GO!

cody is acting really weird after grooming

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
CODY

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 1:37am PST 
one day after the grooming he start acting weird dont want to eat,play,go outside, or even walk around the house all he does is wat to sleep or just seat on his bed and if he does walks he runs back like something is hurting him what can be wrong its been one week alreay im worried..
[notify]
Fenrir

Veni Vidi Nom

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 8:46am PST 
Have you been to the vet? It may not be related to the grooming and just happened to show up afterwards. Either way, if it's been a week and he still seems off I'd definitely get him into the vet.
[notify]
Demi Joy

mamma's angel

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 9:42am PST 
Yes I'd get him to the vet also! Keep us posted. I am sorry for you and Cody!frown
[notify]

Demi Joy

mamma's angel

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 9:43am PST 
Yes I'd get him to the vet also! Keep us posted. I am sorry for you and Cody!frown
[notify]
Abby

Abby -

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 11:03am PST 
Abby had the same problem after grooming. She has always loved our grooming sessions at home, but after a professional grooming in which a "furminator" was used (without my knowledge), she is very wary of being brushed now. She acted pretty weird for several weeks after the grooming. She also looked really ratty because the furminator removed all of her undercoat (she's an Aussie mix). I would check with the groomer to see if anything unusual happened during the grooming session that might have caused the reaction.
[notify]
Fenrir

Veni Vidi Nom

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 11:27am PST 
The lack of energy and interest in food makes me think it's likely an illness rather than something caused by the groomer. It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask the groomer more about their methods but unless you had a really sensitive dog, I don't see an unpleasant grooming causing a lack of energy for days on end. Plus didn't you say the behavior started a day after the grooming not right after?

Was that the first time you went to that groomer? First time your dog was groomed by someone other than you? My guess is that the symptoms and the grooming coinciding is coincidence but only the vet can really know. Lack of energy and interest in food could be a million things.

Edited by author Wed Mar 2, '11 11:29am PST

[notify]
Haunter

Ch. BIS- Wandering Spirit- Vom Wildweg CGC

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 5:58pm PST 
Is your dog young? Sometimes young puppies can be overwhelmed by a first grooming and they are simply exhausted. I'm a groomer and I will tell you it's a 50/50 shot, some pups sleep in the crates, the rest want to see everything going on and even when grooming is finished will pace in the crate until they are weaving on their feet,
[notify]
CODY

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 6:36pm PST 
thanks im going to make the appointment to see a vet.. but this time was the first time he got groom i always used to do it myself his one year old so i though i should start taking him...i dont know if its because its cold but i notice when his in the carpet he stays longer standing but if his on the floor as soon as he puts his feet on the floor he runs back to his bed crying like something is really hurting him..
[notify]
Lulu

I might be small- but i have big- idea's

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 4:40am PST 
Look at his pads and between his toe areas in case she accidently cut into the pads .
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Thu Mar 3, '11 5:34am PST 
If its only a day like this I wouldnt be worried especially if you are young. Grooming can be stressful. Other dogs around barking, the whole process. Some dogs are awesome to groom but while grooming are screamers or might have a temper tantrum that lasts a few seconds before behaving that takes alot out of a little doggie. Usually the more they get groomed with the same groomer the easier it gets.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2