GO!

Nail Clipper Brands

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Jin

I'm going with- you, right?

Barked: Wed Sep 8, '10 1:08pm PST 
All right, Jin needs her nails clipped pretty bad (they're beginning to scratch me) and I can't seem to find the nail clippers I know I have someplace or another, which means I need to just go ahead and buy a new pair. I am looking for plier-style clippers opposed to guillotine-style nail clippers, and I am not interested in "quick finder" clippers.

I would like to invest in a good, quality pair of nail clippers that will last a while, not dull quickly, and will not break (handles or otherwise). I'm not necessarily looking for inexpensive, I suppose, so no restrictions on price really: quality and durability are my biggest concerns.

So, any suggestions for high-quality, durable plier-style nail clippers? Any preferred brands for you more experienced groomers?

Also, because no one at work seems to know, can nail clippers be sharpened? I imagine they can, given that they are blades, so I suppose the question is more: how can one sharpen nail clippers? Could I do it myself or, because of the curve, is it recommended a more experienced hand sharpen them?
[notify]
Miss Lola- Luftnagle

Solid Gold- Dancer

Barked: Wed Sep 8, '10 7:02pm PST 
For med/lrg dog, I use the orange handles ones. I know these can be sharpened. I use the small black handled ones for small dogs and cats. I like to use the small ones to get nails that really curl down next to the pad. They can be resharpened.
[notify]
Jin

I'm going with- you, right?

Barked: Wed Sep 8, '10 9:32pm PST 
Thank you, Miss Lola. Those sound like the clippers we have at work, which I was thinking of buying and found at a locally owned pet supply store, but suppose I wanted to see how they ranked against other nail clippers out there.

Not sure the brand of the black-handled ones for small dogs, but I know the orange-handled ones for medium and large breeds are Millers Forge, which did seem as though they were of at least good-quality but, like I said, I suppose I wanted to be sure how they stacked up against others out there. A friend also recommended these, and it looks like I'll be picking up a pair tomorrow after work. smile

I was also provided a link, and it seems nail clippers can be sharpened in much the same way a knife can be: with a wet stone. Don't yet have one myself, but good to know all the same. Seems a number of clippers at work are getting dull (and are annoying when those are grabbed and not cutting the nail efficiently), but it seems a shame to me to just toss them if they can be sharpened.
[notify]

Miss Lola- Luftnagle

Solid Gold- Dancer

Barked: Thu Sep 9, '10 6:25pm PST 
Your welcome. I should proof read my answers, was a wee bit tired when I posted. LOL
I do recall trying the doggie man brand once also, the seemed very sharp, and worked like a charm. I have a bamboo also. I don't like them at all. They seem to fold the nail, if you know what I mean.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Sep 13, '10 4:48am PST 
We send our nail clippers (the millers forge orange ones) off with our blades to be sharpened. I also LOVE the smaller, red handled ones from millers forge.. they seem to keep a good edge much longer and, when sharp, work for any nail from a cat up to the biggest dog.
[notify]
Chase

wake me up when- it's spring

Barked: Tue Sep 14, '10 9:31pm PST 
Here's a pic of the orange-handled Millers Forge nail clipper -
mfnail
[notify]
Stella

Teacup- chupacabra

Barked: Sat Sep 18, '10 8:34pm PST 
My shop swears by the MF orange clippers, although we rarely use them since we all prefer grinding. They are very handy for dogs that are particularly sensitive about having their dewclaws manipulated, especially those big honkin' rear dewclaws on the Pyrs, who seem to unanimously agree that those nails should not be messed with laugh out loud

We send ours out to the same guy who does our blades, and I don't know how he sharpens them but he does do a good job.
[notify]
Belle

Will Take you- On!

Barked: Tue Sep 21, '10 8:29am PST 
Miller's Forge here too. If you're only using them on your dog, I can almost guarantee sharpening won't be an issue. I bought mine over 12 years ago for Belle and I'm still using them today on the Huskies. Granted all are active enough that they didn't/don't require too many nail trims.

We use them in daycare too, for dogs on our nail trim plan. Which means we're doing around 7 dogs a week, give or take depending on attendance. We haven't ordered new trimmers in at least 3 years, haven't had any sharpened and they're still ok. Could be sharper, but they aren't causing problems.

Edited by author Tue Sep 21, '10 8:31am PST

[notify]