GO!

Shih Tzu, Wot cut do you get?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Jade- Alexandria

Dont mess with- me, I'm- chihuahua!

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 9:26am PST 
Wahl's make a metal comb that leaves about an inch. Yes, they do make 2 inch combs, but those are plastic and dont do the job. 1 inch is more then enough. It gives a cute Teddy Bear apperance. The deffenition of a puppy cut is one lenth all over. There is no such thing as a Teddy Bear Cut only a Teddy Bear Head (ie Shih Tzu). A lot of groomers think a puppy cut is short. But it can be any length. Make sure your groomer of choice owns the Whals combs and go with the 1 inch. You wont be disapointed.
[notify]
Hai Li

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 7:36am PST 
I'd say "I want my puppy entirely hand scissored with 2 inches left & a long teddy head." This will cost you more as it takes a lot of time to hand scissor an entire dog. You should get what you want as long as your dog isn't matted. Make sure you do your homework (comb your dog, all the way down to the skin, every other day) & you should be able to have him or her groomed with a longer cut. I love the plush cut a 3/4 inch Andis A5 blade gives!
[notify]
Ch.- Rushwind's- She Who- Speaks

Thats Ms. Bitch- to you.

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 5:40pm PST 
"puppy cut" doesn't meant anything.

It has so meany different meaning from groomer to groomer, and breed to breed, it's impossible to read minds as to what a customer REALLY wants when they say those two words.

I'd imagine your dog was matted on at least one of those close shave situations.

First establish that you do not under any circumstances want the dog shaved down. If an owner doesn't want their dog shaved, and I have to shave it anyway, I always call them and tell them before I do it. No surprises when you come to pick the dog up.

Then go with what another poster said and say you want the dog hand scissored and left long, you MAY go out on a limb and say teddy bear clip, but like with "puppy cut" that has many meanings and there is no guarantee you two mean the same thing.

the BEST thing to do is take a photo of the cut you want.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 5:48pm PST 
This post is three years old, don't think they are even still around.

Edited by author Tue Jan 8, '13 5:49pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Fri Apr 25, '14 1:52pm PST 
Hi all,
I am new to this website and after some help from a professional groomer, I am currently learning how to groom dogs and can do all the basics (eg. Shave all over etc) but I would like to learn how to do a teddy bear cut (I don't charge I just practise on customer's dogs and they pay me what they think it's worth) the lady has said she wants a teddy bear cut with 'no lines' if someone could give me a clue with guard comb colour or length and technique it would be greatly appreciated! I can already feel the butterflies in my tummy... Haha!

Thanks in advance x
[notify]
Toto, CD,- RN, CGC

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '14 3:50pm PST 
There is no way, no how anyone can learn how to groom a Shih Tzu in a teddy bear cut by reading about it on an internet forum! Each dog requires a different approach depending on the texture and condition of their coat. Furthermore, using a clip on comb is no easy thing...if you are not extremely careful that comb will pop off when you hit the first snag and you will have just shaved a two inch wide line to the skin down the middle of the dog with a #30 blade...try explaining that one to your client!
I would STRONGLY suggest that if you don't plan on attending a grooming school you at least find a good groomer to apprentice under. It is pretty darn likely they will not let you do a teddy bear cut on a Shih Tzu with a clip on comb without LOTS of use with that blade and comb on a dog with a different coat texture than a Tzu! It is not at all like shaving a dog!
And, again, this post is well over 3 years old and most of the original posters are no longer even members of Dogster.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2