GO!

F-U-R-I-O-U-S !! the old man took the dog out today and let him...

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 1:49pm PST 
play in the side of the driveway where the blacktop is 'disintergrating,' for lack of a better word...confused

The puppy has always been fascinated with this area and often when taking him out on potty trips, he tends to need to be steered away from that either before or after he does his business...

Today I went to visit my mom and when I got home, I noticed bits of the black top pieces on the floor...shock

I picked up the puppy, only to discover he had SEVERAL MORE bits of the black top (picture them about size of a black peppercorn or finely crushed ice...) on his front paws and around his mouth/muzzle...Yup, after asking the old man if he had the dog outside playing, he admitted it...what further angers me is he does not put the pup on a leash, he relies on the puppy to stay close to his side...naughty

I try to take the puppy with me whenever I go anywhere and the old man is home...(yes I know I've got issues with the old man themselves....)

At any rate, I did a deep-cleaning shampoo and it got most of the tar/blacktop off, but there is still some clinging for dear life..that stuff is like super glue....frown

Nice that I just had the pup groomed one week ago today and gave him a fresh bath last night...confused

My worry is I am sure the pup probably swallowed some of the tar pieces...frown

I know there is not much I can do now...frown

Also, is there any thing that will remove the remining pieces....?

The poor baby was biting at the pieces when I got home, trying to pull them off his little paws...cry

I do not blame the pup, I am sure he was having a good old time...but now momma has to deal with the aftermath.....frown thinking

Does any body know of anything that will remove this gunk SAFELY...?

I think I will call the groomer tomorrow also and ask...she is gone for the day now...

The puppy does not appear to be sick (yet...?), he is his normal playful self....

Thanks for any help/advice...smile

Edited by author Mon Nov 7, '11 1:52pm PST

[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 2:25pm PST 
peanut butter or mineral oil will dissolve the tar
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 2:43pm PST 
I don't know if it will work the same, but when we get pine sap on our paws, we get mayonnaise on them. If you have some zip lock bags you can tape on the paws, it might help keep the product on the paws longer. We kept it on for about 10 minutes.

We used human shampoo to get it off.silenced But that's all we had in the mountains. It worked great!

Take care not to let the pup eat the product, as either the peanut butter or mayo can cause a tummy upset, especially if it has tar in it.
hug

Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Nov 8, '11 2:16am PST 
Thanks!! smile
[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 8, '11 4:28am PST 
The only thing I know of that takes tar off stuff is petrol or tar remover it comes in a can and I really don't recommend using it on your pup.a lot of washing might take it off fairy liquid takes off grease not entirely sure about tar.
My best geuss is you might have to get
It cut out don't recommend you do it yourself, I think your right take her to the groomers. Just keep an eye on her/him just incase they did swallow any of the tarmacadam I think it might be the same as eating stones but just the way it's gunky, if she eating and pooping as normal I'd say all will be ok. smile good luck with the oul man but he might just not understand were your coming from, not sticking up for him or anything if it was
Me in that situation I'd probally go mental smile
[notify]
Annie

I know I'm cute- rub my belly!

Barked: Tue Nov 8, '11 4:49am PST 
I like the peanut butter idea my mom used it to get gum out of my sisters hair when we were kids.
[notify]
Augustus- Gloop

Cheese, Glorious- Cheese...

Barked: Wed Nov 9, '11 3:54pm PST 
a very fine tooth metal flea comb can remove the smallest of particles in fur.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Wed Nov 9, '11 6:26pm PST 
I *do* have a metal flea-comb...I did not even think of that! thanks!! (making mental note for future reference..! wink )
Luckily (?) we had company the same night and I guess the pup's goo/tar pieces on his paws were softened enough from the bath that as he ran around the living room carpet all excited from the company, most of the stuck-on bits that would not come off from his bath were flecked off on to the carpet, and miracle of miracles, the tar bits/blacktop bits did not stick to the carpet at all...smile

I did notice some 'staining,' for lack of a better word, on his fur, it was just some very slight spots, and they were such little spots I was able to cut them off myself (I've got those wee-little rounded scissors for dogs).

For what it's worth, when I called Petco and asked the grooming salon what could be used (thinking they would sell me some schlock from the store, but I was willing to try..), the girl who answered said to try Go-Joe (sp?), she said mechanics use it to remove tough stains on their hands...not sure how safe that would be for a pup, I def would bathe him yet again, but, as it turns out I did not need to try a goo-remover....smile

Whew!
Thanks, everyone!! smile
[notify]
Annie

I know I'm cute- rub my belly!

Barked: Wed Nov 16, '11 2:41am PST 
Just FYI it's gojo soap. And it works great the mech stuff is orange and pumice based don't know if I'd use it on my dog or how well it works on fur.
[notify]
Isaiah

Isaiac - loves to sleep- in his man's lap

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '11 6:06pm PST 
"The old man"? It's not very flattering; I guess that would make you the old woman? We dogs are a pretty healthy lot. Humans worry too much about us. But this young pup is wondering why you stay with someone if you don't care any more for him than to refer to him as "the old man" who makes you F-U-R-I-O-U-S "!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2