GO!

Removing Dog/cat hair from comforter/bedding

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Beauregard- aka "Bo"

It's a dog's- life....

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '07 7:19am PST 
From what we can tell, Bo is an Aussie Shepherd/Lab mix. His hair is mostly medium in length and he sheds like CRAZY. When he gets on my beds, his hair is almost impossible to remove from my comforter because it pokes into the material.

I've tried the sticky tape type rollers for removing the dog (and cat) hair and I can use and entire roll and still have hair on the bed.

I'm having company in for Thanksgiving, and really want to get the pet hair up (without having to buy a new comf0rter).

Any suggestions??

Thanks!!
[notify]
Lady

woofs and kisses

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '07 5:12pm PST 
We have the same problem with dog/cat hair everywhere confused Noodles has informed me of a really great product called FURMINATOR which also sells stripping brushes that really get into the undercoat to help prevent shedding. As for the fur that is already there...we usually manage to get most stuff up after washing/drying the blankets (you really don't want to see the lint trap after a drylaugh out loud)
[notify]
Maggie CTL1 RE CGC

Bar Hoppin'

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '07 1:50am PST 
Mom finally caved and bought a few comforter covers. They cost anywhere from $20-300 depending on thread count and fabric. Also mom only lets me sleep on my own blankets.

We use the Furminator and it cuts down a lot, but I still shed quite a bit (mom would be constantly covered in hair without it).

Another thing that sometimes works is vacuuming them...it just takes some work and a few good holders. Mom uses the flat attachment and runs it all over the fabric (she sometimes hangs the blankets up and just goes crazy with the vacuum).

Also...if you can't get the hair out in time, just tell people that the hair adds extra warmth!
[notify]

King

King

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '07 4:23am PST 
I use a rubber brush called Sweepa to get dog hair off of furniture, comforters and our clothes. They are hanging in the cleaning isle of walmart where the sponges and rubber gloves are.

Washing and drying your comforter is probably your best bet. I have to take ours to the laundry mat because they are too big for my washing machine.
[notify]
King

King

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '07 4:32am PST 
Here is the Sweepa website. I forgot to mention you can also use it on your dog to get all of the loose hair off after brushing them.
[notify]
Ashleigh RN

Let's play- chase!

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '07 10:47am PST 
Hi Bo wave

With 2 Shelties and 5 doggies total in our house mom and Aunt Laura also deal with bunches of hair! They have a Dyson Animal vacuum and use the mini turbine head on both of their comforters but you can use any attachment to get the hair off the comforter. In between vacuuming they each have one of those Sweepa brushes and it works really well. If you wet the brush while you are using it the hair just rolls up and you can pull it off! Good Luck!
[notify]
Ashleigh RN

Let's play- chase!

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '07 10:51am PST 
Hi Bo wave

With 2 Shelties and 5 doggies total in our house mom and Aunt Laura also deal with bunches of hair! They have a Dyson Animal vacuum and use the mini turbine head on both of their comforters but you can use any attachment to get the hair off the comforter. In between vacuuming they each have one of those Sweepa brushes and it works really well. If you wet the brush while you are using it the hair just rolls up and you can pull it off! Good Luck!
[notify]
Maggie CTL1 RE CGC

Bar Hoppin'

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '07 8:08pm PST 
I forgot about the Sweepa!!! My parents use that because they have sheddy cats...it works great for their couch & curtains.
[notify]
Cisco

i just want you- to be happy

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '07 11:39pm PST 
applause Just bought a new vacuum it is call Infinity and is a pet care system the hand held beater brush took care of all hair NOW!
We’re babysitting a Golden Retriever and she sheds.
I got it at Overstock with a 2-year warranty; we’ll see I have gone through a vaccum a year since moving out on the place.
[notify]
Ursa Bella- Minima

I'm a hound- dog...

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '07 9:34am PST 
When I get the blankets furry mom throws them in the dryer... Effective but Grandma isn't very happy if mom forgets the lint trap!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2