GO!

Standard poodle grooming - Clippers and blades

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Raven

Raven the couch- chewing nest- making dog!

Barked: Thu Dec 2, '10 9:13am PST 
Ok, so i'm getting my standard poodle pup soon and I need to know what the best possible clippers are I can get at petsmart for under $300 (going to be doing the grooming myself) , that's my budget for clippers. I want them to last a LONG time hopefully. Anyways, I don't want to order them online if at all possible. I was thinking maybe getting these clippers: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4273101

Are those any good for a standard poodle?

and what # blades do I need to keep it in the summer clip?

I'm going to buy a grooming book by Shirlee Kalstone to get me started.

Please let me know what you guys think!
[notify]
Jasmine Lula

Sweet Girl

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 4:39pm PST 
I prefer Andis clippers & blades over Oster.. Andis AGC or Ultraedge is a good clipper.

You will need a #10 blade (do not buy ceramic edge blades).. for clean face, clean feet, sanitary area.

A #40 blade for the pads.

In the summer time I do most poodles in a #7 or #5. (7 being shortest 1/8 inch)
In the winter most get a #4 or a comb clip. (attach comb to a #30 blade, they go as long as 1 inch)

If you are planning to do a topknot you should get a pair of 8 inch curved shears. You will probably need a straight edge if you keep her longer than a #7 to get anything you missed and to trim ears and such.

Get a good slicker brush and greyhound comb for brushing and dematting.

Grooming a poodle is by far the hardest groom. I've been grooming a while and standard poodles always take me FOREVER because they are a difficult haircut, even if its just a standard kennel clip.

Edited by author Fri Dec 3, '10 4:40pm PST

[notify]
Desmond CGC

Poodle Swag

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 8:04am PST 
I have some very standard Andis clippers that I got online. I would recommend going online to a site like Petedge for clippers. The pet stores don't generally have the nicest clippers.

If you're getting a Standard, you really only need a few blades to start out with. I do NOT reccomend getting anything shorter than a 15 for a beginner. Trust me, it is a bad idea. Until you are really confident in handling the blades and your poodle is very trustworty on the table, do not go shorter than a 15, there is a very high chance he will get pretty bad razor burn and cuts. I've been grooming my standard for over a year and I still only do his face and feet with a 10. It's all you need; you certainly do NOT need a 30 or 40 for a pet poodle.
I have gotten by the last year with just a 10 blade and a 4, though I would like a #30 so I can use combs to set lengths and a 15 to get his face a tad shorter. A 4 gives a pretty good short trim on the body and you can shape the rest with scissors. It's a clean looking trim and it grows out nicely.
[notify]

Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 1:47pm PST 
I use Wahl for Allee from Wmart. I spend around 40 bucks and I get about 10-12 haircuts out of them!
We have owned 4 pair in over 4 yrs.
[notify]
Ch. Ali, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Mon Dec 6, '10 5:35pm PST 
I use a Wahl moser for poodle feet and faces since it is MUCH easier to work around their toes and nose with it. It is lighter and quieter as well. BUT... I am doing a bunch of show grooms as well and need the closest clip I can get. A moser is nice to have since you can change the blade length and only need the one blade, however, all my poodle pets get a 4F body and scissored legs.
Always remember to bath a poodle before you shave anything... it cuts way, way down on the possibility of clipper burn, especially when doing WHITE poodles!!!
[notify]
Stella

Teacup- chupacabra

Barked: Sun Dec 12, '10 7:58pm PST 
I like WAHL Arco cordless clippers for face/feet work, since the blade has 5 length settings from #9-#40 so you have some room to work. I know you don't want to go online to buy, but the clippers you will find at big-box stores are overpriced, usually by a lot.

For work I use a WAHL KM2 for my heavier stuff, and for most of our standards they get a #5 body with a 2 guide comb for their legs, clean face/feet/band tail, with topknot, ears and tail pom cut in with curved shears and stragglies cleaned up with straights. Don't scrimp on cheap clipper blades, and buy at least a pair of blades in each length so you can swap them out when they heat up.
[notify]
Ready On- Mayday Eager- Operato

Barked: Sat Dec 25, '10 9:36am PST 
Wahl AGC is the best clipper to purchase at Petsmart ... frankly it's a great clipper no matter where you purchase it, and it will be cheaper at places other than petsmart, but if that's where you want to buy it, that is the best one they carry.

You will likely not really need the 2nd speed, so you could just get the single speed Wahl AGC and save some money. Even the single speed is plenty strong enough for the poodle hair. I just let my poodle grow out for the last 6 months, and trimmed him down in a lamb cut day before yesterday with this clipper and a comb attachment (started with the cheap one included in the kit, but did purchase the stainless steel ones for next time ... the kit ones were fine, but the stainless steel ones are much better).

You "may" want to also get a smaller clipper for trimming of the feet, face, and tail, but you really don't need to.

The comb attachments that come with it work fine with the 10 blade (which I think is what it comes with). The stainless steel comb kit works better with the 30 blade. But you won't be ready for a 30 blade for awhile, the 10 will be fine for everything in a pet trim.

First mantra to keep in mind: the hair grows back! Relax, enjoy and have fun! I had a BLAST clipping down his coat the other day. I had no idea it would be so much fun and bring out the artist in me. I recommend doing that at least once (letting it grow way way way out and then putting him into a fun clip).
[notify]
Whiskey

Cute and cuddly

Barked: Tue Jan 18, '11 1:58pm PST 
Andis clippers anf blades definitely! I used to groom at petsmart so oi can tell u thet have a blue or black pair of andis clippers both are great the only doff is the blue are round and the black are square. They both come with a #rb blade which is the shortest cut. Its like 1/8 of an inch. A 7 is one step up and a 5 blade leaves the hair at a quarter inch. Its just up to u how short u want him. But ive had the same pair of andis clippers for almost 4 yrs and groom everyday and they are still great. All you'll have to worry about is finding someone to sharpen your blades prob every 3 to 4 grooms you do. If the blade stops cutting hair u just need it sharpened at most its 7 bucks to sharpen a blade instead of 30 to 40 to buy a new one each time one goes dull.
[notify]
Ch. Ali, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Tue Jan 18, '11 6:52pm PST 
Your clipper blades will last MUCH longer if you clean them regularly and just sharpen them when absolutely necessary. I would be broke if I sharpened mine after every 3 or 4 grooms...I do between 8 and 10 dogs a day. And, don't forget, every time you have those blades sharpened, they will cut almost a half blade size shorter because they are grinding metal off both the cutter and the base when they are sharpened. So, after about 3 or 4 times being sharpened, that 4F is now a 5F. It helps to mark your blades with a number and keep track of how many times each blade is sharpened so you don't end up with a much shorter clip than planned.
We clean regularly with blade wash and sharpen about every 3 or 4 months, and use lots of cool lube while clipping. And, if possible, only clip bathed dogs... dirt will dull a blade quickly. I keep a set of blades that are only used for pre-clipping when I absolutely have to pre-clip, thereby not ruining my best blades.
And, finally, the blade that comes with a new clipper is most often a 10 blade. There ARE closer cutting blades... we use a 15 on pet poodle faces, tails and feet here and a 30 or even a 40 on show grooms and things like Crested faces and ears.
Also, make sure you have some sort of cushioned flooring under your table, like those foam snap together pieces used for kids play areas... otherwise you will be breaking blades and shears when they get knocked off the table. Murphy's law says a falling shear will always land point first!!!
[notify]
Lulu

I might be small- but i have big- idea's

Barked: Tue Jan 18, '11 11:05pm PST 
Just like to add be carefull when clipping the armpits and underneath near the belly poodles have soft skin there that can easly be nipped with the blade.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2