GO!

Groomer's nightmare...

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Sep 29, '11 3:23pm PST 
This morning we only had 6 dogs scheduled and were looking for a light day.
Well, I am typing this with one hand cuz my left arm has TWO muscle cramps from trying to hold on to these dogs AND get them groomed!
First was a spoodle, second groom, first here. She has not had ONE bit of training, not a sit, walk on a leash, NOTHING! The previous groomer only brushed over the tops of the ears and tail and legs and otherwise just semi-shaved the face because, as she complained to the owner "the dog wouldn't let me do her." She also refused to attempt the dog again. OKAY... Both ears were about two inches thick with nasty, soaked matted hair and I had to shave them with a 7F, and they both had NASTY staph infections all along the edges. They were sooo itchy that the dog had them bleeding within a matter of minutes so we had to use an e-collar on her to stop her from scratching them until they were bathed and dried.
It took FOUR of us to hold her in order to clip her anywhere, fortunately, she is a GREAT dog and chose to lick us to death instead of bite us! Did I mention the fleas???? NO EXCUSE with a white dog, IMO.
Second dog was an 8 month old cocker, first groom. She had 8 months worth of puppy fuzz completely matted because, according to the owner, "she won't let me brush her." She had been told by TWO other groomers that a cocker didn't need to be groomed until it was about a year old...HUH?? And, I have NEVER seen as many fleas on one dog in my entire grooming career... the water was blood red when she was bathed.
She was going to bite whenever I touched her back legs and/or feet but somehow I convinced her that she was going to LOVE having those nasty, urine soaked matts off her back feet and she agreed and decided I was pretty nice.
Next two dogs (cockerpoos)had been to the groomer of the first spoo... she had shaved a strip down their backs and the top of their heads but left EVERYTHING else long and completely matted up. Imagine how nasty 8 inch hair matted between the legs can become...especially after being bathed...everytime the poor dog urinates it runs down the skin UNDER the matts!
Last two were GREAT...two maltese, regular clients, regular appointment, thank goodness.
The good news, ALL these owners rebooked 6 week appointments and agreed to do some basic home brushing. They all understood about the shorter cut, especially after I showed them the actual matts that I cut off. They all had treated for fleas "earlier in the Summer", and had NO IDEA their dogs were infested, the other groomer didn't mention it at all. (I did have pictures of all the fleas floating in the tub as well as photos of the nasty, dead skin buildup under the matted ears... owners had NO IDEA, according to them, and I actually do believe them!)
My point of this long rant is to PLEASE make sure the groomer you chose is really qualified to groom. Ask to see some photos or ask for the names of some previous clients. Better yet, ask your vet for their opinion OR referral.
We do not have licensing or schooling requirements in NH, but you can still ask for some referrals. All four of these dogs have been suffering for a minimum of 8 weeks since they saw this groomer, and probably before that as well.
When you pick up your dog from a grooming appointment check the ears and check the underbelly and the tail...there should be NO matts. Anyone can make a dog smell good with some cologne, but your dog should at least be clean and flea and matt free!
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Thu Sep 29, '11 3:35pm PST 
Sorry I don't understand how a person can not know their dog is matted... Don't they touch the dog at all??
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Sep 29, '11 3:51pm PST 
eekeekeekeek

Those poor pups! At least they had you to groom them up and make them look and feel better! Plus give their owners some proper education on grooming.

I don't understand how people can't tell if their dog is matted either...or INFESTED with fleas... naughty
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Sep 29, '11 4:02pm PST 
Sorry about my rant, but some days you just have to or go insane!!!!
Beats me how you could not know!!! All you had to do was pat the cocker's head and you could feel the clumps of flea dirt and see the fleas running in there... I have NO IDEA what they thought that was!!!!
I can't imagine having the dog in your house and on your furniture with all those fleas.... YUCK!!!
I don't understand how you can pay for a grooming and STILL have your dog covered with matts and not complain or not go somewhere else immediately.
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Sep 29, '11 4:24pm PST 
Maybe they thought it was just dirt, dirt? shrug

Last year Scruffy got one or two fleas and I noticed right away, poor guy was so itchy and he had red blotchy areas on his skin. Plus the little bugger also bit me! So I don't know how anyone couldn't notice an infestation.

I would refuse to pay if I took my dog to a groomer and my dog was returned to me still matted up. If they offered to re-groom my dog I think I would just leave and find a new groomer.

If people don't want to brush their dogs they should get a breed that doesn't require a lot of grooming, or maybe, just maybe, not get a dog at all!!

meditate

Edited by author Thu Sep 29, '11 4:24pm PST

[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri Sep 30, '11 9:54am PST 
Holy crap! Groomers should have to be licensed and pass a test like human hairdressers do. Maybe then people like your other "groomer" wouldn't be able to get away with this stuff!

Toto, you're a hero for fixing these dogs up, seriously. I REALLY don't know what people are thinking when they buy these high-maintenance dogs (that surely weren't cheap either!) and don't do any routine care or training. What a shame. I don't get it either why they didn't SEE how disgusting the dog was.

I know I will probably always have double-coat breeds because they're (relatively) low maintenance, I know my limits, I wish other people did...
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Sep 30, '11 10:44am PST 
Toto my groomer/friend knows your pain!! We recently had a new "groomer" open up shop here in town and all it's done is cause more work for my friend.

This new groomer hacked chunks of fur off a golden and sent it home like that. shockshock I had helped my friend groom that golden before and it fell asleep while I was de-matting it!! There was no reason to do that to such a sweet dog, the only reason the dog's owner took her to the new groomer was because my friend is only set up for small dogs but is now that golden's regular groomer.

My friend has also had puppies come to her for their second groom after having their first done at this new groomers and they are scared out of their minds of the clippers. It's so sad. frown My friend has to spend extra time working to fix problems that if they had come to her first never would have happened.

We also found out this new groomer is selling puppies and kittens out of her home (someone brought one to be groomed to my friend). She's buying them in some big city, bringing them here and selling them, plus they have fleas!! A puppy brokering groomer, just what we need.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Fri Sep 30, '11 11:10am PST 
Jewel, Ginger's groomer told me similar stories. A lot of dogs especially would come in who had gone to a certain other groomer in the area and they would always be terrified of grooming. So sad.

I agree about the fleas, it's really hard to NOT notice that. I mean heck I noticed right away when Ginger had ONE single flea on her... Yes, she had a single flea-- I went over her from head to toe with the natural flea spray (it's a spray that disrupts the flea's coating and kills them on contact) and there was just the one (I had been helping a friend remove fleas from her rescued kittens so it had probably hitched a ride.)
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Sep 30, '11 11:23am PST 
Are the humans just plain used to being itchy themselves???? shock I can't imagine having a flea infested dog with the humans being completely spared!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Sep 30, '11 12:36pm PST 
Luckily (OR NOT), I am one of those people that fleas just do not bite. Soo, around here we have "white sock day" where all employees don white socks and walk around the building to make sure we don't have a problem in our building. Yes, it HAS happened, not surprisingly since so many grooming dogs come in with fleas, but the white socks do the trick... the fleas will jump right onto the white socks and are easily visible. We also have all our rescue cats which we check often figuring if we do have fleas come in they will hop onto the cats. So far so good this year!
Even if I don't get bitten, fleas drive me CRAZY. I swear, I felt them crawling all over me last night until I finally ended up taking a shower so I could finally relax, BOL!!
As bad as it was yesterday, today was the opposite...nine regular clients, all clean and flea and matt free, and all calm and well behaved on the table and in the tub. TGIF!!!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2