GO!

How do you guys get pet hair off of your bedding?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Bojangles

Bo - My Hero

Barked: Sat Aug 21, '10 12:31pm PST 
I use the lint rollers as well, on the bedding directly on the bed. It also helps to have a clean dryer lint screen before drying any bedding that contained animal hair.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sat Aug 21, '10 1:19pm PST 
Yeah on our sofa we keep throws and a sheet on it, I have a microfiber couch that is dark brown so it has to be covered bc of all of Brodie's white hair and shedding. Some always makes its way onto the furniture though and I use my attachment that spins on the hoover windtunnel, it gets the hair right off there and the stairs.
As far as the bed goes, we decided when our first dog was a pup to make the bed a 'no dog' zone.
[notify]
Buddy- Doughnut- *CGC*ESA*

I\'m Jelly- Filled! *Gone- But Not Forgote

Barked: Sat Aug 21, '10 1:43pm PST 
Great advice here. I just got new sheets and Buddy's hair clings them.
[notify]

Brutus

Tennis ball,- tennis ball,- tennis ball...

Barked: Sat Aug 21, '10 3:28pm PST 
We've got two non-shedding Wheatens here smile No pet hair worries for us!!
[notify]
Gabrielle

Stop! You little- fart-nugget!

Barked: Sat Aug 21, '10 4:19pm PST 
I agree with Milton. The high thread count bedding works wonders. I used to keep just a solid color sheet on the couch for everyday. I have started using better sheets to keep from changing it as often. wink
[notify]
Samson

Barked: Sat Aug 21, '10 5:37pm PST 
My daughter has a pom. She always had a problem with hair on everything but just vacuumed it up, until she became a mom and became "germaphobic". I now groom her pom every few weeks and in the summer he gets his lion-cut. I think he looks precious and he is so much cooler. She tells me it helps tremendously with the hair issue.
[notify]
Samson

Barked: Sat Aug 21, '10 5:40pm PST 
My daughter has a pom. She always had a problem with hair on everything but just vacuumed it up, until she became a mom and became "germaphobic". I now groom her pom every few weeks and in the summer he gets his lion-cut. I think he looks precious and he is so much cooler. She tells me it helps tremendously with the hair issue.
[notify]
Pasha

Pasha - let\'s PLAY

Barked: Sun Sep 5, '10 6:37am PST 
I find the easiest way is to have color bedding similar to your pet.
Beige bedding for tan, light brown, yellow, gold or white dogs or cats. Dark bedding for dark colored dogs or cats.

Then you never see the hairs, it blends with the color of the bedding.

You can vacumn your bedspread, we use to do that, but now we have matching bedding to match the hair, so we don't see the hair.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sun Sep 5, '10 9:15pm PST 
True indeed!

Brodie's white hair shows up a mile away on our brown furniture!
[notify]
Hector

Barked: Mon Sep 6, '10 9:06am PST 
I'm notorious for being a "clean freak" so the following advice may seem over the top, but it really is much simpler than the back breaking work of trying to pick hair off of your bedding. I'll try to keep it real and of course the great thing about forums is that you can decide to follow the advice that works best for you and your daily routine.

2 of my 4 dogs sleep with me. Hector my biggest dog, not only sheds terribly, but he drools even worse. If I don't get ALL of the dry kibbles out of the cubby's inside of his mouth, they end up in drool form on my pillow or sheets. Looks really nasty too.

I spent years changing my sheets on a daily basis, until I decided to just add a "hector" sheet beneath my top sheet.

My routine is as follows:
Place a sheet folded shortways across the top of my bed beneath the top sheet. I fold it for extra protection as sheets will allow sand and small things to slip through them. I fold it short ways so it will span far enough across the bed to account for his 125 lb body, so that when he stretches his neck out, his mouth is still on the sheet.

I have a throw made with plush microfiber at the foot where my youngest dog Gidget sleeps. This serves two purposes, one for her to sleep on, as she loves that fabric, and the second purpose is to give her something to chew as she is drifting off to sleep, otherwise she will chew my sheets.

When I get up in the morning, and the dogs go out for their morning ritual, I CAREFULLY pick up Hectors sheet and Gidgets throw, take them outside and shake them vigorously. If they have drool on them, I toss them in the washer, if they look to have stayed pretty clean, I toss them in the dryer to remove excess hair, using a fabric softener and reuse them without washing.

Before making my bed, I will go ahead and shake my own sheets to make sure any transfer hair is completely off, then replace Hectors sheet, add my top sheet, then my spread. (The spread comes off at night, as it is snow white and I want to keep it that way, LOL) Once I have made up my bed, I usually try to vacuum next, to pick up any hair that was shaken off, to keep it from stirring back up, and do a light dusting if needed. My ceiling fans will stir hair all day anyway, but a quick vacuum keeps it at bay for a while.

So this routine really keeps my bed fresh and clean so I feel comfortable climbing into it at night and I am not washing my sheets to death.

Some other tips that will help is as follows:

High thread count sheets, will not hold on to hair as easily as lower thread count. Low count will ball up, and the threads will fuzz out and that makes it hard to let anything slide off of them. (Overstock.com has great prices on high thread count sheets)

Don't overload your washer, and clean it after washing any pet bedding.
Wash even a single sheet using a larger capacity load fill to give the bedding room to agitate and to allow the hair to freely wash off.

Dry using a fabric sheet and clean dryer afterwords to avoid transfer with your next load.

It is impossible to have a hair free environment with pets that shed, and though my routine may sound a bit high maintenance, it has made my daily routine easier and quicker by just adding the extra sheet/throw.

I have been lucky to have trained my dogs that the bed is off limits when the white spread is on the bed. If it is off, then they see that as a green light to get on the bed. I have days that I leave it off, and cover the entire bed with a large dog sheet, and just let them sleep in there all day if they want. They LOVE it.

Hopefully something here will work for you.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3