GO!

best way to remove burrs?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Kelly

I was born to- run

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '07 3:21pm PST 
Kelly went into the bushes this afternoon and came back with lots of burrs in her feathering and they were really tangled up. I ended up cutting most of them out because the burrs were still green and thus I cant really crush them with pliers. I disentangled a few but what a major pain!!

Unfortunately some of Kelly's feathering is now gone so I hope it grows back nicely (even though she's not a show dog)
[notify]
Rally Pood

Hand over the- treats'n nobody- gets hurt!

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '07 3:25pm PST 
Burs come out easily after a luke warm bath with quality products. As the coat air dries, gently use a slicker brush, a greyhound comb and your fingers as needed. I recommend the Coat Handler system by Senproco which also includes an excellent detangling spray called "Sensational."

Edited by author Sun Aug 12, '07 3:26pm PST

[notify]
Angel

Miss Tiny H iny

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '07 3:41pm PST 
Mama used to have that problem with my predecessor, Chauncey...
who was a long haired miniature Daschund. With cockleburs.
She just grabbed the cocklebur and held it still and took a TOOTHPICK and very gently used the toothpick to get under some
hair and bring the hair up and out of the burr. She just kept repeating this process til all the hair was out/off of the burr. That way....she didn't pull on the burr....which would have pulled the skin on his leg and hurt.... Worked like a charm every time.....way to go
[notify]

Lucky

It's just- natural cuteness

Barked: Mon Aug 27, '07 6:13pm PST 
Get em wet, get em soapy and then brush em out with the soap in. They break right up. Easiest way for the dog too.
[notify]
Cider RXMCL- AGDC AADC- MSDC MJD

Agility Hound

Barked: Sun Sep 2, '07 6:59pm PST 
I pull most out by hand.. The ones that are in really badly I slowly comb out with a metal comb.. Takes a while though. Cider got about 100 in her 4 weeks ago. took 2 hours to deburr her.
[notify]
Nate

he's our angel- :)

Barked: Tue Sep 4, '07 11:26pm PST 
this summer was the first time i ever got burrs...yuk!!! they got stuck under my paws in between all my hairscrycry...mommy found them as she was washing my paws...she was able to pull most of them out & cut out whatever she was unable to pull out frown
[notify]
Kelly

I was born to- run

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '07 9:45am PST 
cider, ohmigod. eek

Poor Nate. But they are gone finally!!! snoopy

So Kelly got some more burrs this morning chasing a squirrel. We managed to remove most at the park but she still has a couple buried in her fur.

Edited by author Thu Sep 6, '07 9:46am PST

[notify]