GO!

Petsmart "Guarentee"?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 4:12pm PST 
Has anyone had any trouble with Petsmart's "If-You-Don't-Like-It-You-Don't-Pay" guarantee? I had Daegan's hair cut a couple of weeks ago at Petsmart, and I specifically brought him there because of that guarantee. It was the first time for both of us at a groomer's and I didn't want to take a chance paying $70 if I didn't like it.

Anyway, when they called me and told me he was ready for pickup, I arrived there expecting to see him somewhere in the grooming salon. Instead, Daegan was nowhere to be seen, and the girl at the front handed me a receipt for the Petsmart cashier to scan and told me she would bring him out AFTER I had paid. I was a little upset because I thought I would get to see him first. I did not have $78 to pay for a cut that wasn't any good.

Well, it turns out that they did a really good job on him, and it was well worth it. But the fact that they advertised (even with a sign on the window at this particular Petsmart) that if I didn't like it, I wouldn't have to pay, and they didn't even let me see him unless I paid had me a little irked.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Why would they advertise something like that if they weren't going to abide by it? confused I understand the issue of people saying they don't like the cut just so they don't have to pay even though they really love it, but if that's the problem, why advertise the guarantee? I don't get it. thinking

Editted to fix the mispelling of "guarantee". My head isn't working today. naughty

Edited by author Fri Jun 24, '11 4:14pm PST

[notify]
Madison

Don't disturb me- I'm on fly- patrol!

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 6:01pm PST 
Hey Daegan wave I worked 2 summers at petsmart for a summer job. So maybe I can answer your question. Its store policy that you pay first and get your dog second. They always print invoices and then the customer goes to the cashier to pay and while you are paying the groomer goes and gets your dog. So technically there is a guarantee but not exactly in the way you imagined it. They do it this way more than likely to get the invoice in the system because they keep track of numbers. Also I bet once you have payed they already have your money so it might be easier to talk you down from wanting a refund. It could be something that they can fix really quick to appease you versus if you hadn't payed you could just be like I don't like and just walk out without really giving a reason why. If you didn't like it at all they would send you back to the cashier and they would do it like a regular return. We did groomer returns every once in a while if a person accidentally got charged for something they weren't supposed to or if a person was really upset about the cut the groomer did and a manager approved the return. What happened was pretty normal for petsmart. I saw the pics you posted of his new hair cut I think he looks nice way to go
[notify]
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Sat Jun 25, '11 10:17am PST 
Thank you Madison. It's good to know that they will honor their promise if the customer genuinely didn't like the cut.
[notify]

Henry

Barked: Sun Jun 26, '11 9:36am PST 
I was out of town staying with friend's and my dog rolled in a muddy, gross smelling pond so I threw him in the car and ran him to a local Petsmart hoping he could get a quick bath so he could come back in the house that night smile When I dropped him off I told the groomer I only wanted him bathed - no trim at all. I wrote the same on the grooming sheet I signed. When I picked him up I paid same as you and they brought him out and I was completely appalled. They had given my gorgeous Clumber spaniel a horrible cocker cut. He looked terrible! I couldn't believe it. This was my show dog, and now he had all his gorgeous coat cut off, his beard was shaved, and they shaved all his feathers. I was so mad! I threw a fit and the grooming manager admitted they had made a mistake, pulled out my form which said no clipping or trimming, only bathing. But they would not give me a refund, only credit in the grooming department in that particular store (which I would never use - out of town and I would never have gone back there anyway). So don't bet that they will ever honor the so called Petsmart guarantee.
[notify]
Zeus

\

Barked: Fri Jul 22, '11 10:29pm PST 
Just as one bad apple spoils the bunch, it is unfair to say that all Petsmarts are going to give you a bad product or a bad experience. Unfortunately, mistakes do happen. It is never pleasant when one does happen, and more so less pleasant when they wont give you a complete refund. I am not aware Grooming at Petsmart not giving a cash refund, but it could very well be that the person you dealt with had a personal stake to lose by giving you cash back. I agree, it is poor customer service. However, in all fairness, Petsmart has one of the best return policies out of any major retailer in the US. Feel free to "bark" up the chain of command if something like that happens again, because if the buck stops at the groomer...well, obviously that's where it stops.
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Sat Jul 23, '11 8:08am PST 
I've never used Petsmart, but all the groomers I've used have you post bail before you pick up your dog. You have to pay for services rendered. If you don't like the cut, then talking to the groomer helps. They could clean up the cut, but they aren't mind-readers on what the customer wants.
[notify]
Pasha

Pasha - let\'s PLAY

Barked: Sat Jul 23, '11 11:04am PST 
I tried to go to Petco to help out my friend with her dog and they told me I had to get a rabies vaccine for her adopted dog that had cancer. I explained that she has cancer and my friend was told she would die as a rabies vaccine will cause the cancer to grow very fast, and the dog had received the rabies vaccine when he was first adopted, so he already had life time protection so no need for it. I was amazed how rude PetCo was. And PetCo was very unprofessional to give medical advise when they don't know anything about dogs health especially advice that would kill a dog. Petco hates dogs.

But I am happy they did that. Because I called a very nice groomer down the street, and they did an excellent job, and were so nice, and didn't play games or offer fatal advice like Petco.

Now I recommend this really nice groomer and by helping a small business that way one is helping America. Buy Local to help your local businesses to survive. Small businesses provide better service then any corporation can provide.

Remember the small business person wants to please their customers.

But a big faceless corporation, it is all about making the most money with the cheapest worthless product or service then can provide.

I have learned this on many products and services, most small businesses provide much better then any corporation.

After the problem with PetCo several years ago, I returned all the used Pet Co products and left over dog food, etc for a refund. I also returned all the Petco stuff for my friend. We have been shopping at small businesses and grooming at the local groomer for the last few years.

Petco cost themselves two customers, plus we always tell everyone what happened so they don't waste their money at Petco either. Like the say, even bad advertising is helpful.

Hope this helps.

Visit your local groomers and when you find a person you like, have them do the grooming for you if you are comfortable they can do a good job. And explain what you want done and they will do the best they can because they get pleasure from pleasing the customers and they want you to love it so you will come back. You will probably becomes friends with your groomer and any local business people you do business with.

But the big corporation doesn't want to be your friend, they just want your pocketbook.

A corporation like petsmart or petco just doesn't care. it is all about making money, creating dividends for the shareholders and screwing the customer.

We are so happy we found a wonderful local groomer that we have used for several years now.

Help your local community, buy local.
[notify]
Twister

wouldn't harm a- fly...XD

Barked: Sat Jul 23, '11 11:29am PST 
I worked at two different Petsmarts (and uh, Petsmart is much different than Petco!). You have to pay first because of the guarantee. Trust me, they get many people bringing their dogs in for grooming and then simply claiming they don't like it so they don't have to pay. That's not just with grooming either, people do it with merchandise too. I had an elderly man come in wanting arthritis medicine for his dog, and so I showed him some. He claimed he only wanted half of what our smallest bottle held, but went ahead and bought it. Later that same day he came back and returned the bottle (made sure to talk to someone besides me and avoided all eye contact with me) because it had 'already' been opened and half of the contents were gone. He got his refund, there wasn't anything I could do short of calling him a liar. I've also had a person buy a few crickets and then grab a handful when they thought I wasn't looking. All that simply to say Petsmart has policies in place (such as paying first; they also keep any small animals you buy at the counter until you're ready to leave) to try to keep people from scamming them. It can be frustrating for honest people (who the guarantees were made for) who just want to make sure things were done properly. If you have problems with an employee (especially if they make a big mistake like cutting their hair when they're not supposed to!!), talk with the store manager (not just the manager of that section); if that doesn't work, than go online and leave a message for the higher-ups. They will more than likely inspect the store to make sure they are following procedures and practicing great customer service! I'm glad the cut turned out good though.blue dog
Oh, again, Petsmart & Petco are completely different stores. Wanted to add, at Petsmart, they are never allowed to give medical advice (except to say maybe you should talk to your vet). About all they can do with health advice revolves around fish. flowers Petsmart employees are supposed to help customers to the best of their ability. There are always going to be individual people (and even stores) that do not live up to the standard. When that happens, as another said, use the chain of command and you could see some things happen.way to go

Edited by author Sat Jul 23, '11 11:39am PST

[notify]
Wicket

Mom's little- Fluffer Muffin

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 8:08pm PST 
I don't know about PetSmart (I won't go there for anything), but my groomer brings Wicket out as soon as I arrive and I pay after that. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable paying without seeing him first.
[notify]
Jenna

We Are The- Champions!

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '11 11:37am PST 
I've worked at both PetsMart and PetCo. The salons differ store to store and chain to chain. If you are not happy with something, never settle with just the section manager (unless you're happy with their solution). Generally speaking, everyone in the grooming section is worried about losing their commission (their only pay outside of a tip or base hourly salary that would make you cry) for the job. Generally speaking, they will try to do anything to keep from losing a customer and making an arrangement that they will fix or regroom the dog for free can help keep from losing the customer.

At the stores I worked at, the reason to pay first then get the dog, was to prevent people from leaving with the dog and not paying (believe me, it happens more often than anyone would like). Both stores will honor their satisfaction gaurantees, but getting the refund may require you agreeing to allow them to try to fix the problem first.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4