GO!

Stinky, smelly face on Holly (shih tzu)

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Holly

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 8:48am PST 
Hi..I'm wondering if anyone can give me tips or suggestions on how to keep Holly's face smelling as nice as the rest of her.

She gets fully groomed every 6-8 weeks...I like to keep her fairly short (little longer in the winter). She smells heavenly for about a week and a half after she has visited the groomer.

Then she really starts to stink again...I bath her about once a week....and I do wash her face as best I can (it's hard with such a short snout area, etc)... The smell doesn't go away though...she still smells after a bath...I have noticed it's only her face area. It's not her ears. I've also tried some baby wipes to clean her face....and that hasn't really helped either.

She doesn't seem overly teary either.

Any suggestions?

Also wondering if maybe someone can suggest a nice shampoo to use on her. (My groomer won't tell me the name of what she uses that makes her smell sooo nice...).

Thanks!
[notify]
Gracie

Princess Grace,- that's me!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 12:16pm PST 
If you're bathing your dog yourself, you might want to look into the blueberry facial . It makes the dogs face smell wonderful...like blueberries, makes the face brighter and if used regularly can help with tear staining. You can find it at the southbark website. I use it on all my customers dogs and they absolutely rave about it. Spa Lavish also has a facial that has a blueberry /vanilla scent.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 12:17pm PST 
Inbetween shampoos and to wipe any stinky butts that occur mummy actually uses Kitty bathing wipes. These are large pre-moistened wipes that smell very pretty indeed (unlike some of the doggy bath wipes that mummy thinks stink)! She gets them at Walmart. They do the trick really well between baths and even make Pepe smell nice after his nice smelling monthly groom has worn off.

I can't fine the actual ones on the web but they are in the kitty aisle in Walmart.
[notify]

Boston

King of- everything

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 12:18pm PST 
I like the spa lavish line. They also have blueberry facial. It takes eye stains away over time and leaves the face smelling very nice. Also maybe anytime you see eyes running wipe with a kleenex thats what I do. It helps to prevent any build up of smelly gunk.
[notify]
Olive

sittin' pretty- since 2003

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '07 11:18am PST 
I'll third the Spa Lavish Blueberry Facial... I absolutley love it! I use it on all the dogs I groom. Smells so nice! Tell your groomer to stop being so tight lipped and instead buy some smaller bottles to sell in her shop so her customers can use the products. Makes money for her and keeps the customers happy!
[notify]
Star Shines- Luna Sprite

Skin is in!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '07 5:18pm PST 
We use the Spa line in our grooming shop, I LOVE it! cheer
[notify]
Cupcake

Busy Body

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '08 9:57am PST 
My shihtuz's face around the eyes always smells bad too. I use Baby shampoo on her face ,(no tears Johnson's)The eyes teae and it makes the hair wet around the eye area and thats where the bad odor sets in. I also use baby wipes around her eyes at leat three times a day. It's an on going problem. My vet says to keep the hair around her eyes trimmed but I'm afraid she might get cut. I trim it mysel about once every 2 weeks but I cant' get close enough. I don't want to have an accident.
[notify]
Bluebell &- Azra

Who's calling me- a Poodle?

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '08 7:54pm PST 
Cupcake, I advise all of my clients not to use human products on their dogs. Huamns have a ph balance this is slightly acidic, while a dog's ph is alkaline. Our shampoos, etc. can wreak havoc on thier skin and coats.

As for the dampness around the eyes, you will want to dry the hair with facial tissue rather than dampen it with baby wipes. The moisture is a breeding ground for yeast, which causes staining and odor.

If you need around his eyes trimmed well but are too nervous to do it yourself, most groomers will offer this service for a nominal fee. Shih tzus tend to have a lot of eye/hair issues so I have quite a few who stop in very few weeks for a quick eye trim to keep that hair at bay. Best of luck.
[notify]