GO!

Plucking Ear Hair Q

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Sun Oct 26, '08 2:31pm PST 
Bingley got his sanitary grooming done yesterday, and part of it was plucking the ear hair. When I came to pick him up, he wasn't all the way done, they still had his ears to do, so I waited. I could hear him screaming from getting his ear hair plucked, and I could hear his groomer soothing him, telling him it was almost done, etc. The girl was really sweet with him.

My question is, does the ear hair have to be plucked? With how upset he sounded, I would hate stressing him out like that again. Do the dogs that get it done get used to it? I probably should have asked his groomer, but he was stressed, I was tired, so we went over him being wiggly about his face, and I forgot to even ask her. It just seems mean to do, unless it actually serves a purpose.
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Sun Oct 26, '08 3:11pm PST 
Ear plucking does serve a purpose. To get air to the ear canal for one thing. Also the excess hair can get ear gook stuck in it adding to the dirtyness and moisture in the ear leading to ear infection. I have never had a dog scream while having this done. Then again I only pluck hair that will easily come out. So the ear is never totally clear. But its always clear and clean enough to not have to worry about infection. I have heard to many horror stories of dogs having terrible ear infections after the ear hair was completly plucked out.
[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Sun Oct 26, '08 7:23pm PST 
Yup, ear plucking for long-haired breeds is necessary. Why don't you work on desensitizing him to the ear plucking at home. Just pluck one hair and give a piece of hot dog, pluck another hair, more hotdog etc etc. Eventually your dog will like it when you pluck their hair because it means lots of treats. Maybe ask the groomer to help you by giving some treats during ear plucking, too?
[notify]

wilbur- ☮

big black- snugglebug

Barked: Sun Oct 26, '08 7:57pm PST 
I work for Levi's momma, who is a groomer, and I've never ever heard a doggie yelp when their ear hair got plucked. Maybe she just has a special knack for it? Wonder if she'll pop in here and let us know what she thinks....
[notify]
Goofball - CGC, CL1

Just Goofy.

Barked: Sun Oct 26, '08 8:14pm PST 
I have heard dogs scream bloody murder from having their hair plucked from their ears, but I have seen plenty more that do more than squirm a little. It can't feel normal. But some dogs do overreact regardless of what is happening.

The reasoning behind plucking the hairs from the ears was already stated. Some breeds get prone to ear infections if their ear canal passage is clogged up with hair. I have not heard of dogs getting ear infections after having it done (not directly from owners at least).

I pluck my girls ear hairs at least once every 2 weeks. This way there isn't much in their ears to pull. I use ear powder than clean the ears. My girls don't scream or squirm much at all. They just deal with it. I know they don't love it... but then they don't love a bath either.

Edited by author Sun Oct 26, '08 8:17pm PST

[notify]
Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Mon Oct 27, '08 10:28am PST 
Thanks for all the suggestions. Bingley does tend to over react, so I know that was part of it. He throws a tantrum (but no screaming) when I try to clean him up with a puppy wipe. He'll growl and wiggle, and snap (not bite, but snap warning me to stop). I'll have to try plucking one and then giving him a treat. I know that giving him an extra special treat to eat while I brush him, etc, has helped get him to like being brushed. Maybe he doesn't like it, but he lets me do it now, and I don't always have to give him a treat to keep him from running away, haha.
[notify]
Levi,- PAWS-My- Guardian- Angel

Can't keep a- cattle dog down- :)

Barked: Mon Oct 27, '08 8:35pm PST 
Make sure you use ear powder- it helps get a grip on the ear hair and helps to keep the ears dried out, too.
I am not sadistic about ear hair pulling- I've seen groomers twist the ear hair with hemostats and yank it all at once!
I pull small amounts at a time- straight out- if you do it crooked it hurts more.
And yes, there are some screamers, but most dogs don't mind too much.
[notify]
Jade- Alexandria

Dont mess with- me, I'm- chihuahua!

Barked: Tue Oct 28, '08 10:57am PST 
Groomers will use the hempstats to twist and pull because that means one good yank and its gone, compared to many yanks and minutes of pain compared to get the few seconds. This is especially if the hair hasn't been plucked in months! Yes its going to hurt, because it hasn't been done in such a long time! Bad owner for not taking the dog to get groomed. First time puppies like Brinkly have ear full of hair because its been growing since birth and never done. Some dogs get used to it, some don't.

When the ear gets plugged with hair, dirt and water can still get in, but there is nothing to clean it out, no air, and no ear cleaner can get through. That causes the ear infections, so its justr easier to keep it clear of debris and cleaned. If it gets pulled monthly it won't be a big deal because it will be so thin, it won't hurt as much.
[notify]
Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Tue Oct 28, '08 11:53am PST 
Excuse me, Jade, are you calling me a bad owner, or are you referring to someone else? Bingley HAS been to the groomers several times for the same grooming treatment, this was just the first time I showed up too early and was there for his ear hair plucking. I'll thank you for not assuming the worst when you don't even know me, and bad on you for doing so to begin with. I was simply asking for advice to help this process get easier for him.
[notify]
wilbur- ☮

big black- snugglebug

Barked: Tue Oct 28, '08 1:13pm PST 
BOL- Bingly! Jade didn't call anyone a bad owner! eek

All Jade did was give you advice.... cleaning the dog's ears regularly.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4