GO!

Shih Tzu, Wot cut do you get?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Freddie

Barked: Fri Sep 3, '10 3:50pm PST 
Hi,

I'm new to this so forgive me if i'm doing this in the wrong place.

I have a 1yr old shih tzu and as yet i haven't found a groomer who cuts my boy how i like.

i like the puppy cut where its a bit longer so hes cute n fluffy still

first time he went he literaly came back totally bald i was so gutted i cried. sad i know but i was gutted
she made such a mess of him and he was still wet, i was fuming.

I tried a different groomer and even when i asked her to leave him longer she still shaved him really short. last time i went i asked her to leave him longer and she said she couldn't as her clippers didn't leave longer than an inch so she basically thinned his fur with the scissors which was a waste of time as he was a mess again a week later. i'm getting fed up.

I'm trying a new groomer tomorrow, i've checked the place out and discussed his cut with the new groomer and i'm hoping she does him right. i've showed her a picture of how i want him doing and she said its not a problem but i've heard this so many times before. i feel sick at the thought of taking him incase he comes back shaved short again.

is it a teddybear cut or puppy cut were they are left longish and fluffy? Just wondered if maybe i'm asking for the wrong thing i want at least 2 inches left.

thanks
[notify]
Miss Lola- Luftnagle

Solid Gold- Dancer

Barked: Fri Sep 3, '10 4:37pm PST 
First off, your pup needs to be pretty much matt free, no tangles or knots. This is the only reason why I would think a groomer, would shave your puppers down so short.
Secondly, its not all that easy giving an all over, even handed scissored cut to drop coated breeds. Wahls longest"E" guide comb is just a wee bit over 1" Plenty long enough for a cute puppy cut. I my self on my own dog Gus Use the "A" =3/4" on the body, then skim the legs, and scissor finish all over. Cute and Fluffy, and not a pain to get a comb through every other day.
Sometimes when shih tzu's that have a bit of wave to their coats, and just going a 1/4" shorter in length gives a more elegant look.
[notify]
Ben

Barked: Fri Sep 3, '10 5:11pm PST 
I just got my elderly shiddie cut and we went mega short (cut in his current pic), his eyes and ears are bad, so its more function than form. The way I see it, comfort comes first, pretty is nice, but as long as they're happy, surely the cut isn't so important?
[notify]

Riley Star

The Life Of- Riley

Barked: Fri Sep 3, '10 8:44pm PST 
An inch is longer than you probably think it is. I rarely ever leave an inch on a shih tzu, its TOO long for people to manage and the dog gets matted too quickly. I generally leave 1/2 inch to 3/4 an inch. It looks cute with a teddy bear head.

If you get 2 inches, (there is a 2 inch guide comb), you are not even going to think he got a haircut and in a week he will be messy again. Waste of money and time.

Your pup probably got shaved because you cannot get the 1/2 inch or 3/4 guides through a matted coat.

Edited by author Fri Sep 3, '10 8:46pm PST

[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Sat Sep 4, '10 4:50am PST 
Yes but if the groomer had to shave her dog short due to matting then shouldnt the groomer have called to ask permission to shave first. If a dog is too matted to do exactly what the owner wants I always call and ask first and explain what is going on. Otherwise I do exactly what is asked of me. Hopefully you get what is wanted this time and fyi a puppy cut just means one length all over so make sure to specify the length you want. A good groomer should ask you anyways.
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Sat Sep 4, '10 10:27am PST 
Maybe you can find a pic of exactly how you'd like them to cut it and show them? That way they you are on the same page.
[notify]
Miss Lola- Luftnagle

Solid Gold- Dancer

Barked: Sat Sep 4, '10 4:45pm PST 
Yes, I always call myself. I also try to give a thorough assesment of what can and what can't be done during check in.
Most clients, unless they come in every 4 weeks have problems with matting with anything over a 2 guard cry
I did have a shipoo come in last week for his first cut @ around 6 months. Really long hair, but not one freaking mat. I just about cried, no lie. Only once in a blue moon, will I encounter a client who REALLY brushes/combs everydayway to go
[notify]
Riley Star

The Life Of- Riley

Barked: Sat Sep 4, '10 9:30pm PST 
Oh yes I agree. I tell owners at check in if their dog is getting shaved.. easier that way no phone calls later. If they dont want the dog shaved, out the door they go. I'm not in business to torture dogs for selfishness.
[notify]
Sedona

It\'s Tough- Being A Spoiled- Puppy!

Barked: Tue Sep 7, '10 1:27pm PST 
Awwwwww! Your puppy is really CUTE! cloud 9 smile

Q: Puppy blow coat phase?

Was your puppy's coat MATTED by chance, when you brought him to the groomers?

At 1 yr old, your Tzu might be blowing his puppy coat. This can happen anywhere from 10 mos old to 1 yr old! And it's a NIGHTMARE and a half! eek My Tzu had the worst puppy blow coat stage everrrrrrrr. ugh, I cringe just thinkiong about it! Luckily, I had the support of her show breeder. way to go She helped me immensely by telling me about all the grooming tools I needed and how I was to use them. Have you spoken to your puppy's breeder? She/he should be willing to answer ANY questions you may have regarding coat care and types of puppy clips.

I began grooming my puppy every day, right when I got her at 10 weeks old, so that she would get used to my brushing her. Yet..that puppy blowcoat phase was still horrendous! eek It seemed as though her coat would mat right before my eyes! laugh out loud Brushing twice a day no longer sufficed. During her blow coat phase, I made sure to brush 3-4 x day.

Even if you are going to take your puppy to the groomers every 4-6 weeks, you are still going to need to do your own maintenance grooming every single day. When your pup gets his adult coat in, he can still go through another blow coat phase! eek Mine did again at about 16 or 18 mos old. It wasn't as bad as the first time, but it was still pretty bad. lol

Do you have ALL the grooming tools you need?
**pin brush (straight pins only!, not ball-tipped!)
**"gentle" slicker brush (these pins HURT! So never rake against your pup's skin! Only rake through a matt, away from the skin -- use your own hand as a barrier between the matt and the dog's skin)
**combs with wide and medium tooth spacing
**flea comb (for face)
**grooming sray (for before you brush and to help de-tangle)
**rinseless shampoo (for the emergency "spot" shampoo'ing needs, and also to clean face daily)
**Visine Tears or "eye wash" -- to cleanse your Tzu's eyes daily. Be sure NOT to get the kind that says "to get the red out". Never use that kind.
**face cleansing pads or small sponge to clean face daily***
**dog toothpaste and brush** (ok, not coat care, but thought I'd mention it anyway! lol)
**coarse nail file to keep your pup's nails trimmed in between grooming visits***

Ok, those are some of the things you should have in your pup's "maintenance" grooming bag. way to go

IF you brush just 15 min at a time, 3-4 times per day during this puppy blow coat phase, your pup and you AND your groomer will all be much happeier. And if your pup is past the blow coat phase, you can just cut down the brushing time to 1 or 2 x day. way to go

I hope this helps some! And if your pup's coat was NOT "matted" when you brought him to the groomers, I'm really confused as to why the groomer would have clipped him shorter than what you asked. shrug If that's the case, then just find a different groomer.

Good luck!
puppy kisses to your cutie pie Tzu puppy!! cloud 9
[notify]
Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Tue Sep 14, '10 1:57pm PST 
I had a terrible time finding a groomer I liked for Bingley. His first full cut, though I told the groomer how long to leave him, cut him down sooo short, and Bingley wasn't matted at all. I'm a bit fussy about keeping him mat-free, lol.

Anyway, for me, even though now I finally found a groomer I like, a couple months ago he cut Bingley's tail really short. I kept Bingley's tail around 7" long, and well combed and brushed, but the groomer on one trip just decided to cut it down to about 3" long. Hmph, lol. (I seriously think he missed his tail, he was so pouty after that grooming) So even when you find a good groomer, things will still go wrong, lol.

But, I personally get my tzu's (Emmett and Bingley) cut 1" and tell them to make their faces cute and round. After I see what that groomer's idea of that cut is, then the next time I can tell them things like ears shorter, chin shorter, etc, because everyone will have a different picture in their head for a teddy bear cut.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2