GO!

Homemade natural tear stain remedy?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Tex

Everything's- bigger in Texas!- Cept me!

Barked: Sun Aug 22, '10 3:27pm PST 
Anybody have a homemade natural tear stain remedy? I've been recently looking up natural homemade dog shampoos and whitening shampoos that I want to try (and still open to more ideas if you have any other than the usual), but I'm looking for a tear stain remedy I can do for Tex. Thanks so much!
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Wed Aug 25, '10 7:58pm PST 
Make sure the dog is eating a proper diet that is free of artificial flavoring, coloring/dyes, etc.
Also make sure the doggie isn't allergic to anything in the food...this can cause staining as well.

The BEST thing we have found for our white bulldog is the supplement- Bragg's Raw Apple Cider Vinegar. Despite being on a limited ingred diet for his food allergy and all of that he started to get a bit of a tear stain bc of his eyes running due to his dry eye.
I read online that raw apple cider vinegar can help with that as well as all kinds of other issues.

I started adding a spoonful or so on his food and within a couple of weeks I noticed a different. The staining that was starting to form went away under his eyes and on his feet. I think it helped the feet to quit itching therefore he wasn't licking them anymore.
But, the neatest thing is that before using this I had to clean out his bulldog tail pocket several times a week, and in between his toes. They would always stay so nasty and now I only have to clean it like once a month and the toes look great.

It helps with allergies as well as keeping yeast away and is safe and natural.

If his eyes run due to irritation or allergies you can get an eye lubricant drop and put in the eyes, that will help if that's the case.

Edited by author Wed Aug 25, '10 7:59pm PST

[notify]
Tex

Barked: Thu Aug 26, '10 10:37am PST 
Thank you so much for the info? Do I need to order this online? Or can I get it at a local store (health food and what not).

We recently got him.. well found him. He had nasty tear stains on his eyes. I know for sure that his previous owner did not feed him a proper diet.. the little guy almost starved to death.

We are trying different diets with him right now.. a mix of high quality dog food, home prepared meals, and raw. He is a picky eater so I'm trying to figure out what works best for him.
[notify]

Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Thu Aug 26, '10 6:02pm PST 
No you can get it if you have a kroger in the healthy food section or at GNC or order it at GNC.com. I just tell everyone about it bc it helped Brodie a lot.
Along with the grain free limited ingred diet.

He doesn't look like he has tear stains in his pics?

Edited by author Thu Aug 26, '10 6:05pm PST

[notify]
Tex

Barked: Thu Aug 26, '10 11:48pm PST 
That's because he is super "poofy" and the poofiness covers them up! big grin And probably have something to do with the camera angle. wink

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I really appreciate your help!
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Fri Aug 27, '10 5:42pm PST 
He is so cute!!!

You are very welcome, I hope it helps.
I hope he'll take the ACV. Brodie eats his food just fine with a little poured on it. But, I tried adding it to all the dogs water and none of them would even drink it.

If he want eat his food w/the app cid vineagar on it. Maybe u can mix it in something he loves. Just use a lil bit. I hope it will help!
[notify]
MattieMay

Agility Diva!

Barked: Sat Aug 28, '10 5:49pm PST 
You can put the ACV in your dog's water bowl. Start with a very small amount. Give your dog a few days to become accustomed to this amount. Then start adding a bit more. Build it up over time. I add a teaspoon of ACV to 2 cups of water regularly.
[notify]
Tex

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 11:21am PST 
Thanks MattieMay.

Does it have to be a specific ACV? or any brand? I always have both types of vinegar in my house because I make a lot of my own cleaning supplies... There are always large jugs of it. But just curious if I need to buy a specific brand. smile
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sun Aug 29, '10 1:12pm PST 
It needs to be the raw natural kind, not the kind for cleaning, etc.

I use the Bragg's brand from kroger or gnc. It's about 5.00 or so for 32oz!!!

Edited by author Sun Aug 29, '10 1:12pm PST

[notify]