GO!

Cockapoo cut

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Schatzie

laser- dot!...laser- dot!...laser- dot!...

Barked: Mon Jun 30, '08 9:41pm PST 
We don't really know for certain that Schatzie is a Cockapoo, but it's the consensus from those we've talked to. Anyway, when we adopted her she was quite fluffy and had a very heavy "mustache". She is now pretty clean cut all over and I have to say, I think she looks adorable. I love the contrast between the short face and body, and the long ears and full tail. Even though Schatzie spends most of her time indoors, our climate is so hot that I think she probably needs to be cut short in the summer.

Now, I know there are many schools of thought on how to trim a Cockapoo and that there is no standard trim. I have also heard some people get very adamant that there is a standard or that one cut is better than another. So, I was curious to hear the opinions of other dogsters on the "best" cut for a cockapoo.
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Tue Jul 1, '08 8:25am PST 
One good thing about any mix breed is you can be very creative with them there are all kinds of things you can do. First thing I look at is does the cockapoo look more poodle. I groom some that look more poodle and they get the poodle face and body and they look so cute. I like the hair cut on yours for your particular type I think that style looks very cute. I also saw the longer mustache that looks adorable to. I like the cleaner cut personally the one that you have as your display picture. Its really just a personal preference I think and thats the whole fun of mix breeds is that there is so much you can do.
[notify]
Schatzie

Barked: Tue Jul 1, '08 1:33pm PST 
I agree Daisy, I think it depends on the individual dog. To me the clean face suits Schatzie more than the full look. And now she looks more like a girl!!laugh out loud Everyone thought she was a boy before her haircut!
[notify]

Jade- Alexandria

Dont mess with- me, I'm- chihuahua!

Barked: Sat Jul 5, '08 5:06pm PST 
NO standard cut. With a Teddy Bear Head she looks like a ShihTzu Poodle Mix. But with the clean face yes, a cockapoo. The good thing about cockapoos that both cockers and poodles get their faces shaved. So no wrong way to do it.
[notify]
Schatzie

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 2:46pm PST 
Someone else mentioned the possibility of her being part Shih tzu, Jade-Alexandria, but, like you said, she looks more Cockapoo now. When you see her in person you can really see the Cocker look in her face. I read another website where the author said Cockapoos looked ugly with a shaved face. Of course, she's entitled to her opinion but she was very harsh about it. Oh well, it's all personal taste! I just find it interesting to see what other owners do.smile
[notify]
Jade- Alexandria

Dont mess with- me, I'm- chihuahua!

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 5:00pm PST 
Most cockapoos that I groom get Teddy Bear Heads. Of course, its prefrence, so its for you to decide what is best. Some cokapoos look more like cockers so those are the ones that usually opt for the clean look with cocker ears. I have 2 I groom at the top of my head that get groomed like cocker spaniels.
[notify]
Nefertiti

Queen of the- Squeakies!

Barked: Wed Jul 9, '08 7:50pm PST 
we have one "cockerpoo" that comes in and the owner wants the body left kinda long, and clean face and clean feet. She ends up looking like a standard poodle puppy, because she's got those big cocker feet. Very cute.
[notify]
Schatzie

Barked: Thu Jul 10, '08 10:44am PST 
That's funny, Nefertiti, Schatzie has those big Cocker feet, too! We joke that she's made up of different parts. Poodle body, Cocker feet , ears and tail! The cut you describe sounds like what I wanted for Schatzie the last time I took her in, but they cut her really short. It's no big deal, its only hair.
[notify]
Molly

Food? Where?

Barked: Thu Jul 24, '08 12:25pm PST 
It might depend on the features...Molly has a slightly different face shape from some other cockapoos. Different groomers have done different things with her face hair, and one of them cut it like a poodle (i.e. shaved it). It was pretty sad to look at for a while, and she didn't seem like herself. Coincidentally, there were 5 other poodles in the place that day. I should have waited for Cocker day!

We like the cut in her display photo best, which ends up growing out to a rounder look. I don't know; would a Cockapoo with a longer nose need more or less hair left? On the rest of her body we have them leave 1/2" all over.
[notify]
Lucy

Angel Puppy

Barked: Fri Jul 25, '08 7:38am PST 
We used to get Lucy a Bichon clip.
Her build was very bichon-like and it fit her perfectly. If it weren't for the fact she was cream colored, rather than white, she looked like one.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2