GO!

Itchy after grooming?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Brutus

Tennis ball,- tennis ball,- tennis ball...

Barked: Sun Jul 4, '10 2:57pm PST 
We got Brutus goomed on Thursday morning. He got a full haircut and bath, along with nail clipping. When he came home from the grooming place, he was rubbing his face in to the couch. We thought he got water in his ears, and that did eventually pass. That night, however, he began to itch suddenly. He was constantly licking his paws, legs, stomach.

We went out of town Friday-Sunday. A friend watched both of our dogs for us. When we got home, we noticed that he was still licking! It is mostly his legs now.

We made sure that he got bathed in oatmeal shampoo, so I don't have any idea whats causing this irritation to the skin. Any ideas?

Edited by author Sun Jul 4, '10 2:58pm PST

[notify]
Ch. Chaz

We don't do- doodles!

Barked: Sun Jul 4, '10 5:48pm PST 
Anytime a dog needs to be shaved due to a build up of matts they end up with itchy skin. I suspect it's due to dead skin and other junk under the matts, and when that skin is finally exposed, it itches. Probably much the same as a human's skin under a cast. You can try a benedryl if your vet approves.
[notify]
Jasmine Lula

Sweet Girl

Barked: Mon Jul 5, '10 12:49pm PST 
You said he was groomed at petsmart right? Honestly, their shampoos, even the apple oatmeal, are crap, and cause a lot of dogs to get itchy. I had a lot of customers complain about it.

My recommendation would be to get a hypoallergenic or decent brand oatmeal/medicated shampoo, wash him with it, let it soak, and rinse rinse rinse reallllly well. See if that helps.

And it could just be hes not used to being 'naked' and it feels weird to him. Give him time.

Edited by author Mon Jul 5, '10 12:50pm PST

[notify]

Desmond CGC

Poodle Swag

Barked: Tue Jul 6, '10 8:55am PST 
If he was shaved due to mats, it's probably just because he was shaved. It feels really weird to have all this thick, tangled hair and then suddenly not have any. He may have gotten slight clipper burn if they had to shave a lot off, you could call your groomer and ask if they noticed anything or if they knew why he could be itching- they're the ones who groomed him, after all.
Also, when a doggy is shaved, small bits of hair that were shaved off will sometimes linger and will itch on the doggy's skin. You could try benadryl if you wanted, but I would give him a quick bath first, to try and get out any stray hairs, or maybe the shampoo wasn't all the way rinsed out when he got groomed, etc. Just use some really gentle shampoo and rinse him out really really good. Hopefully that will help. If he keeps itching for a very long time, ask your vet.
[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Tue Jul 6, '10 10:58am PST 
I am not a groomer, but if it were my dog I would use just conditioner and rinse him extremely well. What did Gretta tell me - rinse until you think you're done, then rinse again. As a former husky owner/guardian, I really didn't need that advice, but it is very good advice.

Moira uses Tropiclean Oxymed Conditioner - again advice from Gretta. It does a great job with itchies.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Tue Jul 6, '10 11:10am PST 
Alot of groomers will spray a perfume on the pet after grooming which can often cause allergic reactions. If the itching continues then make sure to contact your vet and discuss using an anti-histamine. For your next appointment make sure to notify them that he was itchy after that last one so they can make sure to avoid anything but oatmeal shampoo.

You can also bring your own shampoo too if you know he has allergies
[notify]
Jasmine Lula

Sweet Girl

Barked: Tue Jul 6, '10 11:37am PST 
^^Not allowed to bring your own shampoo to petsmart unless it is vet prescribed.
[notify]
Brutus

Tennis ball,- tennis ball,- tennis ball...

Barked: Tue Jul 6, '10 11:42am PST 
Thanks for all of the responses! Brutus hasn't been licking nearly as much as he was last week. I think he just had to get used to being shaved is all. It could have been some loose hairs, but either way, I think he feels better about it. It's much cooler for him. He can stay outside much longer now!

Woof woof
[notify]
Marley

Porky Yorkie

Barked: Wed Sep 11, '13 6:21am PST 
I took my PekePoo to the groomer yesterday. This morning he keeps licking his right front arm from the arm pit to the paw. He wouldn't get off the bed and I put him at his food bowl and he got back up on the sofa and licks his front leg. He acts like it is irritated, as he whines some.
[notify]
Marley

Porky Yorkie

Barked: Wed Sep 11, '13 6:21am PST 
I took my PekePoo to the groomer yesterday. This morning he keeps licking his right front arm from the arm pit to the paw. He wouldn't get off the bed and I put him at his food bowl and he got back up on the sofa and licks his front leg. He acts like it is irritated, as he whines some.
[notify]