GO!

What is the best shampoo that keeps the "dog odor" away for more than 2 or 3 days?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sun Aug 28, '11 4:42pm PST 
Keep in mind that some dogs do best with very few baths, a bath seems to make them even stinkier because their body is trying to replenish the natural oils the bath stripped. I find that soap free shampoos work best, like Tropiclean and Earthbath. Our foster pittie could stink up a room regardless of baths, so I stopped giving them and would clean him up with wipes instead, it did the trick.
[notify]
Charlie Pete

G-day mate! - Wanna Play?

Barked: Sun Aug 28, '11 9:24pm PST 
What a gorgeous pup. I mostly just wanted to say that. But while I'm at it, I'll second or third teh suggestion to look carefully at her diet. I have never needed to bath my dogs since they have been on a raw food diet. Whether you go raw or not, even changing to a different prepared food with fewer fillers may cut the doggie smell down.
[notify]
Abby

Born to Love

Barked: Tue Aug 30, '11 9:27am PST 
I adopted Abby when she was about 3 months old (she's 2 now) and she had an odor that I thought was just from being at the shelter. It didn't go away! After a healthy check up, high quality food (TOTW) and tons of different shampoos my grandma suggested adding 1 cup of powdered milk to Abby's bath water. I actually usually add 2 cups. It really seems to help!
[notify]

Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Tue Aug 30, '11 1:48pm PST 
I like tropiclean spa lavish shampoos and conditioners like comfort and nourish.

Also, for my bulldog I use 1800petmeds shampoo 'be super clean'
[notify]
Maggie

Maggie aka "the- nibbler"

Barked: Wed Aug 31, '11 6:15pm PST 
When you say that the odor comes back, is this due to rolling around outside or for no apparent reason?

I ask this because when a dog has a returning odor like this - I suspect that there might be a yeast issue going on with the dog. Does your dog get alot of ear infections?
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Sep 1, '11 4:30pm PST 
Are you talking about a bad smell or just a normal dog smell? I ask because your dog should smell like a dog not a bouquet. I like the way dogs smell by the way but maybe I am just weird.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Thu Sep 29, '11 11:18am PST 
I use Dr. Bronners pepper mint soup on my dog. I rub the soup between my hands to create a nice lather. It does not take much at all if you do this. It's not ph balanced for dogs or people.

Diet plays a big part in smell.

With my dog, it's his mouth that stinks. His coat is nice.

Do you brush your dog? I brush my dog almost every day even through his coat is very short. I use a furninator like brush. It has fine teeth and removes dirt. I only wash my dog about once every 2 months.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 8:00am PST 
What kind of dog odor were you referring to? If you're talking about the odor caused by dog ear infection, you might want to take your dog to a vet immediately. Dog odor can also be caused by diet. Maybe try changing the type of food you're feeding your dog?
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 10:09am PST 
My Mom is a dog groomer and swears by Bobbi Panter's line of shampoos. They are a little on the pricier side but smell very good. If the smell is the problem I would recommend Bobbi Panter Stinky Dog Shampoo, I believe it is sold at most pet stores.
way to go
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 11:19am PST 
I have to agree with Tanuk,often in trying to get rid of an odor people make it much worse by bathing too often which can cause the skin to become too dry,break and cause a skin infection which creates a bad smell. I too would suggest a good diet and a good skin conditioning grooming spray as well as daily brushing to keep her fresh smelling. I also agree with the others who have said she is a beautiful pup. I have Akitas and it is recommended they only be bathed one or two times a year. I use a conditioning grooming spray from Tropiclean that I buy at Petco about twice a week,feed a good,grain-free food,and brush them daily and have had no problems with them having any smell except the smell of the groming spray.wishes
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3