GO!

want to groom my dog on my own

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
oreo

compulsive- licker

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '07 2:40pm PST 
does anyone here groom their own dog? I have a shih tzu, right now he's in a short cut, which i'd like to keep, can anyone recommend a razor to get? what kind of blades and scissors to get if i want to groom him myself, which i would highly love to do

right now i cut the hair around his eyes, and occassionaly trim his hair around his wee wee area too when he's sleeping
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '07 4:42am PST 
Not really sure as to blades and such for a shih tzu. But i cut my scottie's hair myself. of course it is not really long yet. i shaved her down in Jan. due to her having bald spots from flea allergies. But now have started the scottie pattern again and have her on frontline.

But i do know that i was told only to get expensive clippers but got a pair of $25.00 Wahl Clippers for christmas from a friend. and have used them about 8 times counting mom's scottie (which has tons of hair) and they are still doing good. They came from walmart and when they get dull i will just get another pair. It has already saved me and mom about $200.00 for doing it ourselves.

If your dog is really well behaved for u i see no reason that u cant do it yourself. Just start out slow and take your time and just experiment. Maybe someone on here can tell u the attachments u need and such for a shih tzu's haircut. Good luck!

ps thinning scissors are a great thing to have too. i used them on my longhaired dachshund. He has places that get really poofy that i dont wanna just cut so i thin it.

Edited by author Sat Jun 9, '07 4:44am PST

[notify]
Honey

Sleep on the- floor - yeah right!!

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '07 4:04pm PST 
It depends what sort of cut - if you dont mind nothing to fancy to start with then yes by all means have a go - but it isnt always easy and it takes PRACTICE> Andis clippers are good for that sort of grooming and should last the dog out for sure. Depending how short id say a 5f blade for his back - scissor his legs or clip on a 5f if you dont want anything fancy. Its a lot more in depth than anything I could write here and Id seriously suggest you get shown a few times how to handle the clippers - used wrongly they can cause serious damage.
[notify]

Jayne

Jayne - Always a Clown!

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '07 9:01pm PST 
I cut Jayne's hair myself. You will want to buy a clipper set, it will have all the gaurds you need plus a trimmer that you can use in the ears and between the dogs pads. I have a wahls clipper set from walmart and usually you can find them pretty reasonable i think i gave $40.00 for the set. I have had them for a year and a half and jayne's hair is alot like a shih tzu so you shouldn't have any trouble. The only problem is you really want to be careful on the face ears and well around tender spots because sometimes their skin can slip into the blade. As for scissors I don't use any kind of fancy scissors only to trim in between her eyes. My clippers have saved me all kinds of money and if you oil them properly and keep them clean they should last for a long time.
[notify]
Lucy Lu

I love life!! - So should you!!

Barked: Sun Jun 10, '07 9:22am PST 
Honey's mom must be a groomer like my mom. Don't scrimp on your clippers. Andis is the best pet clipper. Ordering on line or through a catalog like PetEdge is the best for your money. Ask your groomer how to handle the clippers or there are lots of dvd's too to show you basic grooming. Get a pair of clippers with detatchable blades so you can switch blades as you like. The universal ones don't stay sharp for very long. You can also get scissors at PetEdge.com. You don't need fancy ones. But please be careful. My mommy's vet she works for sees at least one owner created cut a month from trying to do it yourself. There are some great books out there too. Dogs move and twitch and you have to learn how to anticipate there moves. Mom's always groomed all her own dogs even when she wasn't a groomer. It's a great way to know your dog better. Good luck.
[notify]
Honey

Sleep on the- floor - yeah right!!

Barked: Sun Jun 10, '07 2:59pm PST 
BOL LucuLu bet ya can spot those groomers a mile of eh - I know I can such a bore having a mummy who grooms shes always at me......dont tell her but I love it really I love to look beautiful cheer And you are very pretty I always think your coats looks very well groomed way to go
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Sun Jun 10, '07 5:49pm PST 
Yeah u do have to be careful as not to hurt the doggie. But if is really well behaved it should be okay. Allee was already used to the groomers so she doesnt move around much.

My clippers were the Wahl ones. U can get the $20 set or the $40 at walmart. The $40 one has more attachments and stuff.

I may get more expensive ones later on. But can't afford them now. Mine were a gift to so i had nothing to lose trying them out and so far they have worked good for us.
[notify]
oreo

compulsive- licker

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '07 5:17pm PST 
i'm not looking for anything fancy, he can even be lopsided and he's still cute, gonna try the andis clipper, so far though i've only used the sissor, and have trimmed everywhere on his body, the clipper will make shaving his top part much more easier, thanks guys
[notify]
Gabrielle

Stop! You little- fart-nugget!

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '07 7:05pm PST 
I have two other dogs which are a Lhasa and a Lhasa/Dachshund mix. Like the Shih Tzu, they have a very soft hair that oftens pushes over easily while clipping. I use the 5F on the top and sides and then use a 3.5 on the legs as I like them longer. I agree with your conclusion that your little guy will look cute no matter what happens. You will quickly learn this craft as you will be trimming often. My Grandpa used to say "The only difference between a good haircut and a bad one is 3 days!" Best wishes!
[notify]
Cookie

I'm much bigger- than I look

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '07 9:44am PST 
I have 2 shi-tsus that have 2 different types of coats and have always clipped them myself. (14 years) I started out with low-end clippers ( I have 4 different brands) and ended up getting the expensive Andis. The difference? Much quicker because the blades are superior, motor's faster, (used to take me ALL afternoon for the 2 dogs) no more nicks because it really glides through hair. The DVD that comes with the clippers is very helpful for the tricky parts. My Andis was well worth the money for the time it saved me. My dogs are always surprized now when I'm all done and the sun isn't even going down yet!!!laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2