GO!

Best Shampoo for Dog with Allergies?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Mon Jun 22, '09 5:12pm PST 
As far as I know, Bingley isn't allergic to shampoo, but more food/outdoor stuff. But since he has the itchies, I want to get him a really good, hypoallergenic (just in case) shampoo. I was thinking an oatmeal shampoo, but was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? There is so much to choose from out there, it's hard to tell which ones are nice ones. The one I get I'm going to have my groomer use until he's over the worst of his allergies.

Edit to add:
Has anyone used Comfy Dog? http://www.earthdoggy.com/comfy-dog-oatmeal-shampoo.html

Edited by author Mon Jun 22, '09 5:19pm PST

[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Mon Jun 22, '09 7:18pm PST 
From several glowing testimonials on another forum I bought Eqyss Micro Tek. Found it locally at a huge horse/pet supply store nearby.
[notify]
Winnie (Deceased)

It's a Doberman- eat Chihuahua- world.

Barked: Thu Jun 25, '09 1:48am PST 
I'm allergic to fleas so one bite and I just lose it in a scratch frenzy but I'll let you into a little known grooming secret......Wool wash KILLS fleas. My prefered brand is Mrs. McGregors Wool Wash. Because wool is sensitive and the wool wash is the best thing to wash it in, it is ok to use on dogs fur. I find I get washed less often when I use it. Also, A horse breeder that my owner knows swears by it!

~Winnie
[notify]

Baron

Amen. Bow Wow.- Says it all.

Barked: Fri Jun 26, '09 12:46pm PST 
Bing, i have a sample of that shampoo.. i havn't used it yet.. but plan to... I got a several samples from that company.. try to contact them and see if you can get some..
[notify]
Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Fri Jun 26, '09 12:57pm PST 
Oh, good! I didn't know they offered samples! Thanks for letting me know puppy
[notify]
Teddy

tennis ball- destroyer

Barked: Fri Jun 26, '09 4:27pm PST 
Earthbath is a good shampoo and comes in several "allergy" formulas. It's completely natural and biodegradeable.
[notify]
Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Fri Jun 26, '09 7:23pm PST 
I was checking out the Earthbath shampoos. I bought the tea tree oil spray for hot spots and itchies yesterday, and started using it on him last night. He sure loves the process of rubbing it into his coat/skin, lol. He fell asleep on the table while I was doing it today after work. It must feel soothing if he loved it that much. I think I may have an Earthbath shampoo sample, but I think it might just be the puppy shampoo. I'll have to double check. I do love that it's all natural way to go
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sat Jun 27, '09 11:27pm PST 
I would recommend a shampoo you can get from veterinarians or online. It is called Douxo Calm Shampoo. It is a specially formulated shampoo created as a treatment for dogs with allergies. It's great stuff.
I've used Douxo shampoos on two dogs, not the Calm type but a different formulation they have and it worked great.

This is the info from the company on the Douxo Calm:

"Gently cleans and removes allergens
• Hypoallergenic cleansing bases
• No perfume
• No parabens

Helps control the vicious cycle of allergy

Long-lasting action and protection

Pleasant to use
• Lathers well
• Fresh, natural fragrance"

If you can't get that one, I'd try Earthbath Clear Advantages shampoo or Earthbath Hypo-Allergenic shampoo
[notify]
Dennis- FDCH-S,- TFIII

I love agility- and flyball!

Barked: Thu Jul 2, '09 7:39am PST 
We really like Halo Cloud Nine herbal shampoo. Ingredients: Saponified Oils of Coconut, Olive and Jojoba, Tea Tree Oil, Rosemary Oil, Sage Oil Cedarwood Oil, Peppermint Oil, Sweet Orange Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Pine Needle Oil, Aloe Vera, Rosemary Extract (as a preservative)

It lathers very well, and rinses away very easily.
[notify]