GO!

Tear Stains- Saline Solution

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
♥- Daisy Mae- ™

Wild Woman

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 5:46pm PST 
I read that a way to help prevent tear stains is by using a saline solution and a cotton ball to wipe away the excess. Is it because it dilutes it? Has anyone tried this and does it work?

Daisy's tear stains seem to be getting worse. I take a wet washcloth and wipe her eyes 2-3 times daily but that doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions? My vet said it wasn't bothersome for her just more so a cosmetic issue. She told me that nothing really works and I'm hoping that isn't the case. eek
[notify]
Bailey

Wild Child

Barked: Wed Aug 26, '09 8:32am PST 
I have a maltese and chihuahua. They both had terrible tear stains. We bought a bottle of "Angel Eyes" from our local Petland store. It's a powder that you put in their food. It was literally like night and day! We've tried everything for them, but this is the first thing that actually worked. Their eyes are beautiful. No more stains. It is a bit expensive. I believe it was like $25, but it's worth it.
Here's their website:
http://www.angelseyesonline.com/

Edited by author Wed Aug 26, '09 8:33am PST

[notify]
♥- Daisy Mae- ™

Wild Woman

Barked: Wed Aug 26, '09 3:33pm PST 
I heard that angel eyes is actually an antibiotic and you shouldn't use it. Did they have any health problems at all? I would like to try it, I'll probably ask the vet first if its safe to use. Thanks!dog
[notify]

Bailey

Wild Child

Barked: Thu Aug 27, '09 7:59am PST 
Is it really an antibiotic? I didn't know that. They've been on it for months and they seem normal
[notify]
Tohbi - Deceased- 10/04/2013

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Thu Aug 27, '09 9:37am PST 
Yep - Angel Eyes and Angel Glow both have the active ingredient Tylosin which is an antibiotic. Debate is ongoing about the long term effects of its use for cosmetic purposes.

I'm gonna keep looking here, though. I need to find a stain remover for around Tohbi's jowls. Its just like tear stains, but around his floppy lips. His eyes are OK (knock on wood).
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Thu Aug 27, '09 3:54pm PST 
Angel Eyes is a low potency antibiotic like Tohbi said. I wouldn't use it everyday just for tear stains.

I'd try to see if it's the diet first.. as diet can really affect the production of tears. Short of that, some doggies have eye-face structures that don't quite drain fast enough and produce tearing and tear stains. I have found the best way to keep tear stains away is to keep the area dry. The redness is caused by the multiplication of bacteria in the tears that remain stagnant on their face.

Luna has some tear staining but her hair is black so you can't tell. I just try to wipe often and keep the area dry.
[notify]
Nefertiti

Queen of the- Squeakies!

Barked: Thu Aug 27, '09 8:29pm PST 
As far as the staining around the mouth goes, I heard from a Westie breeder that she uses powdered buttermilk. She sprinkles a little bit on their food, and apparently the acidity of the buttermilk keeps the staining away.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Fri Aug 28, '09 1:54pm PST 
I just wipe my bulldog's eyes out twice a day and sometimes use malaseb pledgettes...they are anti fungal and anti yeast.
There are other remedies they suggest on the bulldog forums...such as giving a half tums a day. It balances ph levels out or something like that.

Also, if the dogs eyes are running more due to allergies....buy some eye lubricant drops with the active ingredient of methylcellulose in them. This helped Brodie a lot in the spring and fall time.
[notify]
♥- Daisy Mae- ™

Wild Woman

Barked: Sat Aug 29, '09 8:05pm PST 
I've heard the tums thing before but not sure how safe that is either. I've also heard adding vinegar to their water. I just recent bought naturvet, a supplement sprinkled on their food. It is suppose to be natural and veterinarian formulated but she is suppose to be on it for a long time. I've only used it 2 days now and haven't noticed anything but I'll be patient and see if it works. She is teething right now being only 3 months old so I know that might be the cause. I also give her purified water and she eats royal canine. I'm too hesitant to give her anything else since that is what she has been eating.
Thanks everyone! blue dog

http://www.naturvet.com/index.php?option=com_dogcat&task=view &Itemid=32&pid=141
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Sat Aug 29, '09 8:56pm PST 
I know you said you're hesitant to give her any other food, but really, a switch from royal canin may do you wonders.. all the doggies I know who had tear stain problems, had less or none when they were switched to another food not so corn and grain based. blue dog
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2