GO!

How often should a dog be groomed in the winter

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Cassidy

Barked: Tue Jan 5, '10 7:41am PST 
Just wondering how often I should groom my dog in the winter? She's a border collie mix. thinking
[notify]
Max

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 6:33am PST 
She should be groomed the same all year round wink
Do you mean a professional grooming ?
[notify]
Maya

Excited to have- a twolegger- sibling!!!

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 7:25am PST 
I think this is one of those questions with a lot of different answers. In the end it really depends on the dog. I go by how the coat looks. If it looks good no reason to bathe. If it gets greasy or too flaky(she has allergies) we give her a bath. Also go by smell. If she stinks, it's definitely bath time!

And of course for dogs with longer hair, they do need to be brushed often. I brush Maya a couple times a week to prevent any matting in her fur. Amount of times brushed depends on how easily your dogs coat gets tangled in itself.

Edited by author Wed Jan 6, '10 7:26am PST

[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 8:51am PST 
Agree, as needed. Max just got the works as his ears were greasy, he was getting little knots and I was pulling out way too much fur every time I combed him out.
[notify]
Henry

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 3:10pm PST 
I recommend that my clients have their dogs groomed every 6-8 weeks professionally, with home care at least once a week at home (brushing, nail trims, etc). Obviously, some dogs need more brushing, but that's a good rule of thumb for most breeds.
[notify]
Ando

Shepherd Savior.

Barked: Wed Jan 6, '10 7:41pm PST 
As you usually would- perhaps even more often though.
Being inside with the heater on all the time can dry out her skin and make it flaky- then you might want to use a moisturizing oatmeal shampoo to wash her with. There's also a lot of dirt and mud in the winter time that contribute as factors too ( you can clean her ears out with water mixed with a little bit of white vinegar ). Brushing is still essential- year round- no matter what season it is.
[notify]
Samson

Can I have some?

Barked: Fri Jan 8, '10 8:22am PST 
Hi Cassidy,
We brush and do nails regularly, but the bathing depends on the weather. It gets into single digits here and very dry so we don't bath until it warms, he can go a couple months or more without a bath. I don't like washing his natural oils off when it is so dry. Not sure if it is correct, but it works for us.smile
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Fri Jan 8, '10 8:47am PST 
As the others suggested, I groom in the winter as often as I normally do all year round. The only difference is how much hair I take out. In the winter time, I leave a bit of extra undercoat in, while in the summer I take as much undercoat out as I can. But everything else is the same.
[notify]
Colt

We were born- for this!

Barked: Fri Jan 8, '10 10:59am PST 
I pay more attention to Colt's paws in the winter. I make sure the fur and nails are trimmed well and stay as dry as possible during walks.

Other than that, he doesn't get any special grooming, although his fur is thicker and takes a little longer to brush out.

ETA: I do have a container of spray leave-in conditioner for when his skin gets really dry. It smells good, too, so I don't have to bathe as often.

Edited by author Fri Jan 8, '10 11:02am PST

[notify]