GO!

does cutting the quick hurt?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Barked: Sat Jan 10, '09 4:37pm PST 
Does it hurt the dog if you hit the quick?
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Sat Jan 10, '09 7:07pm PST 
I may be wrong but I was told that it was like a quick pinch. So for some dogs they act like its the end of the world bol but its not so bad. Thats probably why some dont notice it because its just a pinch. But its for sure not a painful thing. I mean avoid it as much as you can but its not as big a deal as some may think or well some dogs may think hehe.
[notify]
Andy

Sun God!

Barked: Sun Jan 11, '09 11:25am PST 
does cutting the quick on your nail hurt? wink I would say yes, it hurts a dog too.. Be careful not to do it otherwise your dog will forever fight you.
[notify]

ACE

Barked: Sun Jan 11, '09 1:27pm PST 
You dog will NOT forever fight you if you quik a nail. it happens, and it isnt a big deal. owners who think it is a big deal tend to have dogs that feel the same way, and i dont think thats a coincidence.

dogs, just like people, have different pain tolerances. some dogs dont even notice if something runs into them, yet others scream if water touches them. what i have learned, is that it really doesnt hurt most dogs. and of the dogs that it appears to hurt, they are usually just protesting in general. i have literally had a screaming little dog act like i was killing him. i happened to barely quik one nail and he didnt make a peep. so i think a lot of dogs just hate the nails getting trimmed. im told it is a quick pinch, which to some dogs is a big deal, and to others it doesnt matter.
[notify]
Boo

Life: Snack,- Snuggle, and- Sleep

Barked: Sun Jan 11, '09 9:39pm PST 
I don't agree at all that cutting the quick doesn't hurt.

My Boo had all of his nails cut past the quick by a BAD groomer. She told me to wait a couple of hours before picking him up and I didn't know why until much later. From that moment on, he wouldn't let any groomer clip his nails -- his tongue turned blue when 3 Petsmart groomers tried to hold him to get it done. The groomers returned my $8 and apologized telling me that they couldn't do it.

Boo was traumatized by that experience.

It took me a month of slowly building up his confidence for ME to able to clip his nails. I now can do it using a dremel (or a Peticure).
[notify]
Miss- Elizabeth- Swann

The Pirate Queen

Barked: Sun Jan 11, '09 11:28pm PST 
Cutting the quick in the toenail of a dog, by all biological reasoning, most certainly DOES hurt - there is a nerve ending that follows the small capillary (the blood vessel within the quick), and it's there for a reason - even if the dog isn't out in "the wild" anymore, they still have some of the biology necessary.
But it is more like the pinch described above, and it's also true that different dogs have different reactions. If a dog has the terrible experiences described above, that can lead to a bad reaction for toenail trimming even if the trimmer is nowhere near the quick. I am sorry that that happened to your little guy.
Occasionally even the professionals will accidentally cut a nail beyond the quick - it usually happens in smaller, more active dogs who are less accustomed to having their little feet being held. Groomers DO care when this happens, as it does nothing for the imperative trust relationship we have with our furry clients. We feel bad when it happens, but we also know that it isn't a major injury that will require medical response or antibiotics. The styptic powder that we have for when it does happen contains caustic materials - that is to say, it cauterizes the little spot, stops the bleeding and contains antiseptic properties to prevent infection. It is a minor thing, but the sight of blood is always a scary thing to confront, especially when it's coming from your precious little Precious's foot!
Should you get a really close trim that doesn't bleed at the grooming shop but starts to on the way home (walking on the concrete can open the quick up if the nail has been trimmed very close to the quick or just taken the tip of it off - which doesn't hurt, it only hurts if you cut the quick), there are a few things you can do:
Use flour to staunch the bleeding, or better yet corn starch! corn starch clumps up even better than flour and will stop the bleeding and form a protective little clump of barrier while your doggie's natural body defenses heal the opening and stop the bleeding naturally - if you leave it alone and check on it only every few minutes (just to make sure), the bleeding will stop. Do NOT use hydrogen peroxide to clean it, as hydrogen peroxide actually damages cells, preventing it from healing naturally. If it's messy, don't worry - doggie will clean it up themselves! Keep an eye on it for a day or two (no need to keep puppy home from daycare or you from work - just let any doggie caretakers know about it) - and if your little one leaves it alone, and it looks like a normal toe and nail, then you can let go of worry about it and just let the groomer know next time to go a little more conservative smile
If it starts to swell, or your little guy or gal seems to worry it a lot, or it is pink or has an odd small or look to it, then it's time to visit a vet - it may be that the irritation of having flour on their quick may just be annoying and they've licked it too much, or it may be a full-blown infection. Only a vet will know for sure.
Don't let this scare you! Nail trimming is the most basic part of grooming, the only thing that most dogs cannot go without, for the health of their feet and joints. Regular trimming or filing with a dremel (or even a nail file) will keep their toes straight and walking tall! Remember these are all risks you take with your own hands when you trim your own nails, or get a manicure - and dog's paw-dicures don't ever involve nasty chemicals! blue dog big grin
[notify]