GO!

Wheres the quick?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Madison

Don't disturb me- I'm on fly- patrol!

Barked: Sun Aug 21, '11 4:43pm PST 
I recently found out we had a dremel and in light of our vet starting to charge for nail trims starting in September I decided grinding would be an alternate solution. So i've been slowly getting used to the dremel but the problem i'm having is finding the quick in a black nailed dog. Madisons is pretty easy she has clear nails so it's the pink among the white. Ginger has black nails and last nail trim the tech told us that her quicks are really long. I haven't grinder much off because I don't want to do too much too soon I want them to get used to having it done. I saw dober dawns website but when I was grinding Gingers nails I didn't see any white thing. Now granted I haven't grinded much off but since we've been told multiple times Ginger has long quicks I expected to see them. I'm afraid to nick it and her hurt because they cut it accidenlty at the vet too frequently and I know it hurts her. So if somebody could post a picture or something of what the quick exactly looks like. Is it just a white mark? I'm just afraid i'll miss it if I see it. Thanks!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Aug 21, '11 9:05pm PST 
Yup, a white dot and it is closer to the inside curve of the nail so you can do the sides and top short and let the soft bottom part wear down on its own. Last time I did Max's nails he flinched and when I looked there was that dot!
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Mon Aug 22, '11 3:38pm PST 
Yup what Maxwell said.

I just wanted to add that if I don't go too fast when I'm grinding Kitsune's nails, he usually let's me know when I'm getting down next to the quick. It doesn't seem to hurt him, but he seems to feel the grinder more at that point. When/if he flinches or pulls his paw away I'll stop grinding on that nail, most of the time at that point if I look at the tip of the nail I can also start to see the very top of the quick.

Don't know if it's the same for every dog but listen to your dog. If he seems like he's getting a bit uncomfortable then it's probably time to move on to the next nail.
[notify]

S'N'S- Geronimo's- Revenge

Saving mommy, on- a daily basis!

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 3:14pm PST 
White dot is an indicator.
Also, because you are grinding, may I suggest doing a little every day?
That way you can bring their nails down slowly to a good length. And you'd be surprised how short that is.
Both my dog's nails don't touch the ground, at all.
You can literally keep getting the quick back until they have less than an inch of nail. Doing a little each day will help the quick recede back.
Hope that helps.
[notify]
Miss Lola- Luftnagle

Solid Gold- Dancer

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 6:23pm PST 
you can feel the difference, it has a more meatier feel. To make the quickes recede faster, I dremel the sides up a bit higher, than the center. Don't worry if you do hit the quick. It will just be a tiny pinprick amount of blood. Just dab some cornstarch on the tip.
[notify]
Dakota

Principles ...- Values ...- Common Sense

Barked: Sat Sep 3, '11 10:39am PST 
A bright stand on it own flashlight. I don't have the patience to grind down nails, so I use a heavy duty clipper (not the guillotine type) and a flashlight. The flashlight shines right through the black nail and you can see the quick very easy.
[notify]