GO!

Single Coated Breeds? List Please?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Rocky

Got Food?

Barked: Tue May 15, '07 9:20am PST 
Does your breed have a single coat. '

I thought that non-shedding breeds had single coats, but just found out that is not true. I was surprised to read the Havanese, Shih Tzu, and Tibetan Terrier have an undercoat.

The breeds I know with a single coat are:

Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Bichon
Papillon
Chinese Crested

If you know of other single coated breeds, could you add to this list please?

Thanks ahead of time.dancing
[notify]
Missie

Teeth kisses for- everyone!

Barked: Tue May 15, '07 10:55am PST 
Ooops. I just read that the Bichon Frise has an undercoat. This is very confusing. My mother- in-law thinks her's doesn't, and we'll just leave it like that though.big grin

Portuguese Water Dogs are single coated.
Poodles are as well.

Still looking for more.
[notify]
Katie

I am the- Dreamsicle-you- may kiss my nose

Barked: Tue May 15, '07 11:16am PST 
I have been told that Britts have a single cooat and that is why they don't shed much except at Spring and Fall. Not sure about that and can't find anything that says one way or the other. But Katie really doesn't shed much-except for the last week or two, that has been non-stop hair.
[notify]

Rocky

Got Food?

Barked: Wed May 16, '07 8:59am PST 
Thanks Katie

I've been compiling a list. I am interested in this because my family's allergist suggested single coats are better for us. Not necessarily lo-shedding. He is more worried about the allergens that get caught in the undercoat and coat, as we live in a rural area and our dogs are outside running through the grass and all the stuff that we have allergies to. (There are no allergies to dogs here though).

Missie does have an undercoat, but it is sparse, and doesn't seem to cause allergy troubles, but then, we keep her bathed and brushed. Rocky has no undercoat and seems to be ideal.

Here is the list I have compiled so far. I would welcome alterations or additions.

Single Shedding Breeds

Afghan hounds
Basenjis (not all)
Borzois
Bolognese
Brittany Spaniel
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Curly Coated Retriever
Doberman Pinscher
English Toy
French Bulldog
German Shorthaired Pointer
Japanese Chin
Lousiana Catahoula Leopard Dog
Lowchen
Mi Ki
Papillon
Portuguese Podengo Medio
Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier
Chi hua huas (Not all)
Tenterfield Terrier

Single lo(non)-shedding Breeds (I think these breeds need clips?)

Maltese
Poodle
Yorkshire Terrier
Coton De Tulear
Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier
Kerry Blue Terriers
Portuguese Water Dog

Double coated lo(non)-shedding Breeds

Shih Tzu
Lhasa Apso
Bichon Frise
Schnauzer
Havanese
West Highland White Terrier

big grin
[notify]
Taco

I LOVE water!!!

Barked: Wed May 16, '07 10:17am PST 
I just want to mention that powderpuff chinese crested are low shed but have a double coat like any other dogs. The ones that are single coat are the hairy hairless ones and the very hairy hairless ones. The true hairless have single coat on their feathers and crest if they have some.
The hairy Mexican Hairless dogs or Xolo or Xoloitzcuintli are single coated too if I'm not wrong.
[notify]
Jackie Poo,- NPC

I swear, I- didn't do it

Barked: Wed May 16, '07 10:46am PST 
You may want to add the Bedlington Terrier. I think they're single-coated.

You're right on both the Podengo Medio and the Kerry Blue but I'd add a note about each.

Firstly, the Podengo Portugeso is the actual breed name. Medio is just the size category. Podengos come in 3 sizes and 2 coat types (wirehaired and smooth). Medio is portuguese for medium. They're single-coated shedders, as you believed. Really good in my experience for pollen allergies though. Not an absorbant coat at all and a good brushing gives you a squeaky clean dog provided they haven't rolled in goop/sticky stuff. The wirehair seems sparser than the smooth though even though the hairs are harder. If the dog has white markings they can sunburn. For more info you can go to www.podengos.com
Kerry blues are terrible for pollen allergies and the sad irony is that a lot of kerries seem to suffer from allergies themselves. That wool they sport for fur just traps EVERYTHING. They can however be bathed very frequently without damage so that's a good thing and helps both dog and human. Also, keeping the fur shorter than the traditional "kerry clip" keeps down the amount of stuff they pick up.
[notify]
Ch Mica de- Retrouvaille

Barked: Tue May 18, '10 4:38pm PST 
It's not the hair, it's the dander. A lot of people who thought we might be less allergenic returned us to the breeder. We do not like bouncing around from home to home. Nobody does!
[notify]
Luna

Lemme at 'em!

Barked: Wed May 19, '10 7:03am PST 
Add Minpin to single coated list? No undercoat so to speak of. smile
[notify]