GO!

Fun poodle doos

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gracie - In Loving- Memory

Service with a- Smile! : )

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 11:01am PST 
Anyone have any fun Poodle hair dos out there?

Know of any great websites showing more than just show, sporting and puppy poodle clips?

I was recently given a poodle and have been having fun with the haircut thing! Might as well get the wild poodle do thing out of my system.

Note* I've only had him for a few weeks. Soon I'll get "Clifford" his own dogster page.
[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 11:39am PST 
Yay for poodles! My favorite fun clip is the Ponydoodle, but in our case we'll probably only ever do it for Halloween!

We bought The Poodle Clipping and Grooming Book by Shirlee Kalstone. It has a whole bunch of poodle cuts and how to do them. I think about half the book has pictures of the different cuts and explains how to get them on your dog. The other half of the book has some interesting poodle grooming history, detailed instructions for beginners at grooming, a look at international cuts etc. We've found this book really helpful, and frequently consult it when grooming. My favorite fun clip in the book is the Desi cut.

Though with all the fun clips to choose from, we've pretty much decided that the retriver cut is what we like for the body. We do a more retro headpiece, with a short topknot, clipped ears, and no line over the ears, and we cut the tail to the length of the body hair.
[notify]
Tank

Mars is covered- in BBQs!

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 1:21pm PST 
Not that I have anything to contribute here, but that ponydoodle haircut is the most awesome thing ever! big laugh
[notify]

Pepe - Forever Loved

Running wild at- the Bridge

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 1:30pm PST 
The pony poodle is to funny laugh out loud Generally I don't like dyed dogs (or outrageous poodle cuts) but that standard poodle really looks like a ponylaugh out loud
[notify]
Goofball - CGC, CL1

Just Goofy.

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 8:31pm PST 
OMG, the pony poodle. I did try something like that with my poodle mix but I quit after she looked a little odd. Maybe I should have grown the mane out longer...haha So tempting to try again... or save that experiment for another dog later down the road.

My favorite cut to do for my dog is the continental without the butt poms. I also don't like long ears so I keep them shorter and shaped like ears, plus I love to have the hair on top of the head long to tie up.
[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 9:50pm PST 
The only problem with the ponydoodle cut is that we wouldn't be able to keep Ollie in it for longer than about a week-- can you imagine trying to go into a store with a SDIT in a ponydoodle cut?! I don't think people would take us very seriously! So that would mean having to do another grooming session really soon after doing the first one. Still, we'll see-- you might just see a ponydoodle this Halloween!
[notify]
Lucy & Holly- - JRT & Rattie

Terrier

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 1:39am PST 
laugh out loud That ponydoodle cut is absolutely the funniest thing I've seen in a long time! I agree Shirlee's poodle book is really helpful!

Edited by author Thu Sep 11, '08 1:41am PST

[notify]
Zeus

I'm momma's- little boy!

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 12:31pm PST 
My mom-e likes my cut. She's calls it my Howard Stern do.
[notify]
Lola

Poodle, not- doodle!

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 2:52pm PST 
i love arpeggio poodles ( google it) Lola is now in the town and country but she doesnt have any pictures of it on her page.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 5:14pm PST 
Ponydoodle! That is hilarious! laugh out loud

My favorite poodle 'do is not something that most people would be willing to do but which is a traditional poodle cut-- the corded poodle. It is a lot of work and hard to keep it up (if they get wet or are bathed, they must be hand-dried completely which takes hours) but I love how it looks!

Here is a corded poodle with a typical poodle cut:
http://www.melspets ervices.com/corded.jpg

Here is a corded poodle with the fur mostly kept long all over:
http: //www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/738/40419.JPG

Edited by author Thu Sep 11, '08 5:15pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2