GO!

White fur discoloration around mouth

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Angel

Play hard, sleep- harder

Barked: Thu Aug 18, '05 3:44pm PST 
How can I get Angels fur around her mouth white again? Is there a cleaner I can use to help? Thanks! Woof!
[notify]
Timothy

look at me- wheeze!!!!

Barked: Thu Aug 18, '05 3:48pm PST 
if it is the red/pink/brown color then the only real way to get rid of it is to cut off the stained hair. the only reason you don't se it on show dogs is because the handlers use colored chalk powder to hide it, like make-up. you can try wiping your dog's face a couple times a day to reduce the staining but saliva stains a tough
[notify]
Bentley J- Furball

making the world- hairier since- 1998

Barked: Thu Aug 18, '05 11:41pm PST 
Show handlers don't cover it up. . they keep it clean!

There are whitening shampoos that are ok. . none will really work miracles. The best thing you can do is make sure you don't have hard water, bathe your dog frequently, wipe down dirty mouths after eating and don't let 'em walk around with a wet face. Eventually the dirty hair will grow out and if you've been doing a good job, the hair will stay clean.

Want proof? Look at my beard!
[notify]

Isis, She is- dearly- missed....

Just call me- Isis...where's- my chewie??

Barked: Sat Aug 20, '05 6:13am PST 
have you thought about what type of food or water you give your doggie? I used to have horrible stains around my mouth. The vet suggested that momma give me bottled water (instead of tap), and my stains cleared right up! Turns out the chemicals or minerals in the water can wreak havic on our pretty faces!
[notify]
Cooper

be the person- your dog thinks- you are

Barked: Tue Aug 23, '05 4:55pm PST 
I bet you have beet pulp juice in the food your family gives you!!!
Our maltese got it from that and when we changed foods it stopped
[notify]
Bailey

No Fear!

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '05 4:12pm PST 
I realize this thread is somewhat old.. but I wanted to add my two cents. As you can see I own a westie, infact two westies now. I have an excellent westie book where the author states that you should always give your westie bottled or RO water to keep the beard, stain free.. I have proof that water is the cause.. My second westie came from a farm where the owner had well water... His beard was very discoloered. After having him for 3 months and giving him RO water, the stain is gradually fading, along with a nice white new growth. Clcik on my picture, you can see before and after pics.. The first picture was taken the day I got him..
[notify]
----Jordan--- --

Sweet & gentle- rabble rouser

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '05 5:13pm PST 
Bailey, I've thought about using distilled water but Jordan uses a trough-style waterer and I don't want to replace it. If it was distilled it might get more bacteria growth as it's in there several days.

Have you heard of using hydrogen peroxide solution on the beard?
[notify]
Bailey

No Fear!

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '05 5:04pm PST 
Jordan, Yes Ive heard some people using peroxide on beard stains. Not sure if it works or not though..

BTW, Jordan, maybe you already know about this forum but thought I would post it anyway.. Its a forum called The Terrier Club..

http://terrierclub.com/
[notify]
----Jordan--- --

Sweet & gentle- rabble rouser

Barked: Wed Sep 14, '05 1:25pm PST 
Bailey, thanks, sometimes we peek our head in there. (TC) We're members but function more as lurkers. smile
[notify]