GO!

American Eskimo Grooming

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Walter

KISS ME!!!

Barked: Sat Apr 28, '07 8:19am PST 
I have an American Eskimo puppy. I am thinking about getting him shaved, anybody have advice. Summers get really hot in Kansas, and right now it is kind of warm, but we get a lot of rain and our yard has some dirt that turns into a mud pit, which the dogs love. I'm tired of giving him a bath twice a day it seems. What kind of cut would you recommend?
[notify]
Phoenix

It's good to be- the princess!

Barked: Sat Apr 28, '07 8:09pm PST 
You could shave your eskie, but, I never recommend that as a first choice. Only as a last resort. I would try to take your pup to a professional groomer to have all of that extra undercoat removed. Unfortunately, your pup will keep requiring frequent baths, no matter what the length of hair, as long as he plays in the mud. I know it must be tough to have a dirt-loving white dog. Good luck!way to go
[notify]
Clutch(King- Clutch Of- Westport

AKA..I'M letting- you pet me!!

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 7:27pm PST 
You can shave some hair off but not real short don't go past the undercoat!!. I groom a american esk and his coat is ruined because they have shaved him to short his whole life.I cant event separate his hair to see his skin that is how cotton like it is. It isn't event nice to touch or pet him.Make sure your groomer doesn't go to short. I would not go shorter than a( # zero comb attachment.)
[notify]

Rally Pood

Hand over the- treats'n nobody- gets hurt!

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 8:03pm PST 
Shaving doesn't ruin the coat, it just takes time (sometimes years) for it to grow out and be replaced by a completely new coat. Keeping the coat maintained properly during this time is VERY important, or you may find you have to start all over again due to extreme matting. It's also possible that if your dog has a health condition (such as hypothyroidism, Cushings disease, diabetes, etc.) this may prevent the hair from growing in normally. With this in mind, if dealing with patchy regrowth and/or the prolonged (sometimes tricky) maintenance required after shaving, regular visits to your groomer for deshedding may be a better idea.
[notify]
Clutch(King- Clutch Of- Westport

AKA..I'M letting- you pet me!!

Barked: Wed May 2, '07 5:55pm PST 
Pood ...If it take years to grow back and the owner is ok with looking at their dog unhealthy coat for years then go for it. I have many dogs that have nasty coats as a result of the owner letting a groomer shave them down every summer. I like a soft combable coat not one that is like cotton and you don't want to touch it because it feels harsh.

Just my two cents or my opinion no harm.....Clutch
[notify]
Austin

Barked: Wed May 2, '07 9:14pm PST 
Shaving your type of dog will not keep it cooler. Eskimos have a top coat, the coarse hair, and an undercoat (the soft stuff that sheds). The top coat helps to keep the dog cooler, and protected from the sun. If you shave off that top coat, you are just left with the fuzzy undercoat, and your dog will actually get hotter. It is very common in these types of breeds that the hair will grow back patchy, or sometimes not at all if you shave it.
If you are concerned about your dog keeping cool, you need to buy an undercoat rake, or go to a groomer for a deshedding process. Brushing out the loose undercoat (the insulation) is the only thing that will keep your dog cool.
[notify]
Turbo

Lets go- camping!!!

Barked: Sun May 6, '07 12:14pm PST 
I have an american eskimo and his coat naturally stays clean. He stays outside 90% of the time. When he gets muddy, the dirt falls off when he dries. That is the way the coat is. Dirt and mud does not stick to the hair of his coat. He is 9 years old and the only thing that we have ever done to him, was bath him about once a month and brush him daily. Shaving ruins the natural cleaning of his coat. This of course is just my opinion, but my eskie stays clean on his own
[notify]
The Great- Gatsby

'Tocks up!

Barked: Sun May 20, '07 12:38am PST 
I've also seen mentioned in numerous places that this breed has thinner and more sensitive skin than many others, and it's important not to shave them to avoid sunburn and exposure problems (as well as the coat growing back in poorly). In fact for this same reason it also seems that frequent washings are not really good for them either as it irritates their skin.

My eskie mix certainly has a coat similar to the one described in the previous post, where literally 99% of the mud, etc will come out of his fur if just given time to dry. Most of the time I don't really need to brush much of it out as a lot just falls right off. It's pretty amazing, actually.
[notify]
Lumi Pallo

Barked: Thu Jul 14, '11 8:46am PST 
I know this is an inactive thread but for anyone finding this via a search engine as I did I wanted to say you should NEVER shave your Eskie! Their fur is hollow, much like a polar bear, and acts as an insulator in winter and a cooler in summer. Your dog will pant when it's hot outside and have low energy... this is normal. Let nature take care of your dog! If you shave it you are risking messing with it's natural insulation, protection from the sun (their skin is sensitive!) and not to mention potentially ruining their coats! Their skin will be more accessible to sun, feas, ticks, sticks (cutting), etc. PLEASE NEVER SHAVE AN ESKIE!!!

If you are really feeling sorry for it in summer, keep it in the shade, lots of cool water to drink, keep it in AC, give it a cooling bath, my eskie loves to swim so take it to a dog beach!
[notify]