercoat in as long as possible. If you can buy one used from someone (where the blades are dulled a bit) it makes for a nice smooth groom without all the pulling.

I personally dislike the shed blades that have become so popular because it's so easy to brush burn a dog with them, and used improperly they'll pull out a ton of live coat further irritating the dog. They're great in the hands of groomers but it's one of those tools I think should stay in the hands of professionals.

There are a few of the cheaper alternatives to the coat king but in my opinion they aren't worth the drop in price.

Mika and Kai the key to this is short strokes... not a full body pull.. just short even strokes pulling across and up the coat. Especially if you have clumpy coat blowing.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2