GO!

Cocker Ears

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Rusty

Champion PPH

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 6:00pm PST 
My boy, Rusty has the typical Cocker ears and has to have them cleaned daily right now due to a yeast infection in one of them. He also has to have drops put in one ear twice a day.

The cleaning I've got down, but how on earth can I keep his ears up some of the day to let them dry out??
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 7:07pm PST 
With the girls' floppy ears I use something with witch hazel or alcohol in it which dries very quickly.

Typically with ear wash, I squirt it in, rub it, let them shake their heads, then dry and rub it out with a towel. The alcohol/with hazel dries out quickly even with their ears flopping down.

Of course, this is for maintenance, not if they were to have an infection.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 9:02pm PST 
A breeder in our area recommended that her puppy owner's kept the ear hair longer, and kept the ears pulled back (hair only) in a soft hair scrunchy behind their heads. An old client of mine had done the same thing, it takes a while to get them used to the ears being pulled back but it does help with air flow, the other option (that never seemed to work as well) is to keep the inner flap of the ear shaved completely.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 9:15pm PST 
The breeder of one of my Cockers explained to me that frequent cleaning of the ears is just like when a women frequently douches in that when you irrigate too frequently, you're not only washing away the bad bacteria, but also stripping away the good ones as well, thus increasing the likelihood of yeast infections.

I never put any sort of drops in my Cockers' ears and they've never had ear infections even though they go swimming at least twice a week. After the ear infection clears up how about you try refraining from doing a daily ear cleaning and instead stick to shaving or trimming all the hair around the ear canal and simply wiping down any excess moisture after water activities? It also helps to flip open the ears to allow the canal to breathe whenever the dogs are sleeping or at rest.
[notify]
Miss Lola- Luftnagle

Solid Gold- Dancer

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '12 10:28pm PST 
to keep the ear flaps up and over the head, I would suggest using a pair of old nylon knee-hi's with the toe cut out so that it resembles a tube. Just slip it over the your puppers head for a few hours a day. It wont take long for a dog to get used to the feeling. Good luck smile
[notify]