GO!

Difference between hair and fur????

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Thu Aug 26, '10 10:28pm PST 
Are there really dogs with fur and dogs with hair? I think of cats as having fur and dogs having hair, but isn't it all the same, just different textures?? I know some dog owners say their dog has hair and the rest of ours have fur.

Any info will be appreciated.
[notify]
Tex

Everything's- bigger in Texas!- Cept me!

Barked: Thu Aug 26, '10 11:42pm PST 
Hey Lily,

I remember having a similar thought when I was in the 5th grade and we were learning about "mammals." Ok.. we were 12.. so we should have known specifically what a mammal was. But we were learning about their biology. I remember the definiation of a mammal besides "babies" being grown "inside" the mothers body (of course with the exception of the platypus), and drinking milk from their mother's body.. that ALL mammals have "fur." When I asked my teacher "we are mammals and we don't have fur." She told me by all intensive purposes fur and hair were the same thing.. Even whales have fur/hair.

But if you want a more "grown up" explaination.. the term "fur" is the word used for ALL non human mammals. The term "hair" is used for all mammals (humans and non humans).
[notify]
Tex

Everything's- bigger in Texas!- Cept me!

Barked: Thu Aug 26, '10 11:44pm PST 
Oh and here is something that explains it a bit better I just looked up. It appears to also refer to the way it is "grown"

Fur grows "synchronized" while hair grows "independently".

And of course texture (soft verses coarse"

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Fur_vs_Hair

smile
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Aug 27, '10 12:47pm PST 
I understood the difference to be that fur grows only to a pre-determined length and hair grows forever. Fur normally has "bands" with a narrower band at the tip and a thicker band at the base, and they (the bands) are often different colors or textures. Hair is the same diameter either at the base or at the tip.
Hair in a poodle will grow forever if it's not cut, my lab's fur will only grow to an inch or so, then stop growing.
Dunno if this is correct or not, but it makes some sense to me????
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Sat Aug 28, '10 10:32pm PST 
Yeah some dogs hair/fur will keep growing and growing if it isn't cut.

And, some have people-like hair like yorkies, maybe? I'm not sure, but I know I have read that about some breeds.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 6:09am PST 
No hair grows forever! It has a long life span though. Maybe hair has a life span but fur is seasonal? The texture certainly seems completely different, I think that is so.
[notify]