GO!

How do I cord my poodles coat?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Nauva

Can I eat this?

Barked: Tue Feb 10, '09 7:23pm PST 
I have always loved the corded look on the standard poodle. I love grooming my dog so much that I went out and got my own pair of clippers and scissors. I am looking forward to taking the time to cord Nauva's coat. I know it take a lot of time to cord, a lot of time to bath and even longer to dry, since if they aren't dry they could get sick easier. My only issue is that I don't know how to cord the coat. Do I need special products? Someone told me I could use egg white to use to keep the cords together but I'm not real sure about that. Can anyone guide me with my cording?
[notify]
Cameo

October - breast cancer- awareness

Barked: Wed Feb 11, '09 3:50am PST 
A proper poodle coat should cord naturally, but it's some times necessary to encourage the cording by twisting and rolling. As the cords develop, it's up to you to make sure that the cords are all uniform in size and remain separate. At times, cords will require splitting because they have become to thick or have become entangled with each other, causing mats between them. Its very important that the coat be kept VERY CLEAN and imperative the coat be completely dried every time it gets wet (be if from a bath or just a romp in the morning dew or rain). Cords (being mats) allowed to remain damp, can become mildewed and also be a breeding ground for bacteria and yeast.

I've never maintained a corded coat, but a few other groomers I know, told me a corded coat is harder to maintain than a fluffed out coat. It's a daily maintenance thing and you can't take a day off or you'll end up with matted that would require the dog be shaved down.

here's a couple of links
http://www.standardpoodlesusa.com/corded-poodle.html

http://www .torontodoggroomer.ca/photo.html
[notify]
Jade- Alexandria

Dont mess with- me, I'm- chihuahua!

Barked: Wed Feb 11, '09 8:37pm PST 
I used to groom komondors (and someday I WILL own one) but even then in full corded coat it was a lot of work to keep clean. You have to go through the coat daily to split up the larger cords like Cameo mentioned. Takes days for the cords to dry as well after a bath.

Good luck on the corded thing. More power to you. Definetly a unique dog when you get to full coat.
[notify]

Nauva

Can I eat this?

Barked: Wed Feb 11, '09 9:37pm PST 
Thank you so much for your help. I'm really excited about grooming Nauva with the cords. I clipped his face and feet tonight to get him ready. I'm not sure yet if I want to shave his bum or not. I think I'll end up doing the poodle cut but in the corded look rather then an all over cord. Once again, thank you for your help!!!
[notify]
Kasper

Witam!

Barked: Wed Feb 11, '09 9:58pm PST 
Moondance is on Dogster too but I found her page very interesting.

here

I love her dogs! I'm sure you could find her profile here and ask questions too.
[notify]
Dantes

I have my own- reasons.

Barked: Sun Feb 15, '09 11:51am PST 
It's very much like human dreads... Look up Dreads and African hair it's very similar in texture and curl to a poodles...
I know wax is used to cord human hair, but I'm not sure for dogs =/
[notify]
Latte

Fetchaholic

Barked: Sun Feb 15, '09 1:31pm PST 
Wax is sometimes used for cording not-so-curly human hair. It is not necessary for and used for properly cording very coily hair. The coily hair will naturally form cords and only need to be separated.
[notify]
Kasper

Witam!

Barked: Sun Feb 15, '09 11:58pm PST 
This is true. I have that type of hair and I can get mats easily just from a rough night of sleep. Ah, to truly know the pain of the poodle wink
[notify]
Dantes

I have my own- reasons.

Barked: Mon Feb 16, '09 1:08am PST 
Yeah, or straight hair.... Or now they sometimes perm the dreads in with perm solution... looks really cool actually=P
[notify]